922 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
+13 more
MDNW says

Hi everyone,

So, I’ve started seeing little comments like “ugh, another cu3er template” from authors and buyers. I’m just curious what other authors are thinking at this point.

I personally think that it’s an awesome plugin, but doesn’t replace a good design or fix a bad one. In lots of cases, a basic template without CU3ER can have it installed in under 15 minutes, so it seems like it should be swappable with any other jQuery/Flash slider out there – but I also know buyers don’t see it this way and that CU3ER based templates seem to be selling like hotcakes. So here are the questions:

Has CU3ER taken over templates? What are the pro’s and con’s of including it in a template? Is this just another fad that will fade away in a month? Do you think buyers are demanding CU3ER in templates now? Are you sick of seeing CU3ER in templates?

Veteran authors: Has a similar plugin caused a similar phenomena in the past?

Also – I’m very interested in hearing from buyers too, so don’t hesitate to respond.

380 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
celtathemes says

I think it’s the plugin of the moment, so there will be lots of templates using it and lots of buyers buying templates because of it.

960 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
jeffeatworld says

Interesting post!!!

I loved the first few, but it has been a litle bit overused lately but I can see why authors would want to use it I mean it’s alot easier to implment than jQuery sliders.

The only negative I can see is it’s Flash based, and while I’m not against Flash in general here in the UK many Public Sector organisations (like seeriously big national companies) block Flash on websites.

I like the plugin, it’s awesome and looks great but as a purist and an author I much prefer jQuery Solutions.

To emphasis my point there is a new template using a very unique slider:

http://themeforest.net/item/innovationscience-theme-portfolio-business-html/75524

I think this type is much more unique and as an author I’d buy it just to find out how it was made lol.

4336 posts ThemeForest Reviewer
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
Ivor Envato team says

My template “iMaxell” was the first with CU3ER in ThemeForest and it was a hit, I’ve experimented with 4 more options (jQuery fades and slides) because too many people hate flash, in fact I don’t like flash I just prefer minimal sites without flash and that’s why I used those jQuery options.

CU3ER is so easy to cuztomize and beautiful hence the hit but is too boring now with 8 or 9 templates/themes (and counting) using it as the main slide. I think I will use it again in another template but differently.

2952 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+10 more
DDStudios says

I won’t elaborate.

I’m sick of it and I will never use it in my theme even if it would give me more money.

This plugin take too much place in a design.

I love to create my own stuff.

960 posts
+4 more
jeffeatworld says
I won’t elaborate.

I’m sick of it and I will never use it in my theme even if it would give me more money.

This plugin take too much place in a design.

I love to create my own stuff.

Good shout – it’s too easy to chuck into a design and submit as a theme, it’s not unique enough.

415 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
osigrandi says

Personally, I just hate flash with all my heart, but cu3er is just like any other fad, it comes, it goes…I think the same happened with jQuery sliders, only jQuery allows for more variation, while cu3er, already used in several themes here will probably go out of style more quickly.

960 posts
+4 more
jeffeatworld says

Check out this post.

http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/cu3er-slider-flash-component-wordpress-problem/20000

Anything that I can’t control I instantly dislike lol.

1148 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
fillerspace says

cu3er is starting to annoy me. i don’t see using it in any themes i’m working on. My first submission will use a new jQuery slider that will bring something fresh and different, plus it works on mobile devices. That’s good enough for me.

922 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
+13 more
MDNW says

My two cents:

I’ve opted to offer it in a few of my templates as optional elements (just like an image or a video), but they aren’t crucial design components in any case. I do have a few in the works that will use CU3ER as an optional alternative to a jQuery slider on the homepage, but I don’t think that it should be used in EVERY new template that comes out. Unfortunately, I think that lots of buyers will basically buy CU3ER on first impression without really understanding the limitations that it brings. Perhaps seeing 15 items on the homepage with the same plugin will create backlash.

I’m not sick of seeing CU3ER per say, but I am tired of seeing lackluster designs using it as a crutch to pick up sales. That’s not creativity – it’s gimmickry. If the template won’t work without CU3ER (ie: using a flat image instead), it’s probably not a great template to begin with.

In most cases, I think templates that force CU3ER on buyers should also be required offer a suitable non-flash alternative – this being themeforest and all – it seems silly that a template should force Flash as a layout component. That’s just my own humble opinion though.

That said, I still think CU3ER is great and meets a lot of buyers requests for a powerful attention getting device. As an author, you pretty much can’t afford to ignore it’s existence right now. Even if you decide not to use it, you’ve gotta be aware of the competition.

Finally – I really do hope that it’s a passing fad. I like it (a lot), but there are a lot of powerful non-Flash alternatives out there that I hope get attention from designers and developers here. :)

Good discussion so far!

by
by
by
by
by
by