• Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Community Moderator
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
+6 more
Reaper-Media Volunteer moderator says

Dude! Sometimes they just really get on my nerves, my pc decided to corrupt half of my email storage folders (sorry ben, that included your one!) and a load of other files including the main index.php for my new website (I can download that back off my server though!

So, I backed up all the files I could, then chkdsk deleted all the corrupt files and sorted ou my drive. This, I think, is a real wake-up call for me to backup all my stuff a little more (anything is better than the current “never” :D ) I think I’ll order a couple of sandisk 64GB flag drives, until I can save up for two 2tb data drives and an enclosure configure to raid 1 :D

I know I’m gonna get loads of posts saying, “dude! Backup more!” and I probably deserve it :D

But anyway, aswell as just ranting on about my mistakes, and crappy NTFS HDs, I thought it would be a good topic starter for us guys to discuss our experiences with data storage and backup. I know what my dream data setup would be! What’s yours?

3868 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
+4 more
flashjunkie says

dude! Backup more!

Ive got a 250gb WD External USD HDD and a 1tb WD External USB HDD .

:)

1603 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Beta Tester
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+9 more
PatrikL Reviewer says

I know how it is mate :P I lost almost 400gb of data once.. (back when I used PC) :P Not fun at all though.. But after I switched to Mac 4 years ago I´ve never had any problems.. (yet anyways)

But yeah, you should have done more backups :P (I learned after my loss of 400gb :P )

4335 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Community Moderator
  • Exclusive Author
+6 more

400GB!!! Ouch! That is bad man! Yeah, I partitioned off my drive when I first got it, I think I will run this awesome bit of sync software like…weekly. I downloaded it today! Works like an absolute charm ;) :)

7184 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Beta Tester
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+1 more
doru says

I never leave important data on my computer for more that necessary. I burn it on triple copy DVDs and rewrite them every two years. Then I do not have terabytes of data so maybe this solution will not work for you.

4335 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Community Moderator
  • Exclusive Author
+6 more

Damn, I was gonna edit my first post, but I noticed this too late :D : you know where it says two 2tb data drives, yeah, data was supposed to be SATA . And they will definately be Western Digital! :)

426 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
vasilios says

Time Machine + 1TB WD external HD = love. :)

1603 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Beta Tester
+9 more
PatrikL Reviewer says
400GB!!! Ouch! That is bad man! Yeah, I partitioned off my drive when I first got it, I think I will run this awesome bit of sync software like…weekly. I downloaded it today! Works like an absolute charm ;) :)

Yeah, 400gb hurt like hell :P Alot of old client works were destroyed and ALOT of music went to hell.. (sorry for my bad language) I lost about 13000 songs in one day that took almost 5 years to collect.. Not so fun.. But I learned to backup disks :P

Now I use a portable HDD with 160gb space for my designs and works but I need to buy another, it´s starting to break down.. But I have a 500gb backup HDD on my desk so ;)

You learn as long as you live :)

2263 posts Bird is the word..
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
jonathan01 says

Hate to agree but I was the same when I used windows – since the move to mac many moons ago I run several internal and external – all my OS files on one small drive – apps on another internal – then all my work goes to an external then a backup external for the work drive.

Haven’t had an issue since – oh and I archive on DVD every year – then charge clients to edit any files over 1 year old – just nominal but it can take 1/2 hr to find files when you have stacks of DVD ’s :) and it doesn’t happen often.

But I agree that for some reason the mac is way more stable and not prone to as many of these issues. Another argument for paying a couple of hundred more for the ‘puter to start with – that along with resale value of macs is still a mystery to me on how they keep their prices (take a look at ebay – it’s amazing what those older macs still sell for) – oh and the no need for anti virus – and the reinstalling of the os and …. ok said enough – don’t wanna sound too much like a fanboy ;)

4335 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Community Moderator
  • Exclusive Author
+6 more
Time Machine + 1TB WD external HD = love. :)
Dude! I’m really not keen on that time machine idea, it poses like, loads of security problems when you need to get data rid of… completely. :) I’m fine with the idea of going back to previous system configurations, but documents are a big no-no for me. Doesn’t it take up like loads of disc space aswell, can you switch it off? :)

by
by
by
by
by
by