5 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
GSto says

I’m confused on what exactly the HTML template category is supposed to be HTML /CSS sites only, or can you use javascript/PHP? And these are supposed to be sites that stand on their own, or are they supposed to be used along with some other CMS ?

352 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+6 more
danharper says

They’re designs which do not contain code for a specific CMS .

CMS themes have their own category (or go in Misc).

1799 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
BroOf says

You can use javascript and php (for example on a contactpage) but the focus should be on the design.

2023 posts Review Manager
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
jremick Envato team says

yup, yup. What danharper and BroOf said! :)

You can also use PHP for other elements like server side includes, PHP navigation, PHP based photo galleries, etc. BUT be aware that many people aren’t familiar with PHP and that may deter them from buying your template. It’s a good idea to include two versions of the template. One without PHP (except for maybe the contact form) and one with the PHP (like ssi’s, nav, etc.).

It doesn’t take much extra work and it gives potential buyers more options. They love the options! :)

Oh, and use as much JavaScript as you want but try to make sure it degrades gracefully.

BTW , welcome to ThemeForest! :D

7 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
tugbucket says

To add on what xmdsys said, I am toying with the idea of coding out a design for just a HTML theme. I was planning on coding it in PHP and ASP so that the buyer has a choice depending on their host. I would take a pretty extensive read me file but the advantages that yohave when using a server side language far outweighs the work involved. Plus, looking at some of the themes here, even if the design isn’t all that appealing (to me), the more options you give to the buyer, it seems the more it can be sold for.

The layout has a few dynamic areas in my mind so I plan on coding those areas in PHP and ASP versons as well as a jQuery version.

by
by
by
by
by
by