3 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
ericwoo says

I thought I understood the different licenses, but after read through more pages, I am more confused that ever. I am kind of a moron when it comes to legal stuff.

If I want to create a website for my client, can I purchase the regular license?

I thought it would require the developer license, but then read “The Regular License could be used for any of the following: 2.Single website for a client (commercial, personal, or non-profit).” here: http://support.envato.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/395/70/themeforest-license-usage-examples

???

2263 posts Bird is the word..
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
jonathan01 says

Regular license = 1 install (wether it’s your server or your clients)

I don’t know why they simply don’t just put that to help everyone out :)

Jonathan

42 posts
  • Support Staff
  • Exclusive Author
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
nozza Staff says

I thought I understood the different licenses, but after read through more pages, I am more confused that ever. I am kind of a moron when it comes to legal stuff.

If I want to create a website for my client, can I purchase the regular license?

I thought it would require the developer license, but then read “The Regular License could be used for any of the following: 2.Single website for a client (commercial, personal, or non-profit).” here: http://support.envato.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/395/70/themeforest-license-usage-examples

???

Hi, jonathan01 is right in regards to the Regular Licence. The only time you would need an Extended Licence is if the product you were developing for a client was going to be re-sold by them. In your case, if you were developing a site for only your client, one Regular Licence would be sufficient for use in one project/url.

We should try and simplify the terms, but anything to do with legal stuff (in any situation) is difficult to get your head around. That’s why lawyers have jobs. :)

I hope this helps.

3 posts
ericwoo says

Thanks Jonathan & Nozza

That makes sense, but do the clients have to purchase the license directly?

Or can I purchase the license, build the site for them, and bill them for the completed project?

Eric

42 posts
  • Support Staff
  • Exclusive Author
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
nozza Staff says

Eric,

Who should purchase the licence will depend on a few things. If you will be the sole developer for the client and should the site need to be updated with the current version of the item then it would be better if you purchased it in your account as you will have access to the item download.

If the client was to purchase it under their account, they would be able to download the updates and pass the file onto another developer (not yourself) so they can update the site.

However, if this is going to be a one off project and once you billed your client for the completed product and you would have nothing to do with them afterwards, then purchasing the item would be better done in your account.

Hope that’s not too confusing.

3 posts
ericwoo says

Ok, cool. I was just looking at it from a legal standpoint.

Thanks

by
by
by
by
by
by