438 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • United States
christopherjon says
why create something that already exists ?! why recreate the wheel! i really do not get you guys…
Somebody has to write the cool stuff that everybody else is using.

If it wasn’t for a couple of tutorial sites and open source code most authors would be out of business.

More power to T-Fever if he want’s to break free and do something fresh n’ creative.

3007 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+2 more
duotive says
christopherjon said
why create something that already exists ?! why recreate the wheel! i really do not get you guys…

If it wasn’t for a couple of tutorial sites and open source code most authors would be out of business.

More power to T-Fever if he want’s to break free and do something fresh n’ creative.
http://bxslider.com/ read the api than question your self if there is a need to recreate a content slider.
438 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
christopherjon says
http://bxslider.com/ read the api than question your self if there is a need to recreate a content slider.
I’ve seen it. Nothing wrong with it. It’ll get the job done. The ticker mode is pretty cool and uncommon.

But, with your line of thinking, the author of BX slider shouldn’t have bothered since cycle slider does the same thing and has been around for years, not to mention the thousands of other free sliders available.

Like I said, if nobody was writing this cool stuff and making it available, the rest of us would have really boring websites. Everybody should just stop reading right now and send $100 to the author of the Nivo slider because without it most ThemeForest authors would be out of work.

542 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
ThemesFever says
christopherjon said

+1

Thanks for the support ;)

615 posts
  • Power Elite Author
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 2 000 000 - 4 999 999 dollars
  • Austria
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+4 more
Kriesi says
duotive said
christopherjon said

Of course there is. If you ever want to use a slider thats not used by everyone else (nivo slider comes to mind) you will have to build it yourself. And if you dont know the basics you wont be able to do that.

I think its a great thing if he wants to learn that, instead of going the easy way and throwing a bunch of free slideshows into his theme ;D

3007 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
+2 more
duotive says
Kriesi said
duotive said
christopherjon said

Of course there is. If you ever want to use a slider thats not used by everyone else (nivo slider comes to mind) you will have to build it yourself. And if you dont know the basics you wont be able to do that.

I think its a great thing if he wants to learn that, instead of going the easy way and throwing a bunch of free slideshows into his theme ;D

For the content slider we use bx slider. For the special sliders we use our own code. I do not see the use to create a content slider too. That was what i was trying to say, not for him to stop codding, but do not code something that already is out there, that was the idea.

615 posts
  • Power Elite Author
  • Austria
+4 more
Kriesi says
duotive said
Kriesi said
duotive said
christopherjon said

For the content slider we use bx slider. For the special sliders we use our own code. I do not see the use to create a content slider too. That was what i was trying to say, not for him to stop codding, but do not code something that already is out there, that was the idea.

Well that probably works for you since you already know javascript but how on earth should he be able to pull of a unique slideshow if he struggles to build even a basic one like this? :)

Once you have mastered the easy stuff I agree: no need to re build it over and over again. But if you are still learning the do’s and dont’s from the very beginning I would always encourage people to write their own stuff

3007 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
+2 more
duotive says
Kriesi said
Well that probably works for you since you already know javascript but how on earth should he be able to pull of a unique slideshow if he struggles to build even a basic one like this? :)
True, sorry for being a pain, Kriesi is right. :) Sorry.
615 posts
  • Power Elite Author
  • Austria
+4 more
Kriesi says

BTW : here are a bunch of really good slideshow tutorials: http://vandelaydesign.com/blog/web-development/jquery-image-galleries/

probably one of these slideshows will be similar to what you need, so use the one closest and work your way to the desired result ;D

542 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
ThemesFever says
Kriesi said
BTW : here are a bunch of really good slideshow tutorials: http://vandelaydesign.com/blog/web-development/jquery-image-galleries/ probably one of these slideshows will be similar to what you need, so use the one closest and work your way to the desired result ;D

I will make sure to check it out ;)

Thanks everyone :bigsmile:

by
by
by
by
by
by