26 posts
  • Ireland
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
Johnny4B says

Why are so many websites getting through as ie-7 to ie-9 compatible when they clearly are using CSS transitions.

I have seen three websites in the recent two weeks with almost identical circular transitions ON THE FRONT PAGE getting passed by verification for ie-7 -9 !!!

Are the powers that verifying not doing their job correctly.

Just thought I’d ask

Regards

J

1466 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Croatia
OriginalEXE says

Why does it matter? Is the website falling apart because of the transitions used, but not available, in IE?

Just because all effects are not working in IE does not mean it’s not compatible with those browsers, what matters is that the layout, structure and looks (where possible) is the same.

26 posts
  • Ireland
  • Exclusive Author
Johnny4B says

What, are you for real

The structure, you think most people buy websites for the structure, give me a break

The websites are using a transition that is not working in a browser it states it works in, why does it matter, cause some poor gobsh**E is going to buy said template and then complain and question why the super dooper effect on the front of his website does not work anymore

Thats why it matters

385 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • United Kingdom
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Exclusive Author
EugeneO says

The point you raised reminds me of this: http://dowebsitesneedtolookexactlythesameineverybrowser.com/

I would say that as long as the website is functional in a browser (it can be used and navigated), then it is compatible.

26 posts
  • Ireland
  • Exclusive Author
Johnny4B says

Well Eugene, all I know is, if I showcase a prototype of a website for a client and they are paying for that work, and I tell them its compatible in xy browser, and it is not, then I aint doing my job correctly

Why should it be any different for a web portal such as Envato to allow their customers, of many who dont code, buy a template that is not compatible with the browser it states.

I aint having a go at the authors (to a degree ,although the three i have seen have been from fairly new authors), but its products being sold that don’t fulfill their description

If people think that fine, well I disagree, maybe its just different perspective on what you are delivering to clients, or in Envato’s case, their customers

1999 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Won a Competition
+4 more
bitfade says

and you’ll see more and more of them because devs just got sick of implementing jquery fallbacks to support old ie crap. Compatible doesn’t mean optimized for and, as long as layout is good, i don’t see any issue with it.

IE was hardly ever able to run anything super duper, not to mention its memory leaks eating ram for breakfast when using even the simplest js code.

Users want all the eye candy ? then they can install a real browser.

26 posts
  • Ireland
  • Exclusive Author
Johnny4B says

And just to add, I imagine the majority of Envato customers, particularly with Themeforest, buy the templates based on aesthetics more than anything else.

They couldn’t give a damn how its built, or what structure it has

26 posts
  • Ireland
  • Exclusive Author
Johnny4B says

and you’ll see more and more of them because devs just got sick of implementing jquery fallbacks to support old ie crap. Compatible doesn’t mean optimized for and, as long as layout is good, i don’t see any issue with it.

IE was hardly ever able to run anything super duper, not to mention its memory leaks eating ram for breakfast when using even the simplest js code.

Users want all the eye candy ? then they can install a real browser.

Old ie crap, we are taking about ie9, who is using ie10, nobody that has not upgraded to W8, that’s for sure

814 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Serbia
rvision_ says

Well Eugene, all I know is, if I showcase a prototype of a website for a client and they are paying for that work, and I tell them its compatible in xy browser, and it is not, then I aint doing my job correctly

Then make it compatible in xy browser.

1999 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Won a Competition
+4 more
bitfade says

IE9 doesn’t support css transitions. Without a js fallback, that means no fade but on/off for an hover transition. That doesn’t qualify as major issue in my book: as long as all elements are correctly placed/formatted, the template/theme is ie compatible.

If that’s not the case for you, just ie check the preview before purchasing it.

by
by
by
by
by
by