152 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
wppowered says

What are your views on customers requesting mods on your themes/templates etc that they have purchased, for free?

Is this something we should be doing as a part of our customer service for the customer?

204 posts Bold WordPress Theme Development
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+1 more
srhnbr says

I take suggestions and requests for new features and if I see it would add to my theme’s value and will generate more sales then I update the theme with the additions. Without charging the buyer that wanted the extra feature.

However, I had people that came and wanted simply a different design so that their theme will not look the same as everyone else’s. In this case, I charge for the work I do.

I must say here that when people make their own modifications and just need a helping hand here and there with how to write this or that with css or where in the css do they find something I do it for free.

I find that most people do appreciate my effords to accomodate them and most times they will return the favor by purchasing more themes from me which results in more sales :)

So I guess it boils down to you and the individual situation

208 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
AdrianMG says

I don’t have time to work for free. It’s just a theme for 12-14$.

Use live previews and descriptions…

352 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
+1 more
danharper says

I do the same as srhnbr. If a customer requests something, and I feel it would make a good addition to the theme itself, I will release an update on ThemeForest. However if they’re asking for something unique for themselves, I have to charge.

I also try to provide some basic support for free on how to achieve some basic modifications themselves (eg. if they wanted to change link colours, I’d tell them briefly how to do a find-and-replace on the original colour with their new one; or how to change a background image etc.)
But it really depends on how much time I have.

Edit: But, no, you’re not obliged to provide after-sales support, but it helps with your reputation, I guess (and you’re more likely to get repeat customers).

238 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Poland
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
Mastergreed says

You’re buying a Mac, and after few days you’re paying a visit to shop:

“Hello there, so I bought a Mac from you, but it’s not what I wanted, can you please put faster CPU inside and 2GB of additional RAM ? Oh, and do this for free, because I already bought Mac once, you know.”

Is this example clear enough? :D I mean – customers know what they’re paying for and they’re paying for theme that comes “as it is”, simple.

1425 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
+10 more
kailoon Reviewer says
You’re buying a Mac, and after few days you’re paying a visit to shop:

“Hello there, so I bought a Mac from you, but it’s not what I wanted, can you please put faster CPU inside and 2GB of additional RAM ? Oh, and do this for free, because I already bought Mac once, you know.”

Is this example clear enough? :D I mean – customers know what they’re paying for and they’re paying for theme that comes “as it is”, simple.

I think this is not a good example… This is service and that is goods delivery.

I think anything that required the author to modify the look of the theme ( pure CSS , no layout mods, no images mods ), it should be free.

Customization like adding features, change sidebar from right to left etc. This should be charged.

However, not every users know how to edit CSS or change from PSD to HTML . But what they required is something really small. Then, I will try my best to do it when I am free.

I take suggestions and requests for new features and if I see it would add to my theme’s value and will generate more sales then I update the theme with the additions. Without charging the buyer that wanted the extra feature.

I agree. Sometimes the customer request maybe a good idea for you to extend your theme to be more useful. I think this is why we need feedback and get improved, serve them better :)

Sounds like a slogan :P

by
by
by
by
by
by