• Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+3 more
OhmLab says

Among other tings, I am a classically trained chef and worked at a fairly high level within the fine dining industry for about a dozen years here in the Pacific Northwest (USA). I have always been fascinated and intrigued by traditions that include specific food items during different parts of the year across all cultures around the world. Here in the U.S., this time of year is notorious for hearty soups, slow roasted meats, indulgent pastries and many other special treats we do not really partake in at other times of the year. Today I am making a soup that takes over 12 hours to cook, and some homemade bread, and it leaves the whole neighborhood drooling a bit ;) This is one of my traditional meals that is at the top of the request list of friends and family alike.

I would like to know what dishes you make around this time of year that fill your home with irresistible odors (or what mom used to make, if you don’t cook), and what smells make you think of during this festive time. Our sense of smell is one of the oldest and best developed senses we have. Although grey, wet and at times a touch depressing, these famous Oregon winter months do coax us back into the kitchen where we remember just how nice it is to take our time crafting something that only gets better with each passing year.

It’s nice to get to know our fellow creatives from around the world a little better. And food is universal, so sound off and let us know what’s cooking in your home!

308 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Netherlands
Pandebus says

Now, this is a thread to my liking :)

In Germany, there is an age old tradition. This tradition says that whoever has the biggest and most varied assortment of christmas cookies gets respected in the neighborhood. Now, I don’t live in Germany, nor am I fully German, however, this tradition has been ket in my family. Every year, it is a great honor to be allowed to help bake cookies, and the greatest challenge is to find new kinds of cookies and incorporating them in the already tight schedule of cookie baking.

Then, when It’s christmas, we have a pile of cookies (about 3 kg, if not more) which usually lasts all three christmas days.

if you’re talking about cooked food though, our real christmas meals are Schnitzel and Roast, and of course a nice soup :)

4893 posts
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Envato Staff
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Attended a Community Meetup
+5 more
MarkBrodhuber Staff says

Ooooo I love food! LOL .. And this time of the year is especially good.

Last night I had some great chicken soup, and I’m planning on making some Chicken and Pasta in a Saffron Cream Sauce tonight! I’m saving the big roasts for later in the month!

42 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • United Kingdom
RossSadler says

@OhmLab – I’ve got to know what the soup is???

Been doing a bit of continent jumping – gave the kids liver & bacon for the first time (swapped the liver for sausages – after a few ‘urghhhs’). My wife had Picadillo that I made yesterday (and she didn’t fancy then!?) and I’m just now relaxing with some wine cooking myself Chicken Kapitan.

One of the joys of working from home – I get to do all the cooking!

1026 posts
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • France
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+4 more
Pixelworkshop says

Cooking with wine, red or white, is something I like so much ! And, well, when travelling around the world, I was often asked if in France, we really ate snails and frog’s legs. To tell you the truth, these specialities are not so common, I know quite a lot of people who never tried them but it’s also depending on the part of the country where you live :)

3135 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Won a Competition
Daniel_R says

@OhmLab:

Any recipes for the season you can share? man I love to cook!!

2014 posts
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Serbia
+1 more
urbazon says

That part of the year is actually over now, but it lasted until just a few weeks ago. It starts in early or mid-autumn. And it’s not a custom that makes your house smell of delicious food. It’s a whole city that smells! :) It’s the time when people start preparing “conserved” foods for winter. And the thing that smells so delicious is cooked paprika, prepared as ajvar.

Apart from that, winter is usually a part of the year when we have feasts – people celebrate patron Saints of their home/family, so many meat-based dishes are common this time of year. And, boy, you need some serious skills to survive such a feast :D It starts with mezettes (don’t know how to spell this one, but it’s various salads and appetizers…), followed by soup, then usually by stuffed paprika and sarma. And it’s only after those, if you still have some space left in your belly, that you get to eat meat :) Which is, of course, followed by some sweets, usually various kinds of cookies :) :) No need to mention that during the whole feast you get to drink a lot (starting with aperitif, usually delicious home-distilled rakija, followed by beer or wine – usually spritzer).

Okay, that was enough, I have to attend such a feast tonight (and tomorrow, and the day after tomorrow…), so I better prepare for it :D

693 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+3 more
OhmLab says

Sorry for the delay everyone :)

@RossSadler The dish that sparked this thread was split pea with fresh smoked ham hocks.

@Daniel_R I’m always down with sharing recipes, but you usually only get approximations from me. I don’t measure, weigh or time anything when cooking. Just going for perfection on the fly, so to speak ;)

@urbazon You made my mouth water! I need to make it out there one of these years…

37 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Ireland
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
vftek says

Soups, most definitely, chunky winter veg and potatoes or chunky veg and chicken HMMMM you can’t beat the smell of freshly boiled veg. It reminds me of Sunday’s back in my parents.

Also, around this time of year there’s usually a smell of roasting stout preferrably guinness from the pudding (fruitcake) being baked in the oven. That thing lasts up until February!!!!!

37 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Ireland
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
vftek says

Holy crap! forgot to add coddle and stew to that list! Beautiful!!

by
by
by
by
by
by