317 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+6 more
kramz says

I think I made a bad move upgrading to CS4 . I’m having more sales with my CS3 files than the new ones. I’m wondering if CS3 buyers will ever upgrade to CS4 since it’s been out for a while now and some of us are expecting CS5 will ship in April 2010. Thoughts anyone?

15 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
justD says

I cannot understand adobe’s marketing strategy of releasing a new cs version every couple of years or something..In my opinion CS3 the version most of the buyers prefer. I don’t think you made mistake, after all that’s the future. It may take some time though.. Fingers crossed for better compatibility between version after cs5 emerges.

1001 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+7 more
baf2681 Envato team says

Yeah unfortunately when you create files they need to be as compatible as possible and that means always working back a version.

3135 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
Daniel_R says
The fewer restrictions the better. Every obstacle that could narrow the potential customer range should be removed if you want to get more sales. When I made my items CS4 compatible only, I got lot of complains and requests to make them compatible with CS3 (which of course is not possible without remaking the item completely) Since there are no significant diference between CS3 and CS4 I prefer to use CS3 to make my items usable for wider range. And I suggest the same for everyone. AE7 probably is not worth it – it’s too old and since then lot of things have changed. I personaly havn’t came across AE7 user that would complain about compability issues these days.

+100000000 we gotta stay using CS3 , and figure it out how CS5 will become a standard since I heard is coming pack with great features…

1554 posts AEdorde.com - After Effects Projects
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+8 more
dorde says

this thread scared me because I moved from v7 to cs4 few days ago :S
people, can we have two versions on one system, cs3 and cs4?
and if we can – what with plugins, can we just copy/paste plugins from/to plugins folder? or maybe somehow reconfigure new installed version to use plugins from another version (change path)?

177 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+3 more
InkVille says

even i am scared now.. i have almost all cs4 compatible projects here

1001 posts
+7 more
baf2681 Envato team says
and if we can – what with plugins, can we just copy/paste plugins from/to plugins folder? or maybe somehow reconfigure new installed version to use plugins from another version (change path)?

your best bet is to reinstall, otherwise you’ll get all kinds of errors on program launch about missing plugins or duplicates, and trust me that is a pain in the ass.

317 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+6 more
kramz says

Thank you guys, I guess the smart thing is to work back a version as Brian said. If you have anymore thoughts, keep’m coming.

237 posts elementza.com
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+9 more
elements says
your best bet is to reinstall, otherwise you’ll get all kinds of errors on program launch about missing plugins or duplicates, and trust me that is a pain in the ass.

yeap, happened to me. Lost a whole day straightening things up, and putting CS3 to work properly again

1001 posts
+7 more
baf2681 Envato team says

the file structure and location of the some plugins is different in CS4 so you have to re install them.

by
by
by
by
by
by