323 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
familychoice says

@familychoice, We are mainly concerned with low ratings.

I know you are, but as a customer I’m also interested in who is rating items with 5 stars when some of these items have a lot of issues and negative feedback in their comments section.

By focusing your attentions solely on removing bogus low ratings and ignoring potentially bogus higher ratings there is a very real prospect of artificially raised ratings.

The unfortunate truth of these low ratings for the most part will be out of bad experience due to inexpertise of the buyer. What use is this to other buyers ? It will only bring about negative press for the product and damage the author.

Low ratings are awarded for a whole range of reasons, some of which authors will disagree with, and customers may not. Hiding comments isn’t going to help authors, as I’ve said before customers are quite capable of making their own decisions about whether bad feedback is deserved or not.

Quite frankly, the reviews are there to allow us some insight into why the buyer is frustrated enough to rate the item low. The public comments section is again the best place for what your asking :P

I’ve read may times on here that’s exactly what the comments section isn’t for, and complaints and feedback are flagged and removed. Time and time again authors complain about this and state the comments section should be reserved for pre-sales enquiries.

I’m happy for this section to be used for feedback, as long as you’re prepared to ensure feedback isn’t removed, and will explain to authors the reason for this change.

283 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Deep_Blue says

The main purpose of comments on low rating is to help the author know what went wrong, and what needs to be improved in his item. Because of this purpose it makes sense that the reviews are only shown to the author. The second purpose is to reduce spam ratings or even sabotage from competitors (think about it).

However I think it is fair for the buyers that reviews are made public and comments are made compulsory on all rating.

159 posts
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
s4nji says

Low ratings are awarded for a whole range of reasons, some of which authors will disagree with, and customers may not. Hiding comments isn’t going to help authors, as I’ve said before customers are quite capable of making their own decisions about whether bad feedback is deserved or not.
Before the reviews for ratings of 3, 2, and 1 stars are made mandatory, there were lots of (bogus) 1 star reviews which hurts items’ sales – and many authors disagreed on –, and nothing was told to the author. The key problem is “Authors not knowing why they get low ratings”. Reviews are now mandatory to low ratings, to provide the authors informations and feedbacks regarding their items to make it better.

By focusing your attentions solely on removing bogus low ratings and ignoring potentially bogus higher ratings there is a very real prospect of artificially raised ratings.
I believe making reviews to all ratings including 4 and 5 stars mandatory does not prevent bogus high ratings. Neither does making the reviews public. Let’s trust Envato to prevent this one.
323 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
familychoice says

Before the reviews for ratings of 3, 2, and 1 stars are made mandatory, there were lots of (bogus) 1 star reviews which hurts items’ sales – and many authors disagreed on –, and nothing was told to the author. The key problem is “Authors not knowing why they get low ratings”. Reviews are now mandatory to low ratings, to provide the authors informations and feedbacks regarding their items to make it better.

I understand that, and as I’ve said I don’t have an issue with this. My query is why this information is to be kept hidden from other customers.

I believe making reviews to all ratings including 4 and 5 stars mandatory does not prevent bogus high ratings.

So, if you’re saying compulsory feedback isn’t going to prevent bogus high ratings, how will it prevent bogus low ratings? Either it works, or it doesn’t, and if it does then it should work for any level of rating.

by
by
by
by
by
by