33 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
dotsona says

I was wondering if any other designers have this problem, I noticed that I tend to be very critical of my own work, almost to the point where it stops me from being productive. Over the weekend I decided to work on a new template for themeforest, and so far I have gone through and restarted several times. Now I am back to square one with nothing, and I ended up getting nothing done during this entire weekend because of myself being to critical of my own work.

I was curious if other designers have problems similar to this, and how do you get over your design not being the best it can be, how do you stay motivated if your not completely thrilled with the design? Maybe I need to accept that not every design is a winner, I just always tend to beat myself up on my work.

2952 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+10 more
DDStudios says

The only time that happen to me is when I don’t have fun doing what I do.

If you put to much pressure because you really want to do a theme by the weekend because you really need money , for exemple , chances are that you will try to take shortcut , or you will be too much inspired by another design and you will end up with nothing.

What I do now is that everyday I work on my stuff from 10am to 6pm , I work 3 day , 1 day off , work 3 day , 1 day off and so on.

I don’t put pression on me , I just play in photoshop , I try to find a nice layout or a nice color .. something that inspire me , something to build around.

I know my design are not totally awesome but I really think they are getting better and this is all I want.

Don’t compare yourself to other designer on the internet , maybe they do that for 15 years and you don’t even know. And maybe they do it for 1 years , like me.

So, the most important thing is to have fun creating stuff. If you are not inspired, or if you can’t achieve something that look good .. maybe its just not your day .. go to the museum , surf on the web for nice design or read some positive blog post ..

Hope that help , sorry for my english.

:)

33 posts
+1 more
dotsona says

Thanks for your reply DD, you made a good point, I haven’t been having fun, and that’s my problem. I have been working so much lately that I have taken the fun out of web design, I am going to take your advice and take a little break, I need to reflect on the good times I had as a web designer, I fee much better, thanks :D

4323 posts ThemeForest Reviewer
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
Ivor Envato team says

Play around with photoshop, visit sites for inspiration :) that’s what I do. My last work was inspired in the 45royale.com layout. “See it here if you want.

153 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
Genem says

I have this “problem” and I hate it. I browse inspirational sites, but even when I have everything I need I still end up feeling like I have copied too much.

Another bad habit I have is that I can’t create something in the correct style. Example: for something corporate, my design ends up being too creative. Fixing this is a pain. Anyone else have/had this? How did you fix it?

Sorry if I went off topic.

33 posts
+1 more
dotsona says

@Genem I use to have that problem, after awhile though you start to see the rules of certain types of designs, they all follow similar patterns, I guess that’s something that just takes time. What I usually do is if I am looking to make a corporate I tend to look at other corporate sites and examine the qualities of those site i.e Typography, common elements, color schemes, general positioning things of that nature. Usually all “types” of sites follow similar trends and styles, you just have to make sure you note them.

by
by
by
by
by
by