482 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+8 more
IncredibleWand says

So, it seems like the next problem is how to make sure the charity money gets where it’s supposed to.

We can use some help from someone who already did this. How did Envato manage the Movember charity?

90 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
RobertHoisan says

Hy everyone,

The idea is great, helping others on a practical level rather than a theoretical one is great. But i must say, i do not think this will implement here, on the marketplaces for various reasons. But instead of working directly with Envato websites and modifying codes and adding badges , and so on, i think that it can be created a separate web page, site, etc (possible hosted by Envato) witch will belong to a group of Envato users ( hopefully a bigger one with time passing) willing to donate a few bucks on a weekly or monthly basis, a place where there will be a opening entries for Envato users that can register, discuss, share opinions about the best possible way that can give away to others. It can even be a vote for the next charity destination. This can be a place where we can announce (if wanted) the funds collected or/and the activities carried out. It is not easy but with with today technology i think it can be easily gathered funds in a trust (hold by Envato for example for insurance) and also people can be helped using on line tech. I work with charity NGO ’s all over Europe so i know the hardship of this job but also the rewards of a happy smile.

Remember that for those in need, it does not matter HOW you gather money or HOW you help them. It matters the actual help they get from you.

As regard to the scams , and bad people with mean intentions i have learned that the “surest” method of charity is food. Just buy food and give it to people especially children that only dreams at a hot meal. And those people are not only in Africa, you can look around the corner and see them yourself.

Waiting to see the outcome of this wonderful initiative,

sh

335 posts
  • Had an item featured in a magazine
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has referred 500+ members
+4 more
Folksnet says

I’m more than happy to create something or donate existing items. But it has to be wright charity.

412 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
patrickjansen says
If for instance everybody that lives in Holland would donate 20 euros, which is not a great amount. there would be 1.7 million euros at the place you want it.

On average, calculated from “hulp” spent from goverment money, each dutch person already spends almost 500 euro per year on it. And since it’s belasting money, dutch people are already involuntarily (or actually … read “without realizing”) putting in their share of the load ;)

3197 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Provided great feedback to improve the user experience on Envato Market
+11 more
ThomGeskin says

First, you need no badge for donating. Second, there are to much scams around this donating industry. Third, even if the people receiving the money are legitimate, most of the money will not arrive to who needs them, but it will be throw on logistical support, intended or no.

In regards to badges, I agree, one does not need badges to donate, although it has to be said that badges can motivate many to do so. Yes, many scams in the charity industry, but the idea is to get Envato involved in providing a trustworthy list of charities, and by doing that, we can be sure the money in fact goes where it needs to.

but i don’t think he can do this by himself so we have to help.

What I can do by myself is create an extra account and all files I upload there will go to charity. If nobody helps, I don’t mind, I’ll do it anyway, but I just figured that in a network with so many authors, I have to believe that more people are willing to do the same thing.

Now here is my idea. We all know that authors won’t upload files for charity forever, so here is another way to get files (we will need Envato’s support on this one).
We can create some small competitions, with some moderate prises, in which authors have to design something and the first three winning files go in that account. This way the authors that provided the files also receive something.
And this solves the badge problem :D (the first file gets a “Won a Competition” badge).

Indeed this is a great way to motivate more people to participate.

I think we might involve envato directly for this. Maybe a file bundle for christmas and give all the earnings to charity.

I like this idea, they can even call it: Charity Bundle.

So, it seems like the next problem is how to make sure the charity money gets where it’s supposed to. We can use some help from someone who already did this. How did Envato manage the Movember charity?

Great point. I think that by getting Envato involved, through their list of charities, we will have no problem regarding fraud.

Hy everyone, The idea is great, helping others on a practical level rather than a theoretical one is great. But i must say, i do not think this will implement here, on the marketplaces for various reasons. But instead of working directly with Envato websites and modifying codes and adding badges , and so on, i think that it can be created a separate web page, site, etc (possible hosted by Envato) witch will belong to a group of Envato users ( hopefully a bigger one with time passing) willing to donate a few bucks on a weekly or monthly basis, a place where there will be a opening entries for Envato users that can register, discuss, share opinions about the best possible way that can give away to others

Hi sh, thank you for the kind words. I think your idea is fantastic and would sure like to talk more about it after we see where this thread goes. The idea I posted here was to be the simplest and most practical one possible, where artists can donate, not money, but art, by simply clicking an upload button. Doing what they normally do when sending an item, but intended for charity.

I’m more than happy to create something or donate existing items. But it has to be wright charity.

Nice to hear that Folksnet, I too am willing to do the same. Let’s wait and see what happens.

Note:

I don’t think creatives should donate money, but donate art instead. That is what we do, we create.

3751 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Located in Spain
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+9 more
pezflash says

I’ve always thinked that a company like Envato could make a charity strategy merging a big project involving all authors with an already big project as RED .

It could be interesting to have “red” marked products, so users know they are giving some money for such an interesting project.

http://www.joinred.com/red/

90 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
RobertHoisan says

Hi sh, thank you for the kind words. I think your idea is fantastic and would sure like to talk more about it after we see where this thread goes.

Sure :) Regarding charities a have some BG and i will be glad to help if i can.

3197 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Provided great feedback to improve the user experience on Envato Market
+11 more
ThomGeskin says

http://www.joinred.com/red/

Well thought, indeed a great project!

Sure :) Regarding charities a have some BG and i will be glad to help if i can.

Great to hear. Thanks for the support!

175 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+4 more
adintermedia says

I also like the idea of donating the sales profits of an single item. :) But it has to be shure that the money goes to a e.g. well known organization like unicef.

14 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+1 more
junkfooddesign says

hm, I mean Envato could do this from their profits, too.. they get 50% (30-50%), maybe they gould give 2% (for example) for Charity, and also the Author 2%.

4% Charity is included in every product, would be a good statment I think-

Also I think, Envato can offset the charity-spending against tax (dunno the volume).

And, Christmas is the time when people spend the most for Charity (don’t have statistics by hand now). So if you do it, it fast please :)

JUNKFOOD (for the world :D )

by
by
by
by
by
by