• Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
eLION says

Hey everyone,

Got a question.

I’m working on a pure CSS3 item… sort of a menu system. Anyway it uses a lot of CSS3 like borders, shadows, gradients, etc, etc.

Now everything works and looks great in all browsers except ALL versions of IE :crying:

Even IE9 is only displaying CSS3 for just some of the elements and not for others. I’m also using PIE to fix older IE versions but it’s not detecting it at all.

I hear some people saying when they test something that has CSS3 on different computers, sometimes it shows and sometimes it doesn’t, which is a little weird.

My question anyway is if a product is pure CSS3 then is it still required to work in IE?

499 posts
  • Located in Canada
+2 more
TutelageSystems says

My opinion is that it should function properly still in IE 7 /8/9. Not so much the look (square corners, solid colours, etc) but definitely the function properly.

265 posts
+3 more
eLION says

My opinion is that it should function properly still in IE 7 /8/9. Not so much the look (square corners, solid colours, etc) but definitely the function properly.

Well it certainly functions right… just looks like poop. :sarcasm:

320 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
jwmcpeak says

Make sure you test against IE9 RC . It’s feature complete, as opposed to the beta (which used the preview 4 or 5 engine).

265 posts
+3 more
eLION says

Ok I’ll check that out… thanks

13 posts
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in United Kingdom
Krypto4 says

I cannot believe people still use IE when there are better browsers out there. It’s about time IE caught up with the times.

632 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
Thecodingdude says

It’s obscene that people EXPECT IE to work, I mean, it’s only recently that crashie.com doesn’t actually crash IE, I mean, that’s just bad in itself.

If you use IE, you need to expect trouble.

If I were you, I’d remove IE support altogether, yes, you may be reducing your audience, but it’s better then spending decades getting anywhere.

I mean, think about it, IE9 has only JUST got css3 support, and it STILL doesn’t work properly.

:P

265 posts
+3 more
eLION says

Personally I really don’t care if it works in IE, I was just asking for the sake of getting my item approved… where in all actuality the people who’ll be using this item are likely going to be other designers, developers and bloggers of sorts.

499 posts
  • Located in Canada
+2 more
TutelageSystems says

I cannot believe people still use IE when there are better browsers out there. It’s about time IE caught up with the times.

Not every user who uses the internet is tech savvy. Here at my full time job about 95% of people are using IE or whatever comes installed with their OS (IE 8, because of Windows 7), I don’t see many students who have OSX using chrome or another browser around campus (I work at a university).

Even though IE9 is on its release candidate, unless they push it as a “need-to” update, people will still use old versions of IE. Nothing you can do until everyone catches up with the new Windows (8 as it will have IE9 installed).

And there are ton’s of companies that still use Windows XP, so even though “we” use different browsers you cannot expect the entire world to be up to date, there is just no way.

As as long as the fall back of those browsers work then you are ok. And I think as a rule on CC and/or any market place, they should outline the browsers that it works in a little more defined if we are moving this way (since most of us are). If it doesn’t work in IE7 , then make it say that so our clients do not assume that because it works in IE8 that it will work in IE7 .

265 posts
+3 more
eLION says

\\

I got it working in IE7 and up!

Had to add just a couple lines of css to an if IE stylesheet to get it working right in IE9 and had to use that same code plus CSS PIE for other versions.

For those who don’t know when using CSS Pie and having problems, usually adding position:relative will fix them ;)

by
by
by
by
by
by