960 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
jeffeatworld says

I think it would help you if you are sure you specifically wanted to get into web development but my advice would be look more at a generalised course such as Information Technology that maybe has a module on Web Design.

It won’t be as detailed but in the long run you’ll have much more core skills to go out into the workplace with.

A Degree in Web Design/Development is pretty good if you are SURE that’s where you want to go but be careful as the technology changes a lot – at least with IT the general concepts don’t change that much and you understand the underlying tech.

Best of luck bro!

278 posts mekshq.com
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Had an item featured in a magazine
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+5 more
meks says

I think that best way to learn is by yourself.

You have to work on yourself read books try and experiment.

Degree in Web Design/ Web Development won’t ensure that you are good programer/designer.

If you work in some company you will learn a lot and degree is a big plus…

Cheers!

meks

626 posts
  • Has referred more than 5000 members
  • Has sold $2M+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in a magazine
+9 more
Kriesi says

Hey! I did SAE Vienna and it happened to turn out quite good, but I still cant recommend it to everyone.

I didnt have much clue back than about html/css/php or web technologies in general. I got basic knowledge for all of these topics, and thats probably the best thing from SAE , they really offer something to a beginner. if you already know that stuff I really cant recommend it. You pay a lot of money for only a few hours of presentations per week and have to learn most of the stuff on your own anyways.

Of course, you get a degree which might be important for some, it certainly was for me back then, but I came to realize that in our industry a degree is worth next to nothing. the only thing that counts is a good portfolio :)

438 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Located in United States
christopherjon says

A degree can be helpful if you are pursing a job with an agency but even then they are going to make their decision based on your portfolio, not what degrees you have. It’s more or less the same for any creative job. Employers only care about your talent.

I agree with Jeff Adams, if your going to go to school, get a degree in something that is relevant long-term. You can always squeeze in additional design and programming classes. It’s not the sexy choice but it’s the smart one.

Going to school for two years just to learn how to make websites is a waste of time and money in my opinion. Making websites is easy, making good websites takes talent and that’s not something that can be taught.

47 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
JoelBesada says
christopherjon said
Making websites is easy, making good websites takes talent and that’s not something that can be taught.

I disagree. One can certainly be taught the different aspects of what makes a good website or good design in general. Being talented will certainly help in becoming a better designer quicker, but I believe that anyone can learn how to create great websites with enough time and dedication.

That said, if you are looking to get better at web design, getting involved in the web design community will give you a lot more than a degree. Read books and articles, listen to podcasts and constantly try out and experiment with new things. This is how I got started, at the beginning of this year I didn’t know the first thing about design or web development, but I believe I’ve come a long way since then and I’m still improving and learnings new things every day.

1 post
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
GavinAttard says

Hi Everyone

I came across this forum thread recently and just wanted to share a few thoughts.

First of all, all cards on table so there are no bones about it. My name is Gavin and i am the college manager of SAE Institute Oxford.

There are some great comments here and i thought it would be appropriate to chuck in my two cents.

Yup, we do supply a macbook and the cost is part of the course fees. We offer a 2 year practical degree. So when you compare the yearly course costs to similar courses in a standard 3 year degree from other institutions, the course + macbook is really good value for money. (It’s cheaper by around £10K + accommodation costs etc…)

The degree is not just about creating pretty websites (web design), its about creating pretty websites that work, so you are taught how to make good looking (design) and functional websites (development), coding the back end that makes the web what it is today.

I agree with Kriesi, Christo and Joel, the degree itself doesn’t get you the job. When you get it, frame it and put it up somewhere nice and be proud of the achievement and the learning journey you successfully undertook. Just the processes you go through in a degree forms skills that are useful in all things. In terms of jobs, its all about what you can do, so yes portfolio is King.

As with all our courses the ethos is practice, practice, practice. The course is centered around producing websites and back end systems through real world project briefs, so when you finish the degree, you have a portfolio of sites and systems you have created. That is what shows off your skills. The training methods we use involve formal classes, but the real learning takes place on your laptop or on the workstations and using the one-to-one tutor available at the college and milking your lecturers for every last ounce of knowledge they have. Nothing like that kind of support to get you through the proverbial brick walls and guiding hands to nurture and challenge your talent.

Anyhoot, (shameless plug coming up…) if any are interested we are having an open day soon, would be great to meet you and chat more about it. http://oxford.sae.edu/en-gb/campaign/206

Ciao

G

1734 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
VisualSharing says

Hi Gavin,

Thanks for your thorough reply! It is nice to see there are accommodation programs for international students.

I am also a music composer since a few years and I am interested in both web and audio courses, so SAE Oxford starts to sound great to me. :)

Boris

by
by
by
by
by
by