• Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Exclusive Author
  • Repeatedly helped protect Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+2 more
josweb says

Hi, I have started to get some requests for help on my recent theme. I have helped some with a coding issue and a contact form problem. However, what do you do if somebody wants help coding it, adding a logo, installing the theme? Do you charge for this service? The problem has started when somebody thought that the theme was Wordpress, it does however clearly state that it is a html template! Does anyody write that there will be a charge for customization help on the item description? I could do with some advice please!

554 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Football Contest Participant/Runner-up
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United Kingdom
Gareth_Gillman says

I would charge for your time if you’re customising the theme. If you’re fixing bugs and issues with the theme don’t charge but if they want a logo added, custom modifications then they should be ready to pay for your time.

3007 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
+2 more
duotive says

The problem is that most requests take 1 minute – 5 minutes, and what can you charge? The problem is not the individual, the problem is the masses :) Do a math of 15 customers in one hour all requesting something and than you will get a headache :)) This is what we do, so a better support helper from envato would be appreciated. My advice for you would be to do it free for starters to get a reputation, of course if they do not want big changes.

554 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Football Contest Participant/Runner-up
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United Kingdom
Gareth_Gillman says

The problem is that most requests take 1 minute – 5 minutes, and what can you charge? The problem is not the individual, the problem is the masses :) Do a math of 15 customers in one hour all requesting something and than you will get a headache :)) This is what we do, so a better support helper from envato would be appreciated. My advice for you would be to do it free for starters to get a reputation, of course if they do not want big changes.

If it’s a common occurence then writing an FAQ for the theme would be a good idea.

I do a lot of editing of existing websites e.g. add new logo, change background colour etc, these are all chargeable jobs and are charged at one hours work even if it takes me 10 minutes.

I charge for my expertise to do the job, not how long it takes me, I can’t sit and do 20 logo changes a day as that would take up a few hours of my time a day so any work is charged.

This is my freelance work and not TF themes though but I do get quite a few emails about amending TF themes. (Not sure why as I have never advertised this).

733 posts
  • Elite Author
  • United Kingdom
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Exclusive Author
  • Repeatedly helped protect Envato Market against copyright violations
+2 more
josweb says

Thanks alot for your thoughts. I have only had one problem to date as I have only just started to try and get some templates approved. I’ve started slowly with a 404 page and am now up to a vcard! I am not sure that I will ever do a large theme as I don’t think that I could handle the stress of all the emails stating that they’ve bought it but haven’t. This is probably due to today, when someody stated that they had bought the theme and said that there wasnt any documentation provided. I checked to see if they had purchased and they hadn’t. However they did later i think when they needed some help. Is this a regular occurence? I have always been happy to help people and have run my own small design business since 2006. Before this I gave my services for free within in the awards community. I am just unsure how to proceed as they’ve asked for help with how to add their details, logo etc. I have tried but when they think they have to add their details into the css file, I think it’s going to be a long process!

by
by
by
by
by
by