• Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Jordan
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
uouapps says
Following the latest comments on this thread: http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/envato-your-softdisable-action-is-unprofessional/129427

we would like to propose the idea of having Envato creating 2 prices for an item

price1: item + support

price 2: item without support

support = replying to a buyer within 24 to 48 hours during normal working days and from normal working hours depending on the time zone of the author (any additional suggestions are welcomed)

Cheers

UOU Apps

70 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • France
axool says

Hi,

I personnaly really like the idea : big +1.

However, maybe that it would be important to put some limitations. A buyer who would buy an item with the support could think that some customized modifications would be integrated in the price… Because I think that a buyer and a seller don’t really have the same definition of what is “support” on items / products.

484 posts uouapps
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Jordan
uouapps says

Hi,

I personnaly really like the idea : big +1.

However, maybe that it would be important to put some limitations. A buyer who would buy an item with the support could think that some customized modifications would be integrated in the price… Because I think that a buyer and a seller don’t really have the same definition of what is “support” on items / products.

thanks for your feedback,

what you mentionned above is happening anyway with or without extra charge that’s why a lot of buyers put a 1 star rating even if the theme is great. So as far as this is happening anyway let’s at least have it happen with an extra charge :) (+ Envato could easily make a list of requirements that should be part of the conditions regulating the price with service)

168 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
subsolar says

I said in the other thread, this idea is great.

As support is now not mandatory it just means that the prices of the items now doesn’t include the support. We the authors are giving it to have a reputation and to not received that feared 1 star rating.

Of course the price without support can include feedback like “You color option is not working for that element”, that’s eminent bug, so it will be fixed regardless of the bought support by that client.

But anything including “My links are not working when I click portfolio item”, “Style.css missing” (DUUUUUH!), “I want one-two lines of custom CSS”, “I haven’t read the documentation but how can I insert a new category?” goes into the paid support.

127 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
Cubell says

This is not a good idea and Envato will probably never do this for too many valid reasons to list here, but the main thing you should realise is that “support” expectations from buyers only consists of two main things:

1- Bug reports: If your product has bugs (problem in the code that makes it not work as advertised), of course you have to fix them, otherwise your theme will, and should, be disabled until they are fixed.

2- Customization requests: If you want to charge for this, then charge for it, no one is stopping you from it. To make payments easy, why not apply to Studio.envato.com and sell your customization services there and forward customers to the link of your service it if they want to customize one of your themes? I help with minor customizations, but I always decline big/unrealistic ones and recommend they look at studio.envato.com for a developer to do it, and after thousands of sales, I haven’t received a single 1 star ratings because of this.

A problem is only a problem if you don’t see it as an opportunity :)

484 posts uouapps
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Jordan
uouapps says

This is not a good idea and Envato will probably never do this for too many valid reasons to list here, but the main thing you should realise is that “support” expectations from buyers only consists of two main things:

1- Bug reports: If your product has bugs (problem in the code that makes it not work as advertised), of course you have to fix them, otherwise your theme will, and should, be disabled until they are fixed.

2- Customization requests: If you want to charge for this, then charge for it, no one is stopping you from it. To make payments easy, why not apply to Studio.envato.com and sell your customization services there and forward customers to the link of your service it if they want to customize one of your themes? I help with minor customizations, but I always decline big/unrealistic ones and recommend they look at studio.envato.com for a developer to do it, and after thousands of sales, I haven’t received a single 1 star ratings because of this.

A problem is only a problem if you don’t see it as an opportunity :)

Hi, thanks for your feedback, support is not only about bugs and customization requests, it’s also and mainly about all what goes in between (e.g how can i change the color of this, how can i sorty by rating, is it possible to do this and that… ) fixing bugs is a must and that’s governed by the themeforest requirements, customization request is optional and we all know it including most buyers, so support is mainly all what goes in between cheers UOU

580 posts Don't be so humble - you are not that great.
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Portugal
plusquare says

Hi, thanks for your feedback, support is not only about bugs and customization requests, it’s also and mainly about all what goes in between (e.g how can i change the color of this, how can i sorty by rating, is it possible to do this and that… ) fixing bugs is a must and that’s governed by the themeforest requirements, customization request is optional and we all know it including most buyers, so support is mainly all what goes in between cheers UOU

Thumbs up, definetly there are some support which is bug reporting and feature requests, those should be there anyway. Now assistance with things like wordpress instalations, options handling and so on should be an extra and fall in the category of premium/professional support which usually comes with a prize but maybe something that authors themselves can implement in their support systems.

1468 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
Bedros says

This idea will only make things more confusing.
It is the best as it is now.

Anyway, thanks for sharing it.
Kind Regards,
Bedros

135 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 0-1 years
WPEnter says

+1

484 posts uouapps
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Jordan
uouapps says

thanks guys for your feedback and sharing your opinions, allow us to share with you our thoughts from a commercial viability pov:

if one of our items costs $55 after deduction of Envato’s commission we get $38.5 our costs for covering the after sale service support is an average of $10 to $12 per hour

in 60% of the cases the issues that buyer report or need are coming from their end (in the sense that they didn’t configure properly the theme (e.g. installing dummy content before installing the recommended plugins) or didn’t read the documentation properly…)

so this means that if we spend more than 3 hours per buyer then this buyer becomes a cost and some of them are even worse than a cost they are a pain because you spend hours helping them and at the end they even have the guts to give you a 1 star rating

so in order to minimize this waste the way how things could be is that the ITEM would costs $55 and if a buyer wants support then he/she should pay XX$ / month or year

because if the support extra charge is based on a one time payment then sooner or later these 3 hours will be reached then every buyer will become a cost

by
by
by
by
by
by