• Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred more than 2000 users
+1 more
sevenstyles says
Graphic-Studio said
Some users have said they have like 12,000 hits a month and good payouts.

But, yes the payouts could be bigger.

With so many users, and probably potential users having cookies from previous visits – it’s difficult to get new registers.

I have about 400 unique visitors a month – but only 1 registered per month, with no deposits.

Over the past month I have spent lots of time putting envato out there and the return so far has not been worth it. The advertising process is time consuming and boring.. would be alot more enjoyable if the benefits were greater.

2954 posts
  • Australia
  • Community Moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+10 more
dtbaker Volunteer moderator says

I have had just over 200 referral cuts over the past few years – with an average earn value of $7.30

How much money would need a month to support your “business”. $50? $100? $500?

How many paid referrals would you need to make at the current 30% rate to reach this value?
$50 = 7 referrals, $100 = 14 referrals, $500 = 69 referrals.

So there’s some rough values for you to work with. Hope that helps!

I wouldn’t mind earning an extra $50 a month for only 7 paid referrals – that’s pretty good earnings in the referral world – if you have a good site with good unique content (not just a duplicate of an envato site) then you will be laughing.

993 posts
  • Author had a File in a Mini Bundle
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
mudi says

It’s definitely a good business but also tough one because it’s alot to learn specially SEO . There are good affiliate programs such as ClickBank which give upto 75% of commission per sale. Many good affiliates make millions of dollars per month. One day I will also be super affiliate. And just high traffic doesn’t matter. Targeted traffic matters which are willing to buy your products.

3716 posts Community Moderator
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Community Moderator
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • United Kingdom
+4 more
quickandeasy Volunteer moderator says

I’ve used many affiliate schemes, but I haven’t used as intensely as I have the Envato one so I guess I can’t accurately compare it to any.

Most affiliate schemes that are worth undertaking are between 30% & 50%, however the majority of those are for more expensive products, with Envato, what’s the average ‘first’ purchase?

For someone promoting their own/other people’s Graphicriver items, it’s only going to be small (unless it’s a logo), for other marketplaces, maybe more.

The problem is that if Envato give us 50% of the initial deposit and the author who is selling the file gets 51%-75% – Envato are straight up losing money. But even if the author and the affiliate are both getting 50%, there is still a fee from Paypal or otherwise (banks etc) for depositing the money to take into account, then also the file storage and bandwidth costs.

What would be really nice is if your affiliate percentage went up with the amount of people you’ve referred.

613 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Finland
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
+1 more
uniquefx says

I would love to see the referral system changed to a recurring one.Get 10% from each deposit and purchase the member makes for a whole year?

131 posts
  • Australia
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
sevenstyles says

^^ Really great ideas guys. Love the idea quickandeasy of your affiliate % going up with the amount of people you refer, this can increase as your badges upgrade, even if its just 5% increase its alot more enticing.

136 posts
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
ThemeShaper says

There are reasons why referral commission can’t go above 30% (while author commission is 70%) – pretty obvious why when you look at the numbers. – It also means author commission will never be able to rise above 70%.

The extra business that changing the affiliate system would bring would imo have a massive impact. A lower referral rate per sale, would be very much worth promoting. (currently I only link to my own items, and although I generate a lot of my own sales, the referral income is almost nothing).

Changing per sale on 10-20% commission would be amazing for everyone imo.

3422 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Community Moderator
+4 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says

Just need to point out that the referral commission can’t increase any more than 30% without reducing the author percentage (70%). Otherwise, Envato ends up paying others to buy the products (and this creates opportunities to game the system). For referrals on products from elite authors, Envato already takes nothing (but pays all the overhead).

Lowering the rate and making it recurring would be a better idea; but still, the purpose of the affiliate program is to attract new users to the marketplace, so business-wise I’m not sure that makes complete sense. Though actually I expect this would benefit Envato in the end – I get the sense the majority of buyers are not recurring customers (it’d be interesting to see the statistics).

But there’s definitely good money to be made from the affiliate system here if you know what you’re doing. I personally make a few hundred extra a month on referrals with zero extra effort – there are plenty of others around that are making much more.

The trick, as others have pointed out, is adding value beyond what’s offered via the API . Don’t make another marketplace linking to Envato, there’s no point in that. Try reviewing products, or offering some other service that complements this business model. Good luck! :)

8186 posts Community Moderator
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Community Moderator
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • United Kingdom
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Won a Competition
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
+4 more
MSFX Volunteer moderator says
sevenstyles said
Envato need to increase the 30% referral cut to at least 50% or the sames as the authors commission rate. I think 30% is not a good enough incentive to spend time and money advertising. Lets bump it to 50% or greater, then we will alot more users come to the site. This really needs to change

it’ll never be more than the maximum author takings per sale, which is 70% otherwise Envato stand to lose money for those who come and only buy one file which is actually quite a large statistic…

edit: ah, just read the previous post so yeah, what he said :P

79 posts
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
Mode54 says

Check out this thread to see some of the success some people have with envato referrals

http://codecanyon.net/forums/thread/what-is-your-referrals-of-your-total-sales/53003

I still think this is great as extra income but not something you should use as the main revenue stream for your business.

by
by
by
by
by
by