130 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
deanb says

Hi i just purchased a file that is near perfect for my needs. However it does not have deeplinking which I really require.

I am sure a few days ago I read on the forum somewhere others talking about deeplinking and I think P&K recommended a book or website to learn about it.

Done a search but cannot find the thread, can anyone recommend a good starting point.

75 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
regbolD says

what is deeplinking?

1955 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
Emroni says

Check out this site: http://www.asual.com/swfaddress/

This is a method of using deeplinking, and I think its very easy too. The problem with adding deeplinking to an existing site, is that youll have to rewrite a lot (most of the time though), because the menu needs to work in a totally different way.

If you have a bit of coding knowledge, youll soon see the logic behind it though :)

regbolD, deeplinking is using flash to change the addressbar of your browser. Also, when you change the address yourself, flash recognizes that and changes to the correct page. You can search for items here on FD with deeplinking, so you can see what I mean.

3714 posts Community Moderator
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
  • Located in Netherlands
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+9 more
Joost Moderator says

Thanks for the explaination, Emroni ;) To be honest, I didn’t know what the term ment either :o

1552 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
dSKY says

yes, it fairly complicated to incorporate deeplinking in the existing project.

859 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+5 more
MoeHaydar says

Yes it is but sometimes, according to the available website it is so easy. If from the beginning the website is organized and well written then you can install deeplinking in few minutes. For example, if the menu buttons call a function that calls the right page: callPage(home), callPage(contact).... then u can call this function in onChange function! callPage(swfaddressValue) the values from swf address can be home and contact..

This is why some files are different! This is why some programmers are better that the rest. {result is the same, but the code is different =easy modifications and adjustments: WHAT STOCK FILES ARE ALL ABOUT }

1955 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
Emroni says

SimplyDo, your absolutely right, its all about how the file has been coded. Ive been using the call-function method since Ive started using DeepLinking too, because its very easy to change it into any other function. Every button that links to a certain page, just calls the same function, and that function determines which page to show. If you have that kind of coding, you can just place SWFAddress between the onRelease and page-change-function, et voila!

130 posts
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
deanb says

Cheers for the help, looks like i’m going to be busier than I thought

by
by
by
by
by
by