• Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Exclusive Author
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
+4 more
RightHere says
sevenstyles said
Envato need to increase the 30% referral cut to at least 50% or the sames as the authors commission rate. I think 30% is not a good enough incentive to spend time and money advertising. Lets bump it to 50% or greater, then we will alot more users come to the site. This really needs to change

30% is very normal with Affiliate Programs. And it doesn’t need to be higher. Envato needs to make money to in order to keep the business competitive.

However we need a “cookie” that doesn’t expire before 30, 60 or maybe even 90 days. So that if the user doesn’t deposit first they visit you will still get paid when they revisit within 30, 60 or 90 days.

Or it could be 2-pier program, which would make it much more powerful. Where the percentage is split between 2 levels. This way you wil get paid on your referrals – referrals.

Of course a smaller % recurring would be great, but Elite Authors already make 70% and if you would take another e.g 3-5% for recurring commissions it would cut in Envato’s profit.

131 posts
  • Australia
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred more than 2000 users
+1 more
sevenstyles says
RightHere said
sevenstyles said
Envato need to increase the 30% referral cut to at least 50% or the sames as the authors commission rate. I think 30% is not a good enough incentive to spend time and money advertising. Lets bump it to 50% or greater, then we will alot more users come to the site. This really needs to change

30% is very normal with Affiliate Programs. And it doesn’t need to be higher. Envato needs to make money to in order to keep the business competitive.

However we need a “cookie” that doesn’t expire before 30, 60 or maybe even 90 days. So that if the user doesn’t deposit first they visit you will still get paid when they revisit within 30, 60 or 90 days.

Or it could be 2-pier program, which would make it much more powerful. Where the percentage is split between 2 levels. This way you wil get paid on your referrals – referrals.

Of course a smaller % recurring would be great, but Elite Authors already make 70% and if you would take another e.g 3-5% for recurring commissions it would cut in Envato’s profit.

True, but ill stick to saying that 30% is not enticing enough to spend hours promoting. Im at 13,000 clickthroughs this month and 150 have joined, and not much earnings considering the hours and money I put in. Why would I want to spend more time doing this?

3122 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
chrisakelley says
sevenstyles said
Why would I want to spend more time doing this?

to promote your own items….. who cares about the marketplace as a whole honestly promote your own stuff and if you get returns from referrals than its a plus….

3699 posts Community Moderator
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Community Moderator
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • United Kingdom
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Contributed a Blog Post
+4 more
quickandeasy Volunteer moderator says

Personally I think if you find quality traffic, rather than simply quantity of traffic, your time is spent fairly effectively, you can actually reap good rewards.

948 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
Giallo says
sevenstyles said
^^ Really great ideas guys. Love the idea quickandeasy of your affiliate % going up with the amount of people you refer, this can increase as your badges upgrade, even if its just 5% increase its alot more enticing.

Indeed awesome idea, fits perfectly here

8 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Latvia
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
tomsta_net says

Raising dead topic, but i have a question about putting refs from your deviantart page. Haven`t got any clickthroughs from there, there are traffic from other sites tho. Doing something wrong or what?

3188 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Won a Competition
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
+2 more
ToivoMedia says

Raising dead topic, but i have a question about putting refs from your deviantart page. Haven`t got any clickthroughs from there, there are traffic from other sites tho. Doing something wrong or what?

I don’t know what could be wrong, but there’s no problem with click throughs from deviant art, I get plenty.

8122 posts Community Moderator
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Community Moderator
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • United Kingdom
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Won a Competition
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
+4 more
MSFX Volunteer moderator says

I don’t know what could be wrong, but there’s no problem with click throughs from deviant art, I get plenty.

then you obviously get more traffic than he does…

412 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
mitdralla says

Just need to point out that the referral commission can’t increase any more than 30% without reducing the author percentage (70%). Otherwise, Envato ends up paying others to buy the products (and this creates opportunities to game the system). For referrals on products from elite authors, Envato already takes nothing (but pays all the overhead).

Lowering the rate and making it recurring would be a better idea; but still, the purpose of the affiliate program is to attract new users to the marketplace, so business-wise I’m not sure that makes complete sense. Though actually I expect this would benefit Envato in the end – I get the sense the majority of buyers are not recurring customers (it’d be interesting to see the statistics).

But there’s definitely good money to be made from the affiliate system here if you know what you’re doing. I personally make a few hundred extra a month on referrals with zero extra effort – there are plenty of others around that are making much more.

The trick, as others have pointed out, is adding value beyond what’s offered via the API . Don’t make another marketplace linking to Envato, there’s no point in that. Try reviewing products, or offering some other service that complements this business model. Good luck! :)

Great points here. +1

by
by
by
by
by
by