59 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United States
blazedd says

As a web designer I have to say I too am guilty of this.

I have seen too many themes that rely on CSS 3 properties, but don’t have an IE replacement. Thats only half way doing your job! Maybe I am just ranting, but it seems to me that too many designers rely on their product to be used in Firefox, Safari or Chrome (yeah, yeah, opera too).

Maybe a suggestion that authors would add a little effort and put some IE support to their products if they plan to use CSS 3 ?

78 posts
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
fredwu says

I actually wish I had the courage to drop IE support (well, at least IE6 & 7). But often than not I find myself too into make something ‘perfect’ and spend more time on solving IE issues.

30 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Romania
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
nfr says

I beg to differ… CSS3 is the future and we as designers have to push it. If we just keep supporting ancient history we will never move forward.

Just make sure your design works in IE6 ,7 and you’ll be fine… who care you don’t have round corners, or text shadow, or box-shadow in IE6 ? You think a IE6 users cares about a little dropshadow or some tiny transparency. To you I can make all the difrence in the world… for them it could just as well not be there.

Recommended reading: http://24ways.org/2009/ignorance-is-bliss

59 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
blazedd says

I am not saying to NOT use it! I am saying designers are TOO RELIANT on CSS 3 to carry their design. They need to still have IE support!

CSS 3 is awesome, like I said I love it!

1865 posts YOU TOUCH IT YOU BUY IT
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
+1 more
FRESHFACE says

You just can’t do some things for IE browsers, even in JQuery. This way you can call it a “bonus” for modern browsers. IE support should be as good as the designer can do it, I always do my best to support every browser.

951 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Netherlands
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Daan says
Recommended reading: http://24ways.org/2009/ignorance-is-bliss

You beat me to it :(
But, another article (by the same author): http://stuffandnonsense.co.uk/blog/about/you8217re_living_in_a_fantasy_world

CSS3 is the future, we have to push the new techniques forward, or else in 10 years every one is still using IE6 /7.

Why shouldn’t we be rewarding the good stuff (using modern browsers) instead of only compromising the bad stuff (using IE)

67 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • France
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
Headset says

IE should support designers and the future of CSS … not us. Well that if we want things to move a bit regarding that browser.

6 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
PixelPoco says

I totally disagree with you, as with the comments above. As designers we have to push forward new technology, new standards and so on because the users normally won’t do it themselves.

88 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Singapore
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
Gyro says

I don’t see how using css3 is compromising on IE? Rounded corners, transparency, these are all features that are aesthetic (of course, depending on usage). I’m adding value to non IE users, but im not harming IE users imo.

59 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
blazedd says

You all misunderstood my statement.

Please READ THIS

I am all for CSS3 and use it to this day. But there are authors that are not providing IE support to some CSS3 elements. And yes you can’t do EVERYTHING CSS 3 provides with even jquery. I am just seeing an over-reliance on the end user to have a CSS3 browser.

We have been designing websites for years without CSS3 and now people are using it as a shortcut and aren’t covering all browsers. To us developers/designers IE isn’t important. But to the business world, to some: it is all they know.

Again, I AM NOT TALKING DOWN TO CSS3 .

by
by
by
by
by
by