3197 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+10 more
ThomGeskin says

This is actually a ridiculous comparison; one is badge, sometimes awarded (though not automatically) for something that not everyone even gets the opportunity to do (not everyone discovers copyright violations), the badge you suggest would be awarded (or not) for making a choice. There is no stigma attached to not getting an award but there can definitely be a stigma associated with making a choice perceived by some as mean or uncaring.

It might seem ridiculous, but it was needed so we could better discuss the matter having a starting point, understand?

In regards to opportunity, one finds what one looks for. Once again, each to his own, within each person’s wants and capabilities.

In regards to being perceived as mean or uncaring, this is relative, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There are many more noticeable characteristics in one’s behavior to define mean and uncaring than a simple badge.

Also if it’s for a charity cause then why not do it secretly? Is there any need to show that one has donated his/her item for charity?

Why do people assume charity has anything to do with secrecy? And why does one to do good charity it has to be a secret? This is a mainstream marketplace, and the best way to get more people to care and notice the cause is by doing the exact opposite of secrecy. The more people who know about it, the more chance we have of making a bigger change.

Edit: Pure intentions? The whole point of charity is to raise money for those who need it. People can think what they want about intentions, good or bad, as long as money is raised for those who need it, It doesn’t really matter what people think my intentions are. Don’t you think so?

3085 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+6 more
Raincutter says

I guess I was unclear. By secrecy I mean that one needs not to know who donated for charity. A charity must be done without having a feeling of personal interest. It’s a cause for public welfare.

Even if this idea is implemented there will arise some questions. Will authors give support to people who bought items from Charity account? Also it would be quite difficult to track the buyers.

3197 posts
+10 more
ThomGeskin says

I guess I was unclear. By secrecy I mean that one needs not to know who donated for charity. A charity must be done without having a feeling of personal interest. It’s a cause for public welfare. Even if this idea is implemented there will arise some questions. Will authors give support to people who bought items from Charity account? Also it would be quite difficult to track the buyers.

Marketplace rules can continue being applied. As far as I know, authors are not obligated to provide support. But great point, this is really something that has to be thought about.

Just to comment once more on the badge. The badge is not to show off and say “Look at me, I’m better than you because I donated to charity”, it is simply to say “Hey, I donated a file to charity, and you can do the same thing if you want!”

Edit: And guys, don’t get me wrong, the badge is just an idea to motivate more people to donate, nothing more. If we can do this, without the badge, hey, the important thing is to get this thing working!

2309 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
theflyingtinman says

...Just to comment once more on the badge. The badge is not to show off and say “Look at me, I’m better than you because I donated to charity”, it is simply to say “Hey, I donated a file to charity, and you can do the same thing!”

I’m all for (some) charities and fund raising efforts, but I despise fund raisers who try to shame people into giving, even though money given to avoid the stigma of being labeled a “non-giver” does just as much good as money given out of generosity.

And it makes no difference what your interpretation of the badge is, everyone who sees an author’s “charity” badge (or lack thereof) would infer their own reasons for the author’s motivation. .. And everyone who donates and gets a badge would be doing so for their own reasons ( some just because they like badges no matter what they are for … I’m sure if Envato sold badges some people here would buy them :) )

3085 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+6 more
Raincutter says

I guess I was unclear. By secrecy I mean that one needs not to know who donated for charity. A charity must be done without having a feeling of personal interest. It’s a cause for public welfare. Even if this idea is implemented there will arise some questions. Will authors give support to people who bought items from Charity account? Also it would be quite difficult to track the buyers.

Marketplace rules can continue being applied. As far as I know, authors are not obligated to provide support. But great point, this is really something that has to be thought about.

Just to comment once more on the badge. The badge is not to show off and say “Look at me, I’m better than you because I donated to charity”, it is simply to say “Hey, I donated a file to charity, and you can do the same thing!”

Edit: And guys, don’t get me wrong, the badge is just an idea to motivate more people to donate, nothing more. If we can do this, without the badge, hey, the important thing is to get this thing working!
Do remain sure about how many people would like to do this without a badge and credit, for this will surely bring modifications in the whole code and if it all goes in vain there will certainly arise some dissatisfaction.

Though, once again as I said earlier, this discussion has been talked about and the solution came nothing.

