Just saying. It’s totally happening.

4377 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+6 more
Dzinc says

Hi GravityDept, due to the very recent Downloads page improvements, there are still some screenshots being provided from the previous design, which can, and has indeed, been causing a bit of confusion.

Once everyone is up-to-date, and support forums make the appropriate changes as well, we’ll most likely see the current number of “Could not find license” threads decrease to a minimum.

563 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+4 more
kriskorn says

I would not bet on that Dzinc. All the authors were “up-to-date” with “Missing style.css” too, but it was still a huge problem. Just add the license as a separate download or echo the purchase code under the downloadable item title. Or better yet confirm the purchase with an email and include the purchase code there.

What I am trying to say is make it more visible to a normal everyday computer user. Right now you have to find your purchase code buried under a download button drop-down menu.

All the best,
Kris

649 posts Magento Elite & Gravity Maker
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+3 more
GravityDept says

How about replacing that spammy “Get Hosting” button with a “Get License” button?

3468 posts
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+10 more
sevenspark Moderator says

I think right now this is a temporary issue where you have users who have purchased and downloaded before the change and are now trying to find the license. It’s confusing because previously they clicked the download button and it immediately downloaded the file, rather than offering a dropdown (I do think that UI could be done better). So it wouldn’t make sense to even click that button again.

However, moving forward, any user purchasing a file will already have clicked the download button, and used the dropdown to download their file. So they’ll know to look in that space for other resources, like the license.

In the interim period, there will be a bit of confusion that we’ll have to walk users through. But moving toward a cleaner interface (all downloadable resources related to an item grouped together in a dropdown) is a move in the right direction, I think.

And like Dzinc said, part of the issue is screenshots of the old layout; those screenshots need to be updated.

2299 posts Bird is the word..
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
jonathan01 says

Before the change:

Next to the download was the license link

After change:

Link cannot be seen.

= bad UI.

Before change:

Button says download – when clicked = download

After change:

Button says download – when clicked says

Main File(s)

License Certificate

= Bad UI because it states “Download” on the button, but it’s actually not to download, it’s to show options. Main File(s) doesn’t mention anything about downloading… it’s really not well thought out.

On another note, if this is a WordPress file it can also state:

Download – once clicked:

Main File(s)

Installable WordPress File

License Certificate

This has potential for the not well experienced to NOT click on Main File(s) because the option reads as the only thing installable is the 2nd link… which means they then don’t have all the help files etc. Again, bad wording.

Jonathan

4377 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+6 more
Dzinc says

Hi Kris, I believe we are talking about two completely different topics. From my perspective on assisting buyers in the forums, Missing style.css was/is one thing, and the License Certificate is another.

Most buyers use the item purchase code strictly for additional support / verification purposes, where they are often instructed on where to download the License Certificate from, in order to locate the purchase code inside. This is achieved by following simple instructions on where/how to find/download the document file.

In the past, we’ve had very few users on the forums who were not able to locate the License Certificate, and that low number is mostly due to the clear and efficient instructions provided by fellow authors.

The principle of downloading the License Certificate has not changed, except for its location. Once all instructions/screenshots reflect the current design, finding and downloading the License Certificate will continue to be just as easy as it was before.

Again, this is only an observation based on my participation and interaction with troubled users in the forums. If the License Certificate can/should be placed somewhere else, it calls for a different discussion. In regards to the original post from GravityDept, comparing one issue to the other, I believe to be unrelated, and under different circumstances/context, as mentioned earlier.

If this thread is heading towards UI matters in general, which is perfectly fine, and we’re happy to hear any/all constructive feedback/suggestions, maybe it should be directed to the appropriate thread, where the recent new features were originally announced, just so we don’t mix things up.

In the meantime, thanks everyone for contributing such useful feedback, it’s certainly much appreciated.

563 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+4 more
kriskorn says

Hello again Dzinc,

I didn’t want to sound hostile, but my point was to make things more simple.

I think Jonathan said it all very well. Even the ones who need extra help don’t know they have to download the License Certificate to find a Purchase Code. The titles under the download button could be made more clear and everything should just work out.

All the best,
Kris

no-thumbnail
koen_vandensande Recent Posts Threads Started
1 post
  • Located in Belgium
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
koen_vandensande says

I can’t find out how to download the license… Download button immediately downloads the theme, also when I hover on the button nothing happens.

NEED HELP FAST !!!

by
by
by
by
by
by