6 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
tjrchampion says

It’s a shame really that the theme forest assets library is not a little more in depth. I agree with Marcfolio that it just does not cut it for some projects. I’d not be surprised if this has been said a thousand times over.

I’m not to bothered about it honestly, but in some ways it does limit the designer to what templates he creates as the time sourcing images legally is just not productive, so sticking to boring Portfolio templates seems to be the only thing we can do.

Don’t people want more creative templates which deal with subjects other than portfolio and business?

2529 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+11 more
JeffreyWay says

Hey guys—I’m going to do a little more research in this area. Maybe we can find a way to use these images. I’ll get back to you after I speak with the bosswoman.

2276 posts Bird is the word..
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
jonathan01 says

I actually came to the conclusion that I will attempt to just create a set of movie posters and game boxes myself – something nice and generic for all and then if I do get around to produce them I will supply to the community as royalty free with no restrictions – then these markets are open to all.

Of course if Envato can get permissions then forget the above ;)

78 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
adiacone says

Please, pretty please, don’t tell me I spent half an hour removing the so called “copyrighted material” from my preview site and adding a generic image (and making the site uglier in the process) for nothing! Phew! :)

Here’s another idea: how about some of us that are into photography donate a few images to be added to the Asset Library? Nothing too fancy, but something less boring than the current ones. Some Landscape, Nature, Lifestyle, etc. I would be ok with it, if others share as well.

+8 more
jonathan01 says

or indeed envato offer a small amount of money for stock images to be produced exclusively for their asset libraries – photos / illustrations etc – not everything to be accepted obviously – this would be the quickest and easiest way of increasing asset libraries.

70 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
ryguy says

Blizzard has a fair-use clause with using images/video from World of Warcraft and other games since they support authors of Machinima movies.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/community/machinima/letter.html

You can make some cool screenshots in that game, even shots that only show a sunset or a green pasture.

I’m not sure if that would apply to Flash files on here since they clearly state you cannot sell your “videos” or anything you make inside the game. However, with our files, we don’t sell the images.

From the terms:

“What is a content use license?

In the event that you are required to prove to the contest organizer, festival committee, or television broadcaster that you have Blizzard Entertainment’s permission to use the images or video from World of Warcraft that appear in your Production, a content use license is provided. This license serves to prove you have the rights to use your Production materials specifically for that event.”

+8 more
jonathan01 says

Fair Use – is a term used for the review / promotion of a product and placing images with under fair use into a product being sold is against the meaning of the term “Fair Use”.

This does NOT mean however that as long as in the item description it is stated that the images used in the live preview are for illustrational purposes only and are not included with the downloadable product and that generic blank images are used as placeholders in the actual product – couldn’t be done.

I’ve been reading up on some court cases regarding fair use of copyright images – even if a company does not explicitly state that you can use for fair use, it is acceptable as long as images are not altered in any way or used to bash the product or service but rather to promote or spread the products popularity.

Again – it’s best to use something you have full rights to use though.

145 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
frayquantum says

In interest of making a mock-up / preview of a site, I think you can try to find Independent game that’s released under open license, there’s quite a few of them. also, Look into “press packs”(usually a .zip file from creator of the game that’s available for download/to be used in reviews etc.) of some games, usually there’s some images (not all) that may be used legally.

it’s also helpful to state on your description that the images belong to their respective owners, and are shown for illustrative purposes only. the images are not included in the actual file that is being sold.

one trick that may be used is to use defunct studios (duke nukem or something OLD …lol, and some 8-bit footage under creative commons).... I mean… it’s just a mockup….it helps to make it look nice, but don’t get sued doing it.

all in all :
  • use creative commons whenever possible
  • open source whenever possible
  • draw some stick figure or something….
7 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
ColorByt says

I’ve got a question.

If I make an artwork of let’s say Tomb Raider, featuring Lara killing dudes, whatever, can I use that image in preview purposes? Can I use a vexel pic I did a long ago of Maserati car?

I know I did not create that character nor that car, but if it’s ok for people to take photo of it and use that photo in commercial use, why i would this be any different, right?

by
by
by
by
by
by