1 post
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
mdmd says

While browsing the web i saw a website that look a lot like workawesome at first i tough it was a new version, but that wasn’t the case. It was a bad ripoff, and the funny thing was that the site name looked a lot like the envato name, (avato) sorry but i really dont like rippoff and lack of creativity…..

sorry but i think this isn’t a good way to build a business ;)

I have a lot respect for envato, they build a super business!!! But why are there people that try to copy them…......

2323 posts
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+1 more
CreativeMilk says

Hmmm i have take a good look, and i must say that the name and design are copy’s, but you dont know which was first, maybe Envato is a the copy here :P

659 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
luckykind says

While Workawesome is a well designed site, I’m sure it wasn’t the first time a desktop site was done…

People always borrow from sources of inspiration, and those doing the inspiring get their stuff borrowed from often… It’s always better take only small pieces and improve upon it, in my opinion; however not everybody has those skill sets…

Obviously, the site owner took a lot of inspiration in building his business from Envato… but calling it a ripoff might be a little much… they link back to the marketplace, and to other Envato sites… if someone comes along and makes the same comparison you did, they may come away with the same thoughts you did… but that is more of a problem for that site owner and not the design community…

2323 posts
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+1 more
CreativeMilk says
While Workawesome is a well designed site, I’m sure it wasn’t the first time a desktop site was done…

no that correct i have seen a couple of desktop design, but nothing looked a lot like the workawesome one(exept the one above)

44 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • United States
byhandinc says

Yea… I’m going to have to second the BS flag on that one…

While a part-and-parcel rip off of the workawesome site, is in poor taste, coupling that with a name so closely related is borderline trademark infringement.

Notice on their site, everytime they talk about the envato network they call it the “activeden” network. Obviously they are going out of their way to avoid the connection between the two names. If they didn’t feel as though they were doing something wrong, why avoid the connection.

Additionally, as much as they link back to the site, i don’t see that as a positive, but rather a negative. I think they are just another way, [like using a familiar layout, and using a familiar name] to draw envato customers. I think they are hoping the average user will not acutally read the content, but just see the familiar site names and pics and assume it is connected.

As designers we all know that a certain amount of “inspiration” is not only acceptable, but inevitable, but you start crossing over into trademark infringement once you can be perceived as doing these things for the purpose of drawing envato customers, which i think there can be little doubt that this is their intention.

Either way, I think it is classic, landing site web trash. The fact that they say they are on themeForest, yet i can find neither “avato” nor “alex hughes” anywhere… I don’t know, I think each thing in itself… not a roblem, but the combination is dishonest.

The best part is that at the very least, why on earth would I hire you as a designer when you can’t even come up with an original deisng for your OWN site, or brand yourself properly, much less my business…

It’s just bad business…

44 posts
  • United States
byhandinc says
The fact that they say they are on themeForest, yet i can find neither “avato” nor “alex hughes” anywhere… I don’t know,

I take that back. I found him.

The “avato” website seems to serve as some large company network of many designers and developers… yet i get the sneaking suspicion this is a one man show…

This is the last I will post of him, as I don’t want to give the pretender anymore free advertising or publicity. I just hope this catches envato’s eye…

in fact im going to go launch a suppor ticket just to be sure… I hope you already did mdmd as you are the orginal poster and I wouldn’t want to take credit for your find…

http://themeforest.net/user/Alexhughes

93 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
Alexhughes says

This is very very disturbing to me. :/

I was always aware that my company name was awful close to envato and have thought about changing it many many times. It was not copied but actually named after a place in Greece I visited a few times while younger and has a certain personal meaning. It’s pronounced differently and we do not offer any services that clash with envato therefore decided it would not be a problem.

The desktop part was inspired by workawesome and many others. To create a desktop feel your always going to have a computer, pencils, phones e.t.c as thats just what desktops have on them right?

Also to say we’re trying to copy envato is obscene. We do not offer any of the same services and the closest thing we do is the blog on the studios website which was just a way to keep the site updated and provide some useful information to users.

I like many love the envato sites and have been a member of many for a long time. If the intention was to copy them why would I refer back to them regularly and submit the site to creattica.

Happy Holidays!

44 posts
  • United States
byhandinc says

I dont mean to personally attack anybody – that is certainly not my intention.

But you have to admit, that the name envato is never mentioned on your site, though on all envato sites it is referred to as the “envato network” not the “activeden network”.

That and the fact that if you are so comfortably assured that there is no violation, why not use it as your name for this site? Especially since your website claims that the “Alexhughs” account is for your designers and developers to make use of their down time, that to me would say that the account reflects the work of the company, and not you personally.

to use our “Dead Time” more constructively (Time while designers are waiting for developers… Vies-versa e.t.c).
http://www.avatostudios.co.uk/blogging/avato-news/we-entered-the-forest/

http://www.myspcace.com/ certainly does not offer any services similar to myspace, but I dont think anyone doubts that they are trying to capitalize on their name. Which, from a marketting aspect, is cheap and trashy.

If this is not what you are doing, I would seriously consider a rebrand. Like I said, any one of these things is innocent enough, but the combination is what creeps you closer and closer to infringement.

Envato has had to endure two rebrands now. I am sure you can handle one.

659 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
luckykind says

@alex

I wouldn’t worry too much about a couple of people “over-reacting”...

Envato doesn’t own every word that ends with “vato”... and as I said before, the desktop theme has been done by MANY others…

I think you’re in the clear… ;)

353 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
chack says

http://www.myspcace.com/ certainly does not offer any services similar to myspace, but I dont think anyone doubts that they are trying to capitalize on their name. Which, from a marketting aspect, is cheap and trashy.

Because it’s an domain parker? They hope that anybody will missspell myspace and click on any advertisment ;) Im sure you will find on youtueb.com a domain parker too.

And now chill down, Alexhughes sites is inspired by workawesome and not copied! If envato have got the copyright for every workdesk design on the internet, im sorry. But I never heard that. There are hundreds, maybe thousands of workdesk designs. Inspiring is fine- copying not!

by
by
by
by
by
by