3197 posts
+10 more
ThomGeskin says

I’m all for (some) charities and fund raising efforts, but I despise fund raisers who try to shame people into giving, even though money given to avoid the stigma of being labeled a “non-giver” does just as much good as money given out of generosity. And it makes no difference what your interpretation of the badge is, everyone who sees an author’s “charity” badge (or lack thereof) will infer their own reasons for the author’s motivation. .. And everyone who donates and gets a badge would be doing so for their own reasons ( some just because they like badges no matter what they are for … I’m sure if Envato sold badges some people here would buy them :) )

This is what I love about discussions, it gets the brain working! Rock n roll brother! I honestly didn’t expect this much discomfort from such a simple thing as a badge, but you are right, not everyone sees the same picture, and if no badges is what it takes for your and Raincutter’s support, let’s kill the badges.

So, no badges.

Moving on, what other feedback can you guys provide regarding the idea. Is it something you’re interested in?

Do remain sure about how many people would like to do this without a badge and credit, for this will surely bring modifications in the whole code and if it all goes in vain there will certainly arise some dissatisfaction.

The only thing I see being in vain is if no one does anything about the situation, leaving it only up to ideas and never going through with it. If it is implemented, be it raising $1 or $1M, it will not have been in vain.

7311 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

First, you need no badge for donating. Second, there are to much scams around this donating industry. Third, even if the people receiving the money are legitimate, most of the money will not arrive to who needs them, but it will be throw on logistical support, intended or no. True example from my experience. One person I know got this money for a charity project in Africa. Let’s say it was 100.000 euro. The money was invested like this: his salary 3500 a month, one off road vehicle 70.000 euro (yes they get a good off road vehicle). Off road vehicle driver hired on location (don’t know his salary). Other various costs. 10.000 to build the actual thing.

So best is to find a local charity in your town, get to know them well and when donating have an idea what will actually do with the money.

Fun fact: A well known agency, like at international level, real known (I will not give the name as this is not the place), use a third party agency to find people who can donate money and collect those funds. For each contract they conclude, there’s an one time 60% of the monthly contract that go to the person who conclude the contract, then there’s the money the collecting agency get every month. And we are not even at the point were the known agency will start to use the money as in the first example.

308 posts
  • Located in Netherlands
Pandebus says

First, you need no badge for donating. Second, there are to much scams around this donating industry. Third, even if the people receiving the money are legitimate, most of the money will not arrive to who needs them, but it will be throw on logistical support, intended or no. True example from my experience. One person I know got this money for a charity project in Africa. Let’s say it was 100.000 euro. The money was invested like this: his salary 3500 a month, one off road vehicle 70.000 euro (yes they get a good off road vehicle). Off road vehicle driver hired on location (don’t know his salary). Other various costs. 10.000 to build the actual thing.

I totally agree with you, however, the only real solution to this problem would be if you actually go (for example) to Africa yourself, actually buy the water and food yourself, actually inject the medicine yourself, etc. etc. and nobody is willing, or has the possibility to do this. So I find that even if only 10 cents of the 20 euros you donate arrive at the location, it’s still something. and imagine, if for instance everybody that lives in Holland would donate 20 euros, which is not a great amount. there would be 1.7 million euros at the place you want it.

482 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+8 more
IncredibleWand says

Hello to everybody :)

I have been reading this thread and i want to congratulate Dzinc for the initiative, but i don’t think he can do this by himself so we have to help.

I can see that Raincutter and theflyingtinman already made some good points. I also think that the badge isn’t a good idea. But i’m not going to say more about that cause the two authors already said enough.

Now here is my idea. We all know that authors won’t upload files for charity forever, so here is another way to get files (we will need Envato’s support on this one).
We can create some small competitions, with some moderate prises, in which authors have to design something and the first three winning files go in that account. This way the authors that provided the files also receive something.
And this solves the badge problem :D (the first file gets a “Won a Competition” badge).

This is just an idea (good or bad, i don’t know). Waiting for your feedback. Thanks.

Once again great idea Dzinc.

1660 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+9 more
flashedge says

I already devolve each month 10% of my earnings to charity. It’s a very nice initiative you’re having here, though I might also know where the money goes. I’m a regular donator of the smiletrain et similia – I’m doing it for myself, for a better karma. :)

I think we might involve envato directly for this. Maybe a file bundle for christmas and give all the earnings to charity.

by
by
by
by
by
by