171 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+2 more
MsTrends says

Hey,

Hope you people are fine. I’m a WordPress author here. I’m going to team up with another author who have one Tumblr theme in his account. About 1.5 months ago, we had decided and agreed to submit its WordPress version from my account. WordPress version is now ready to be submitted by me.

Now, the issue is, the other author is concerned about his copyrights. He needs confirmation that, by uploading WordPress version of his Tumblr version, from my account, his copyrights are not affected.

Now the question is what security did envato provide in such case to both authors? I’ve opened a ticket for envato to explain in this regard but I request all the fellow authors too to discuss the issue in some detail. Because anybody can face such situation in future. :)

112 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Located in Europe
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
Vlajki says

Both of you should sign a contract with mutually agreed clauses that will ensure that both of you are protected from any violations in the future. In that way, if any of the parties breaches the contract, the other party will be able to take down the file by sending the contract to Envato Support. You can find some free legal documents which you can adapt to your needs over at Docracy.

171 posts
+2 more
MsTrends says

Both of you should sign a contract with mutually agreed clauses that will ensure that both of you are protected from any violations in the future. In that way, if any of the parties breaches the contract, the other party will be able to take down the file by sending the contract to Envato Support. You can find some free legal documents which you can adapt to your needs over at Docracy.

Thanks for the link mate. Just wanna make sure is it enforceable by envato? If so its awesome.

I’m not sure because i’ve read somewhere something like that envato does not indulge in partnership issues like that and we have to sort it out ourselves.

112 posts
  • Located in Europe
Vlajki says

Well, if you have a signed contract to prove copyright breach, a simple DMCA to Envato Support will surely take the file down.

171 posts
+2 more
MsTrends says

Well, if you have a signed contract to prove copyright breach, a simple DMCA to Envato Support will surely take the file down.

Well, that’s good.

But in case of contract only one party will have original copy of the contract i think, right? In this case how can the other party enforce it rights?

112 posts
  • Located in Europe
Vlajki says

As the contract is digital, both of you can access it (have a copy). You can read a bit more about digital documents here: https://www.docracy.com/application/about \\

171 posts
+2 more
MsTrends says

As the contract is digital, both of you can access it (have a copy). You can read a bit more about digital documents here: https://www.docracy.com/application/about \\

@Vlajki Thanks very much for the help mate.

Is anybody else using this or any similar service? Plz share your experience regarding such contracts enforceability here on envato.

184 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+1 more
ki-themes says

Just ask him to send that an email via contact form (tf.net/user/ki-themes#contact) that includes you have rights to upload/sell the item( as WordPress, HTML etc ) for exchange commission eg. 50%. As long as he has the PSD uploaded, he doesn’t need any legal documentation from you.

That should work for both of you.

171 posts
+2 more
MsTrends says

Well i’ve just received a reply from envato support, when asked about the owner’s rights and enforceability of digital contracts like: https://www.docracy.com/ . I’m pasting it here, just in case someone else might find it useful :)

Muhammad,

He owns the copyright to his work. If you have made an agreement, he just needs to tell us who he has made an agreement with (which is you) and which item you are using as a basis to create another item.

Once we have received that, we will notate both of your accounts. When you submit your item, you just need to leave a note for the reviewer saying that you have permission from the original author.

Regards,
171 posts
+2 more
MsTrends says

Demanded staff reply to officially confirm envato’s policy in this regard.

by
by
by
by
by
by