• Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • United States
lbeck says

There is another user here who is copying my item descriptions exactly, only changing out the item name or file number, etc. I asked him politely to change them and he did after a few days. Well, now there is a new item that has done the same thing again and copied my item description. And on top of that there are numerous design similarities that are also copied, it’s different enough but is still very similar. But the fact that he is copying my text exactly is absolutely ridiculous, there is not even an attempt to change the text. That fact speaks volumes, and I’d imagine that habit carries over into his work as well.

So my question is what is the best way to handle this. Do I fill out a support ticket or is there a faster way to get it resolved?

1837 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
+3 more
ShermanJackson says

Yes! Contact Support, that is the solution and that would also be the answer you would get from this thread. Don’t waste time seeking an obvious answer. If it is as serious as that, you should contact support :) They’ll handle it.

All the best bro.

849 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
Rewroc says

Hey lbeck, I’m not sure if it works for descriptions but if you think that your work has been copied than you can always contact support. Good luck! :)

68 posts Designer | Developer
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
lbeck says

Thanks guys, I’m filling out a support ticket. I was curious if there is a faster way, support tickets have never worked out for me, one never got a response. I’ll keep at it for this though.

Text descriptions have to be the same, it’s my own thought out copy, it should hold the same laws as any other creative work. He literally copied word for word, freaking insane.

1837 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
ShermanJackson says

Also use Twitter and mention your ticket no. to them

333 posts Andre28 - Envato Elite Author
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Italy
  • Exclusive Author
andre28 says

unfortunately happened to me the same thing… also i got 1 layout entirely copied and it’s not cool at all… don’t know if support can help you about the description but i totally understand that you are pissed. unfortunately this happen when you have success, i decided to don’t care on it really much since support doesn’t seems to be really helpfull in these situations..

849 posts
  • Exclusive Author
Rewroc says

Thanks guys, I’m filling out a support ticket. I was curious if there is a faster way, support tickets have never worked out for me, one never got a response. I’ll keep at it for this though. Text descriptions have to be the same, it’s my own thought out copy, it should hold the same laws as any other creative work. He literally copied word for word, freaking insane.

I agree with both of you lbeck and Andre but I don’t know if there’s anything legal related to that since description would come into quite generic terms since it contains mostly just the technical stats and I doubt if it would be considered creative when it comes in legal terms. Unfortunately it will depend on the moral of the person you’re dealing with. :( Anyway you should not worry since both of you are original and provide quality work. I’m not expecting much about the description case but good luck anyways and keep doing the awesome work. :)

68 posts Designer | Developer
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
lbeck says

Thanks guys. Yes it is maddening, and to me it shouldnt be tolerated at all. I can’t imagine Envato disagreeing with me.

Copy holds the same standards as anythig else, it can’t be copied from someone else unless it’s all technical text, and mine is not. Technical text is one thing, sales copy is another.

It’s unethical and raises suspicions about the persons entire portfolio in my eyes. If they are so willing to blatantly copy text and not even attempt to change it, then why wouldnt they do the same for their creative work?

I’ve filled out a support ticket and am waiting for a reply. I will update this thread when I get a response. And I would be absolutely shocked if support does nothing, they need to be adamant about things like this. At least they should be. It’s just wrong and people who so easily do that shouldn’t be apart of this community.

849 posts
  • Exclusive Author
Rewroc says

Thanks guys. Yes it is maddening, and to me it shouldnt be tolerated at all. I can’t imagine Envato disagreeing with me.

Copy holds the same standards as anythig else, it can’t be copied from someone else unless it’s all technical text, and mine is not. Technical text is one thing, sales copy is another.

It’s unethical and raises suspicions about the persons entire portfolio in my eyes. If they are so willing to blatantly copy text and not even attempt to change it, then why wouldnt they do the same for their creative work?

I’ve filled out a support ticket and am waiting for a reply. I will update this thread when I get a response. And I would be absolutely shocked if support does nothing, they need to be adamant about things like this. At least they should be. It’s just wrong and people who so easily do that shouldn’t be apart of this community.

Oh wait, I thought that it was just the way you arrange the technical data that you were referring to. If they are copying the way you describe your item then I think it should be something to look upon. Sadly though support won’t do anything if it isn’t considered wrong in legal terms. It may not be right but that is how the world of law works; Perhaps this is the reason it is called law and not justice.

204 posts We're here to serve
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
isoarts says

Write a DMCA takedwon notice to envato, this is the best way. When it comes to this matter the envato support is just a waste of time.

http://support.envato.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/114

Good luck!

by
by
by
by
by
by