• Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • United States
fillerspace says

so this means that if we spend more than 3 hours per buyer then this buyer becomes a cost and some of them are even worse than a cost they are a pain

Hopefully you will not have support requests from every buyer. You will definitely lose money on some percentage of buyers who take advantage of support, but the majority should be happy to read the documentation and never contact you. I guess the mystery is how do you keep that percentage low enough to maintain profitability?

487 posts uouapps
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Jordan
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
uouapps says

so this means that if we spend more than 3 hours per buyer then this buyer becomes a cost and some of them are even worse than a cost they are a pain
Hopefully you will not have support requests from every buyer. You will definitely lose money on some percentage of buyers who take advantage of support, but the majority should be happy to read the documentation and never contact you. I guess the mystery is how do you keep that percentage low enough to maintain profitability?

Hi, you’re right that’s the question to solve, the thing is some buyers act for 10 so maybe not all buyers have support requests but some buyers’ requests go beyond a natural request and you end up with a low rating if you don’t satisfy them, so the point is as far as this is a fact that will not be changed on a short term basis, let’s at least benefit from an extra charge

168 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
subsolar says

The whole rating system is somehow strange. Why a buyer have the option to give 1 Star. The theme has passed the reviewer so its expected that it works as it should.

“1 Star” is like handing a gun to the client so that he can use it to rob an author :confused:

612 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
ChapterThemes says

@fillerspace has a good point.

And ofcourse @uouapps is right about that exactly thát is the ‘problem’ to solve.

Another problem is in what timeframe should support response? 48 hours is already very tight since we’re all coming from different timezones etc. If i sleep and someone posts a request it could already be over 30 hours in difference or something. Plus not everyone has a support team to always reply fast.

Besides that i see i real danger in customers expecting way too much when they’re going to pay extra for a theme including support. Especially since most of know that ‘bigger’ support questions 9 out of 10 times go about customizing things ór will require customization. And i don’t think we can get a good quality/support related price for such things.

So when doing such a thing as paying extra for some sort of support it would still be very basic support. Make an 40/50 dollar item a 100 dollar it’s already going to be too expensive since we are in the stock-business here.

Even when it wil be 100 dollar you still have a problem when you’ll get too many support requestions.

At this moment you mostly get support requests because maybe something doesn’t work after an update, or someone doesn’t understand how to setup something. Small things mostly – reply, fix, refer to a section inside the documentation and you’re done. Maybe a couple of times you get some requests or questions which require customization and most of the time you reply and it passes by. ( they’ll hardly ever willing to pay and if they’re willing to pay it’s like 50 times below your rate )

When people are going to pay though, buyers expect a lot more i think. You’ll get a lot more requests with more advanced questions and higher expectations of support, including changing things.

361 posts
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
metrothemes says

+1 This idea is great.

487 posts uouapps
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Jordan
uouapps says

@fillerspace has a good point.

And ofcourse @uouapps is right about that exactly thát is the ‘problem’ to solve.

Another problem is in what timeframe should support response? 48 hours is already very tight since we’re all coming from different timezones etc. If i sleep and someone posts a request it could already be over 30 hours in difference or something. Plus not everyone has a support team to always reply fast.

Besides that i see i real danger in customers expecting way too much when they’re going to pay extra for a theme including support. Especially since most of know that ‘bigger’ support questions 9 out of 10 times go about customizing things ór will require customization. And i don’t think we can get a good quality/support related price for such things.

So when doing such a thing as paying extra for some sort of support it would still be very basic support. Make an 40/50 dollar item a 100 dollar it’s already going to be too expensive since we are in the stock-business here.

Even when it wil be 100 dollar you still have a problem when you’ll get too many support requestions.

At this moment you mostly get support requests because maybe something doesn’t work after an update, or someone doesn’t understand how to setup something. Small things mostly – reply, fix, refer to a section inside the documentation and you’re done. Maybe a couple of times you get some requests or questions which require customization and most of the time you reply and it passes by. ( they’ll hardly ever willing to pay and if they’re willing to pay it’s like 50 times below your rate )

When people are going to pay though, buyers expect a lot more i think. You’ll get a lot more requests with more advanced questions and higher expectations of support, including changing things.

Hi thanks for sharing your opinion, i’ll rereply to this comment tonight or tomorrow, in the meantime the point is that right now buyers are expecting anyway to get answers whether the pay an extra or not it will not change so much for the buyer because he/she considers that the ITEM includes support so by charging an extra fee on a monthly/yearly basis and by providing specific guidelines about support criterias (e.g.working hours, working days… ) we will at least be able to generate extra revenues that could help us employ more people for support (it’s also great to create more job opportunities)

1148 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
fillerspace says

I think ChapterThemes makes a great point that once you start charging for support, the (already unreasonable) expectations will go up. I already get some pretty crazy requests from my $5 plugins, just imagine if customers were actually paying an additional fee for support. Right now you can fall back on the position that support is not required, but you’re offering it as a gift, but if users actually pay for it, then they will likely expect a certain level of support, including response times, availability, and more complex issues solved. At that point, the extra money will just get eaten up by the extra support time, and you may actually be making less money overall, since your time is more valuable when spent on making new items than on supporting existing ones.

I think if Envato did offer something like this, it would have to have a time limit or some other mechanism to cap the demand. Something like $50 for 90 days of support or 5 tickets, whichever comes first.

487 posts uouapps
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Jordan
uouapps says

since your time is more valuable when spent on making new items than on supporting existing ones. I think if Envato did offer something like this, it would have to have a time limit or some other mechanism to cap the demand. Something like $50 for 90 days of support or 5 tickets, whichever comes first.

regarind your first the 2 extracts from your last message above:

re: paragraph1- that’s relative to every author, one of the best selling themes (e.g. avada, X) focus on 1 item only so they would actually disagree with your statement

2- regarding the $50 for 90 days or limiting the number of tickets, that’s an example but at the end it should be up to the author to decide how to create his own support package because it’s something relative to each author while the price of the item is based on themeforest standards

so the support package should actually be flexible enough and part of the same payment gateway when purchasing the item, like a sort of breadcrumn e.g.:

1- purchase your item
2- choose the type of support
3- complimentary plugins…

1148 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
fillerspace says

regarind your first the 2 extracts from your last message above: re: paragraph1- that’s relative to every author, one of the best selling themes (e.g. avada, X) focus on 1 item only so they would actually disagree with your statement

Fair point, but that only applies to a handful of the top authors compared to the nearly hundred thousand authors between them and me (rank ~ 70k). Also, they might actually agree that it is better to spend time getting more sales for an existing item than focusing on paid support. Remember that authors with a single item (e.g. Avada, X) are constantly improving that item, and I would put that in the same category as developing new items in that it is more valuable to do this than to provide one-off customization and setup services for a fee.

1148 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
fillerspace says

2- regarding the $50 for 90 days or limiting the number of tickets, that’s an example but at the end it should be up to the author to decide how to create his own support package because it’s something relative to each author while the price of the item is based on themeforest standards

I think the limit might actually be necessary depending on the pay structure. If the support is a flat rate for perpetual support, then it will be less profitable over time for authors. If it is a recurring charge, then you have to stop charging this fee if the author ever stops providing support, retires, etc.

by
by
by
by
by
by