3718 posts Community Moderator
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
  • Located in Netherlands
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+9 more
Joost Moderator says

Hey everyone,

I originally posted this topic in the off-topic section of CodeCanyon, but on a second thought I couldn’t come up with a good reason to support my decision to ask just CodeCanyon instead of asking a much wider audiance of professionals.

I apologize for the fact that there are two topics about it now – if a mod would like to, he could delete this topic right here as its goal will now (hopefully) be accomplished by this very thread.

Long version:

As a graduation project for Computer Science class at secondary school, a friend and me have set up a Text Based MMORPG , coded in PHP .

We’ve launched it as a semi-private beta last monday, and got classmates and friends to play to see if the formula’s make sense and make the game fun to play. It also helped hammer out some bugs, and we’ve got a whole list of suggestions for future updates.

One of the people beta-testing actually said his semi-professional webdevelopment group was interested in buying the game of us! The only problem is, we don’t know what price we’d be willing to ask, and he’s not giving in on making an offer either ;)

Therefor, we’d like to ask you guys to value our project, which can be found right here, at this very link

If you don’t want to go through the whole hassle of creating an account, just use mine – username: Joost, password: envato (You can create your own if you want to, though ;) )

We’re also open to any comments and critique (and I’ll let you guys know my grade when my teacher hands me back his feedback ;) )

Short version:

Can you value my project? It can be found right here

Post Scriptum: Mods, if this is seen as self-promotion, I apologize – I’m genuinely attempting to get a project valued rather than promoting it. If you guys believe otherwise, don’t hesitate to delete my thread ;)

2201 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
ArikB says

Joost…there’s no link.

• Located in Netherlands
+9 more
Joost Moderator says
Joost…there’s no link.

Oops! I copied the text from the other thread, and forgot to re-add the link :facepalm:

Thanks, Arik! Added it now :)

861 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+5 more
MoeHaydar says

Similar to Travian Games. i used to play travian 2 years ago. I played a whole server. these type of games are addictive.

Unfortunately I can help you value it. However your game has some nice features. Unfortunately u must work on graphics.. So if your not willing to go to the next level sell but not for low.

510 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+4 more
pxt says

I have to agree with SimplyDo. In my opinion the value of the game will increase quite a bit if the graphics were improved. Perhaps if you have a friend who is interested in graphics he could help. But that’s only my opinion. Let’s see what others have to say.

• Located in Netherlands
+9 more
Joost Moderator says

Thanks guys! Yeah, graphics have never been my strongest point (and illustrations generally take quite a lot of time when coming from my hand so I didn’t include as many as I would’ve liked to).

@SimplyDo the game was indeed inspired on the genre of Trivian and Tribal Wars and such, as I’ve been hooked to those games for a while myself ;)

I planned on adding features in the future, and adding the abovementioned illustrations.. but I guess the graphics might need more drastic changes.

Either way, I’d like to have a general idea of the value of these kind of things – I have virtually no idea whatsoever, I have no clue what people would pay for this.

584 posts
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
SparkyFlash says

Although I don’t have any clue what you could charge for this kind of game, I just wanted to wow on how talented you and your friend must be to create something like this! I always admire smart minds :) Its a way to go! Good luck with the game, Joost and any other games I’m sure you’ll create in future.

296 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
theninja says
Either way, I’d like to have a general idea of the value of these kind of things – I have virtually no idea whatsoever, I have no clue what people would pay for this.

Ahhh… I hate having to value my own projects, it’s the hardest thing to do because you don’t really know how much someone out there is willing to pay for it. To be honest I wouldn’t have a clue on the value of it, so any figure I throw at you would be a random guess :D
The only advice I could give you is to judge the value by the number of hours/amount of effort you’ve put into it and the revenue/traffic possibilities.
If all else fails just go in with an outrageously high price saying you’re open to negotiation… haha, that might do the trick if you don’t scare them away.

I agree with the others, some updated graphics could make it just that bit more appealing to potential buyers, they could do with some added “fanciness”... not to say people don’t like the look you went for :) Great project btw! I love it.

63 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
IWDstudios says

I would be careful on selling the game. I would think about asking other college guys who might be into graphics or web design to redesign the page.

I have seen a few millionaires who made their money from projects started in school. Maybe you should think about not selling but allow them to invest instead. Get them working on graphics and stuff.

2309 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
theflyingtinman says

I’m no gamer (or more accurately no longer a gamer) so this maybe a naive question, but why would this be called a MMORPG ? I thought that in MMORPGs the player takes on the Role of a character within the game, like WoW or D&D. This looks more like a RTS (Real Time Strategy) game, like the original Warcraft series.

by
by
by
by
by
by