3 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
driz says

I’m currently building a highly advanced WordPress Theme that will work as fully-featured Job Board. However I’m worried that a user could download it just the once and then use it say 1000 times for his/her own clients.

Is their anyway in which I could prevent this and setup a system whereby you can only use one licence (theme download) per every site or something to that effect.

1148 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
fillerspace says

I don’t think you can stop people from doing that any more than the record companies can stop people from downloading MP3 ’s or Adobe can stop people from pirating Photoshop. You just have to count on the fact that there are enough honest people out there willing to pay for your product.

Realistically, I don’t think you have to worry about one person using your theme 1000 times, because if he’s a web designer, his portfolio would look pretty boring! Besides, if he has a 1000 clients, he could just buy a different template for each one and pass the charges along to them.

3 posts
driz says

Well it’s a bit more than a Theme. It’s more of an App. So for example say a person has 10 clients that all want a Job Board. He/She could download my Theme just the once and then charge 10 clients each time for a Job Board. What I want is to say if you do that, then please buy the Theme 10 times because otherwise your making profit out of my work.

1148 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
fillerspace says
Well it’s a bit more than a Theme. It’s more of an App.

That makes it less likely that you’ll have a problem. A designer is more likely to have 10 clients wanting a business/portfolio site than a very specific template like yours.

3 posts
driz says

True. But a person may still use the Theme for more than one site with the intentions of selling it to others on per-site basis and they have only paid for one copy.

1 post
  • Located in United Kingdom
friskdesign says

@Driz: You’re clearly concerned about the amount of work you’re putting in being too easily used by other people.

If that’s the case, then I think this is the kind of custom solution you should be selling directly to clients at a much higher price than selling as a theme. You’ll have little to no control of your work once you release it on here; if you don’t want others profiting from the code you’ve created, then don’t sell it through these kinds of channels.

1431 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
kailoon Envato team says

This is internet, face it.

by
by
by
by