• Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Community Moderator
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
+6 more
Reaper-Media Volunteer moderator says

Okay, it’s been about a month since i lost about half a gig of data to corruption and have changed my ways of storing my data. Never again do I want to go through the horror of not being able to open up my fla files. Luckily most of my data remained intact and i only lost a few files and a quater of a gig of emails.

When my files got corrupted, I was only using a single 250GB Portable USB HDD (stupid me). I see it that i was fortunately caught out pretty early in my freelancing career and only one client FLA was corrupted. * phew *

Since then I have created an account on Amazon AWS S3 and am continually backing up my data to that server. Additionally i have purchased the 2TB WD Mybook Mirror edition, which is configured to RAID1 Mirroring, which means both 1TB drives have exactly the same data incase one of them fails.

My Documents are all read written to the WD drive, then are backed up from that location. The latest 3 versions of each file are alll sent to the external 250GB Drive.

To make it easier to understand, here is an overview image i have created of how all my data is now organised, (yes I got a bit carried away):

Basicall, my main documents are now stored in 4 locations at once :D One of which has the latest 3 copies of each file.

The purpose of this thread is to share stories, advice and basically any information about how you guys store your digital data. It would be interesting to include your prefered brands, favourite off-site storage solutions and any interesting digital horror stories you have ever encountered, or have happened to you.

I personally will never make the mistake on relying on one HDD again! :D

426 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
vasilios says

Nice graphic! :P

At the moment I only have the files on my main drive in the iMac and then a Time Machine backup on my 1TB WD external HD. I’m probably going to start to use Amazon S3 later this year/early next year once I figure out how the pricing works! :P

4335 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Community Moderator
  • Exclusive Author
+6 more
Nice graphic! :P At the moment I only have the files on my main drive in the iMac and then a Time Machine backup on my 1TB WD external HD. I’m probably going to start to use Amazon S3 later this year/early next year once I figure out how the pricing works! :P

AWS S3 is blooming cheap!!!

You can predict your monthly cost here: http://calculator.s3.amazonaws.com/calc5.html

Storage
  • $0.150 per GB – first 50 TB / month of storage used
  • $0.140 per GB – next 50 TB / month of storage used
  • $0.130 per GB – next 400 TB /month of storage used
  • $0.120 per GB – storage used / month over 500 TB
Data Transfer
  • $0.100 per GB – all data transfer in
  • $0.170 per GB – first 10 TB / month data transfer out
  • $0.130 per GB – next 40 TB / month data transfer out
  • $0.110 per GB – next 100 TB / month data transfer out
  • $0.100 per GB – data transfer out / month over 150 TB
Requests
  • $0.01 per 1,000 PUT , COPY, POST , or LIST requests
  • $0.01 per 10,000 GET and all other requests 1

1. No charge for delete requests

4335 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Community Moderator
  • Exclusive Author
+6 more

Word of warning people, it will take you about 1day to upload 10gigs of data to amazon s3. So the first upload is agonisingly long. But after that you’ll be fine.

EDIT : Actually it depends on your upload speed :D Forget what I said ;) :D

by
by
by
by
by
by