738 posts
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Located in United States
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
Jar says

To be frank, I don’t see the worth in PSDs anymore as a marketplace item – Especially so when it is accompanying a finished HTML or WP theme. (Because most graphical elements are replaced by code now anyway) Pretty much all themes tout PSDs as features included, but what worth is really there anymore?

As buyers & sellers, what do you think?

3858 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
  • Nominated Community Superstar of the month
+1 more
charlie4282 says

Very true but there are quite a few authors who simply do not know how to code well enough if at all and it is a route for them to make it on to the marketplace (irrelevant of how many sales they tend to get), and opens doors to prospective partnerships.

Plus I think you will find that in quite a few cases the “included PSDs” for site templates and WP themes are not anywhere close to as detailed or complex as the ones from the PSD category.

I totally get where you are coming from but I do believe it as a category serves a purpose

280 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+1 more
PrimaThemes says

From buyer perspective, PSD items have limited audience, it not for end user, it is mostly for designer that need PSD.

From seller perspective, yes, it is not really good on sales, but it is still an extra for income for some authors. But hey, it is still good for your portfolio. For new author, PSDs can be a good thing to get attention from other authors, and open the possibility to find good developer partner. For old author, PSD can be an option, other option: include PSD in your theme as a bonus to boost the sales.

738 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Located in United States
Jar says

Very true but there are quite a few authors who simply do not know how to code well enough if at all and it is a route for them to make it on to the marketplace (irrelevant of how many sales they tend to get), and opens doors to prospective partnerships.

Plus I think you will find that in quite a few cases the “included PSDs” for site templates and WP themes are not anywhere close to as detailed or complex as the ones from the PSD category.

I totally get where you are coming from but I do believe it as a category serves a purpose

Good point. They definitely serve a function for budding designers that their designs are ‘up to snuff’ according to Envato’s standards.

by
by
by
by
by
by