1 post
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
webgeeknet says

Interestingly, according to the Cu3er License, it appears that including it in templates for resale is forbidden:

• You may use CU3ER in personal and / or commercial projects.
  • You may implement CU3ER in an unlimited number of websites and offline presentations, as long as you are acting as the administrator and / or developer for those websites and / or presentations.
  • You may deploy SWFs containing CU3ER as part of hired work for a third party as long as the SWF is unique to said party and not replicated / resold / redistributed as part of a template, application or service to additional parties.
  • SWFs containing CU3ER may not be embedded in a template, content management system, and / or online web service in a manner where the SWF is replicated and used as a slideshow viewer for photos contributed by more than one party.
  • CU3ER may not be sub-licensed or resold.
  • You agree not to decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, or otherwise determine or attempt to determine source code for the executable code of CU3ER , and agrees not to permit or authorize anyone else to do so.
  • CU3ER redistribution must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
  • Neither the name of CU3ER nor the name of it contributor (Stefan Kovac) may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.
128 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+5 more
GeertDD says

The Cu3er effect itself is really neat when I first saw it. I’m sure its popularity will fade away, though. It wears off after a while.

Also, if you would present your portfolio or product using Cu3er, where do you think the attention will go to: the painting or its frame?

2268 posts Bird is the word..
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
jonathan01 says
Interestingly, according to the Cu3er License, it appears that including it in templates for resale is forbidden: * You may use CU3ER in personal and / or commercial projects. * You may implement CU3ER in an unlimited number of websites and offline presentations, as long as you are acting as the administrator and / or developer for those websites and / or presentations. * You may deploy SWFs containing CU3ER as part of hired work for a third party as long as the SWF is unique to said party and not replicated / resold / redistributed as part of a template, application or service to additional parties. * SWFs containing CU3ER may not be embedded in a template, content management system, and / or online web service in a manner where the SWF is replicated and used as a slideshow viewer for photos contributed by more than one party. * CU3ER may not be sub-licensed or resold. * You agree not to decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, or otherwise determine or attempt to determine source code for the executable code of CU3ER , and agrees not to permit or authorize anyone else to do so. * CU3ER redistribution must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution. * Neither the name of CU3ER nor the name of it contributor (Stefan Kovac) may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.
The first person to use cu3er was iPad – he received written confirmation from the author that TF authors CAN use it for items here for resale – it’s not the issue here.

I’m not sure what all the fuss is about to be honest – we aren’t here asking if jquery should be used anymore – if people are buying it then you should produce it – as Brandon said at the beginning though, adding to a lackluster design will not elevate it beyond being what it is, a poor design.

558 posts
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in a magazine
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+17 more
theMOLITOR says

Animation, timers, buttons… oh my!

I’ll state the obvious… the technology is amazing. But that’s the problem. It’s too amazing. I visited a site that used CU3ER ( http://www.teamfannypack.com/ ) and I never once looked at the content. I was too busy “oooh-ing and aaaah-ing” at slider and then I left.

I wouldn’t say CU3ER shouldn’t be used, but it’s definitely OVER -used on Theme Forest. Personally, I think it should only be implemented on product-based sites. It’s a little overkill for featured posts on a blog.

206 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
mlando says

When I first saw CU3ER … I really liked the looks of it. I think the shiny new toy appeal will wear off and hope that it will be implemented in more creative ways and WITHOUT every transition it is capable of all in one instance of it. I also Hate seeing the Logo when it loads.

I think it is worth mentioning that, being flash, these blocks will not show on an iPhone or other devises that cannot display swfs… I think that IS one appealing things about JS

For authors… how are you handling writing to the xml files? Does this add another layer of management to a theme or are you able to pull from the loop?

1594 posts Chris Robinson
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
contempoinc says
I’m not sick of seeing CU3ER per say, but I am tired of seeing lackluster designs using it as a crutch to pick up sales. That’s not creativity – it’s gimmickry. If the template won’t work without CU3ER (ie: using a flat image instead), it’s probably not a great template to begin with.

If the technology sells templates, everyones going to jump on the bandwagon. But I couldn’t agree more, at the moment its the hottest thing since sliced bread and makes any design look good by distracting the user with some fancy transitions. If anything it should be included as an option to a javascript slider, and not a main feature of the template.

by
by
by
by
by
by