30 posts
  • Austria
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
SiGa says

Dear TF-team, just a question, so I´m able to understand it: Why does TF delete comments pointing out problems of a template? I´d understand if they were rude, but they weren´t at all. Saw other comments like that, and authors saying thanks and re-uploading the item again. No problem at all. We all make mistakes. Just think that the way an author handles a problem (and his customers, when a problem appears) is an information that could help others to decide about buying an item, too. Wrong?

390 posts I <3 WordPress
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Won a Competition
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • United States
+5 more
BoxyStudio says

I’m guessing your talking about the comments you posted on my template’s page. :)

In order for the comments to be removed, the item’s owner has to request them removed. I requested them to be removed because they were pointing out problems with the template that were no longer valid as I had updated the files last night. I really did not want problems being pointed out in the first 4 comments on the page. Kinda ruins the sales, especially when they are untrue after a quick update.

That’s all it was, you weren’t rude! ;)

30 posts
  • Austria
  • Exclusive Author
SiGa says

That´s right and I wouldn´t have mentioned it cause those comments were gone, anyway. Just wanted to know if that is usual business here, I didn´t know about those rules. I´m quiet aware that it´s all about sales. Wouldn´t want to get stuck in the shoes of the team-member that has to decide about satisfying the author or the customer (who´s comments are gone without any explanation) in these cases – must be hard. But I can surely understand your point of view – thanks for your reply!

164 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Won a Competition
tonyc says

Contacting the author directly would be the best option in such case.

30 posts
  • Austria
  • Exclusive Author
SiGa says

Maybe it should be pointed out clearly that comments concerning problems are not welcome in the template section because they ruin the sales?

It just doesn´t match with my opinion that comments can outline informations for others, too, no matter if they´re written by customers or authors. By using only direct contacts, those informations would be kept underneath. For the moment it´s up to you to decide which way to go – comment or direct contact. As well as some authors skip the comments – or keep them.

4893 posts
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Envato Staff
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Attended a Community Meetup
+5 more
MarkBrodhuber Staff says

The comments are there for suggestions, general comments, concerns/questions, pointing out issues, etc. SiGa, you were not wrong to post a comment if a file was not working properly. But if the author has fixed the error you pointed out, and the comment is no longer valid, he/she can ask to have the comment removed.

1561 posts Chris Robinson
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
contempoinc says

I think if you haven’t purchased the template and would like to point out an issue contact the author directly it’s a little more professional.

Now, if you have purchased the template then I think it’s appropriate to leave comments about issues, feedback customization requests, etc…

155 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • France
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
SachaG says

Maybe the author can use those comments as a way to show that he’s quick to fix problems ? This way potential customers know that they can expect good customer service !

We just need some kind of icon or tag that says “fixed !” on the comment reporting the problem, so that people know the issue has been dealt with.

30 posts
  • Austria
  • Exclusive Author
SiGa says

Hm, I would´t hang it up on purchased or not. There are people, also other authors, who will recognize an issue though they just have a look and won´t purchase. But another one can see if it´s a user with experience and consider his/her arguments. And then there are maybe customers who purchased and wouldn´t recognize (and therefor wouldn´t comment) the issue just because they haven´t got enough experience to (immediately) do so. Or, just for example, if I don´t use IE6 (or Opera), I won´t know about issues concerning that browser. But well, I feel there´s a thin border between “pointing out” and “ruin sales”. :-) Thank you, your opinions are all worth thinking – and learning!

30 posts
  • Austria
  • Exclusive Author
SiGa says

@ Koroshiya: That´s a VERY good idea, should be considered! It´s also what I meant talking about how an author handles problems – but you catched it better than me (sorry, my English isn´t perfect)! ;-)

by
by
by
by
by
by