4335 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+10 more
Reaper-Media says

Dude! Sometimes they just really get on my nerves, my pc decided to corrupt half of my email storage folders (sorry ben, that included your one!) and a load of other files including the main index.php for my new website (I can download that back off my server though!

So, I backed up all the files I could, then chkdsk deleted all the corrupt files and sorted ou my drive. This, I think, is a real wake-up call for me to backup all my stuff a little more (anything is better than the current “never” :D ) I think I’ll order a couple of sandisk 64GB flag drives, until I can save up for two 2tb data drives and an enclosure configure to raid 1 :D

I know I’m gonna get loads of posts saying, “dude! Backup more!” and I probably deserve it :D

But anyway, aswell as just ranting on about my mistakes, and crappy NTFS HDs, I thought it would be a good topic starter for us guys to discuss our experiences with data storage and backup. I know what my dream data setup would be! What’s yours?

3868 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+9 more
flashjunkie says

dude! Backup more!

Ive got a 250gb WD External USD HDD and a 1tb WD External USB HDD .

:)

1620 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
PatrikL Envato team says

I know how it is mate :P I lost almost 400gb of data once.. (back when I used PC) :P Not fun at all though.. But after I switched to Mac 4 years ago I´ve never had any problems.. (yet anyways)

But yeah, you should have done more backups :P (I learned after my loss of 400gb :P )

4335 posts
+10 more
Reaper-Media says

400GB!!! Ouch! That is bad man! Yeah, I partitioned off my drive when I first got it, I think I will run this awesome bit of sync software like…weekly. I downloaded it today! Works like an absolute charm ;) :)

7791 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has referred 10+ members
+4 more
doru says

I never leave important data on my computer for more that necessary. I burn it on triple copy DVDs and rewrite them every two years. Then I do not have terabytes of data so maybe this solution will not work for you.

4335 posts
+10 more
Reaper-Media says

Damn, I was gonna edit my first post, but I noticed this too late :D : you know where it says two 2tb data drives, yeah, data was supposed to be SATA . And they will definately be Western Digital! :)

426 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
+3 more
vasilios says

Time Machine + 1TB WD external HD = love. :)

1620 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
PatrikL Envato team says
400GB!!! Ouch! That is bad man! Yeah, I partitioned off my drive when I first got it, I think I will run this awesome bit of sync software like…weekly. I downloaded it today! Works like an absolute charm ;) :)

Yeah, 400gb hurt like hell :P Alot of old client works were destroyed and ALOT of music went to hell.. (sorry for my bad language) I lost about 13000 songs in one day that took almost 5 years to collect.. Not so fun.. But I learned to backup disks :P

Now I use a portable HDD with 160gb space for my designs and works but I need to buy another, it´s starting to break down.. But I have a 500gb backup HDD on my desk so ;)

You learn as long as you live :)

2299 posts Bird is the word..
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
+8 more
jonathan01 says

Hate to agree but I was the same when I used windows – since the move to mac many moons ago I run several internal and external – all my OS files on one small drive – apps on another internal – then all my work goes to an external then a backup external for the work drive.

Haven’t had an issue since – oh and I archive on DVD every year – then charge clients to edit any files over 1 year old – just nominal but it can take 1/2 hr to find files when you have stacks of DVD ’s :) and it doesn’t happen often.

But I agree that for some reason the mac is way more stable and not prone to as many of these issues. Another argument for paying a couple of hundred more for the ‘puter to start with – that along with resale value of macs is still a mystery to me on how they keep their prices (take a look at ebay – it’s amazing what those older macs still sell for) – oh and the no need for anti virus – and the reinstalling of the os and …. ok said enough – don’t wanna sound too much like a fanboy ;)

4335 posts
+10 more
Reaper-Media says
Time Machine + 1TB WD external HD = love. :)
Dude! I’m really not keen on that time machine idea, it poses like, loads of security problems when you need to get data rid of… completely. :) I’m fine with the idea of going back to previous system configurations, but documents are a big no-no for me. Doesn’t it take up like loads of disc space aswell, can you switch it off? :)

by
by
by
by
by
by