• Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+4 more
flashedge says

In a perfect world, manufacturers of all devices should take care of the tech gugas to display everything properly and not the content providers. Fact is that for the sake of the few a lot of devs are wasting time, resources and old technologies.

Responsive webdesign seems the way to go, and thank god there are frameworks who normalize things a little bit. The same concept was back in the days with flash which allowed a fluid experience with vector graphics which means litteraly pixel perfect design 1:1 on all devices.

I find myself googling for hacks and workarounds to get things working on all browsers and devices, which is a real real pain. As said by Jack, I was using Flash because it was perfect, reliable and it worked. Now we have retina displays which might revive vector graphics, but we had this already a decade ago.

Thanks Apple.

4140 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Brazil
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
tsafi says

Browser compatibility/ different devices that was always issue for many dev` and it for sure won’t change in the coming years just deal with it .

it’s one of those things three is no work around just more work to do, my mom still use ff3 4 or 5 and i found the majority of users don’t even know there are other browsers you can use or you can upgrade them some time .

I can only advice when making stuff for the web don’t think like a dev` think like a user . Also jack say Luckily it’s 90% iPhone/iPad, and 10% everything else in terms of client demon….well I don’t know where he took this number as the number OS in popularity is android. .

I think for the iPhone/iPad is been dominate by the US market, but the amount of screen resolution you have today on the mobile world with smartphone is insane ,but the majurty still use apps less brows` with mobile

5319 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+5 more
CodingJack says

^ no scientific data, just my own experience.

Has anyone used the iPad 3? I’m really curious how websites look at such a humongous resolution when the actual screen is still relatively small. Is Safari zoomed in by default? Or does Apple expect you to constantly zoom?

5856 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly helped protect Envato Market against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

I can only advice when making stuff for the web don’t think like a dev` think like a user .

Yeah, that’s important attitude to be taken. If we have to frustrate each and every change happens to web browsing, it means we are in hell.

As a marketplace, I think prices should be slightly higher for items that deals with variety of devices.

• United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
+5 more
CodingJack says

As a marketplace, I think prices should be slightly higher for items that deals with variety of devices.

+1 There’s such a premium on this right now we should take advantage of it.

226 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Europe
+2 more
nickys says

I find myself googling for hacks and workarounds to get things working on all browsers and devices, which is a real real pain. As said by Jack, I was using Flash because it was perfect, reliable and it worked. Now we have retina displays which might revive vector graphics, but we had this already a decade ago. Thanks Apple.

I will have a big smile on my face a year from now when more and more people drop support for IE8 . It’s the only browser (from my research) that doesn’t support SVG . And on a retina display it will make all the difference for the users, compared with normal images. SVG is the future in my opinion!

P.S. Aren’t SVG files also really really small?

4140 posts
  • Brazil
  • Exclusive Author
tsafi says

+1.

Let me add also one of the majored reason you don’t see here freaking great/unique or bring new top web master/ design to the envato market is due to killing some categories with low price and for success category they actually lowering the price as time go by .

Like 3docean,font category ($4 for topography it’s a joke ) and I am always amazed by the codecanyon low price, html template ….but this was envato guideline for years and i don’t see it change as look like they happy about their price policy and it’s still a smallcapstock market.

But when i tell people you can get HTML temples here for $12 they take it not so serious and always ask me what’s the catch ? ….

1660 posts
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
+4 more
flashedge says

I will have a big smile on my face a year from now when more and more people drop support for IE8 . It’s the only browser (from my research) that doesn’t support SVG . And on a retina display it will make all the difference for the users, compared with normal images. SVG is the future in my opinion! P.S. Aren’t SVG files also really really small?
SVG are fancy and cool when it comes to plain shapes, but when you’re trying to make pixel perfect icons or sharp graphics it’s not a good choice. Also consider that complex vector takes more time to render than a bitmap.

We already have seen this, it was 1998 where I was salivating at turtleshell.com and decided to learn flash. Nice rewind.

• United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
+5 more
CodingJack says

But when i tell people you can get HTML temples here for $12 they take it not so serious and always ask me what’s the catch ? ….

I think most of it comes down to WordPress. Because if a WP theme is worth $35, then based on that value an HTML template should be $15. Makes sense right? Yes and no. Would html templates still sell at the same rate if they were all priced at $20? My guess is that most people buy HTML templates because they prefer to work with html rather than WordPress, not because they need to save $20. And I doubt $5 would make a difference in their decision.

Now on the other hand, like the old saying goes: if it aint broke, don’t fix it. When I first saw our html template priced at $15, it sort of felt like a shot in the gut. But after seeing that it has a good chance to eventually crack 1,000 sales, which many templates on TF do, the end result is still wildly profitable.

4140 posts
  • Brazil
  • Exclusive Author
tsafi says

P.S. Aren’t SVG files also really really small?
Yes and no, if you know vectors the way they compress SVG is a bit different, also it’s not that great with complicity in my opinion it just add more vectors point on the long run and increases file size the more point vectors you have the larger the file will be, great example is SVG fonts … and in general anything that Microsoft support we try to avoid :P .

But in general most programmers love SVG cos` you can bring it easily in to program syntax world like Python ,js,flash(SVG uses XML ) and you can “Render it dynamic and that is freaking cool .

But back to the topic even IE 8 does not support SVG , SVG text has a bad rendered they contain unhinted font outlines. Because of this, on many implementations there will be limitations regarding the quality and legibility of text in small font sizes.

Bottom line SVG get tones of traction but with no good SVG Web support , or if Apple say hey we don’t want it we have our own thing :P well you know the rest

by
by
by
by
by
by