265 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
eLION says

So I’ve recently been assessing my skill-set and wondering if I’m cut out for this type of selling on marketplaces like this where files are meant to reach a general audience.

Looking at my design style throughout the past 6 years and the 2 businesses that I’ve owned, it’s very clear that my style is abrasive and appeals more to gamers than anyone else.

Looking at blizzard.com vs the Udesign Theme, it’s clear that my style reflect blizzard and it’s pretty one-sided.

Either I’m not cut out for this type of selling or there is some secret to get myself out of this mode to want to create abrasive designs, for lack of a better word. Every time I jump in Photoshop, maybe I’m working on a theme for the masses, I immediately want to start throwing in lots of textures, glowing effects, 3d characters and stuff like that. Now when a client comes to me and says they want a design for their Eco company, I know exactly where to go with the design because there is a clear direction.

So either I’m going to stop this and start targeting the gamer market by having my own digital goods site/working with clients, or I’m going to find a way to target general audiences better.

Do you have the same or have been in the same situation? How did you solve the problem? Maybe it wasn’t a problem and you decided to leverage it somehow, if so how?

My thought is that leveraging a natural talent is always better.

122 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
BrianHermelijn says

Just a bit off-topic. But I am sure this guy might encourage you to go down the gaming road etc. : http://www.fullyillustrated.com/portfolio/

265 posts
+3 more
eLION says

Just a bit off-topic. But I am sure this guy might encourage you to go down the gaming road etc. : http://www.fullyillustrated.com/portfolio/

Precisely, that’s the stuff I love! Thanks for sharing.

1498 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Pack
  • Located in United States
+3 more
WebSmacker says

The best advice I can give is follow your passion. It’s so much easier to create stuff that interests you, and getting into a niche like gaming is not a bad choice. Either way you’re still welcome to come back and chat on the forums :)

6082 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

If you watch closely, no matter what job you pick (template based or unique), at some point you will have to sacrifice your freedom and dedicate your work to match the masses. Even if you work for single client’s satisfaction you have a massive end- audience to match your work – regardless of your direct client insists you that way or not.

From my long term observation, there is no such thing like “be happy by picking the jobs that matches own interests”. The key is knowing how deep we can go and still being comfortable even if the work pushes us outside our comfort zone.

For short-term cases, it is better to stick with comfort zone but for long term, that approach wont help more than 1-2 years.

265 posts
+3 more
eLION says

If you watch closely, no matter what job you pick (template based or unique), at some point you will have to sacrifice your freedom and dedicate your work to match the masses. Even if you work for single client’s satisfaction you have a massive end- audience to match your work – regardless of your direct client insists you that way or not.

From my long term observation, there is no such thing like “be happy by picking the jobs that matches own interests”. The key is knowing how deep we can go and still being comfortable even if the work pushes us outside our comfort zone.

For short-term cases, it is better to stick with comfort zone but for long term, that approach wont help more than 1-2 years.

It’s not that I don’t want to do work for the masses, like themes and stuff, it’s just that they’re not usually well received and I usually don’t get any feedback, even when I ask. Criticism is important and without it we can’t evolve.

6082 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

It’s not that I don’t want to do work for the masses, like themes and stuff, it’s just that they’re not usually well received and I usually don’t get any feedback, even when I ask. Criticism is important and without it we can’t evolve.

This obviously happens to anyone initially. So when it comes to selling for multiple users, creators can’t avoid self research efforts. Criticism / feedback is out of scope for paying buyers – would be better if it can be avoided nearly 100%. Even for custom (unique) jobs, ideal expectation would be to avoid iterations / feedback from customer and start with a well prepared initial spec to minimize feedbacks. The same applies here but with understandably little large scale.

442 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Joined an Envato Football competition
+5 more
ZozoUI says

I think thats a good thing that you have your own style which will make you unique. Also do what you’re good at and enjoy it. The design trend always changes. If you want to make some different design like the flat ui or some minimal clean design, you can go get some inspiration from other great designs.

265 posts
+3 more
eLION says

I think thats a good thing that you have your own style which will make you unique. Also do what you’re good at and enjoy it. The design trend always changes. If you want to make some different design like the flat ui or some minimal clean design, you can go get some inspiration from other great designs.

Yea, I would much rather build a site like blizzard or Rome 2 than something like sony which doesn’t really appeal to the type of audience on the marketplaces.

by
by
by
by
by
by