17 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • France
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
chaman_matrix says

Hey peeps! I’m working on my first theme and I was wondering how to add transitions to my theme. I’ve done some research and found out that CSS3 transitions are easier to implement and perform better too. Jquery, on the other hand provides better support for older browsers. Which one do you guys prefer? Most people at this day and age use the latest browsers. Is jquery really worth the slow speed and extra effort or should I go with CSS3 transitions? Thank you.

22 posts
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Poland
envp says

Hi, how about detectign old browser and when it is – using jQuery, otherwise using CSS3?

5310 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
CodingJack says

envp’s suggestion is a good one. You can test for it like this:

var supportsCssTransitions = canTransition(document.createElement("span").style);

function canTransition(style) {

return "WebkitTransition" in style || 
           "MozTransition" in style || 
           "OTransition" in style || 
           "MSTransition" in style || 
           "transition" in style || false;

}
356 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Malaysia
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
billyf says

For me, I’d prefer CSS transitions over those powered by Javascript simply because they are more efficient. If you have too much of animations powered by Javascript / jQuery, the site will become slow, especially when you scroll through the page.

For me, if the animation is not something crucial, I’ll just ignore older browsers which don’t support CSS transitions. After all, having a fast, usable website is much better than a beautiful, sluggish website.

18 posts
  • Exclusive Author
zatolab says

For me, I’d prefer CSS transitions over those powered by Javascript simply because they are more efficient. If you have too much of animations powered by Javascript / jQuery, the site will become slow, especially when you scroll through the page. For me, if the animation is not something crucial, I’ll just ignore older browsers which don’t support CSS transitions. After all, having a fast, usable website is much better than a beautiful, sluggish website.

+1000 :)

5751 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

@chaman_matrix, the decision can’t be made without knowing what old browsers your theme should support. Since it is unavoidable supporting IE8 (in TF), you may need fallback with jquery or pure javascript:

http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/internet-explorer-8-compatibility-is-still-required/80910
5310 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
CodingJack says

For me, I’d prefer CSS transitions over those powered by Javascript simply because they are more efficient.

CSS3 is certainly faster than JavaScript timers, but not always faster than requestAnimationFrame depending on the browser.

For me, if the animation is not something crucial, I’ll just ignore older browsers which don’t support CSS transitions. After all, having a fast, usable website is much better than a beautiful, sluggish website.

Totally agree. What good is an animation on IE8 if it runs like crap anyway.

17 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • France
chaman_matrix says

Thanks a lot guys!

by
by
by
by
by