30 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Located in Austria
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
SiGa says

Dear TF-team, just a question, so I´m able to understand it: Why does TF delete comments pointing out problems of a template? I´d understand if they were rude, but they weren´t at all. Saw other comments like that, and authors saying thanks and re-uploading the item again. No problem at all. We all make mistakes. Just think that the way an author handles a problem (and his customers, when a problem appears) is an information that could help others to decide about buying an item, too. Wrong?

398 posts I <3 WordPress
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
+9 more
BoxyStudio says

I’m guessing your talking about the comments you posted on my template’s page. :)

In order for the comments to be removed, the item’s owner has to request them removed. I requested them to be removed because they were pointing out problems with the template that were no longer valid as I had updated the files last night. I really did not want problems being pointed out in the first 4 comments on the page. Kinda ruins the sales, especially when they are untrue after a quick update.

That’s all it was, you weren’t rude! ;)

30 posts
  • Located in Austria
SiGa says

That´s right and I wouldn´t have mentioned it cause those comments were gone, anyway. Just wanted to know if that is usual business here, I didn´t know about those rules. I´m quiet aware that it´s all about sales. Wouldn´t want to get stuck in the shoes of the team-member that has to decide about satisfying the author or the customer (who´s comments are gone without any explanation) in these cases – must be hard. But I can surely understand your point of view – thanks for your reply!

164 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
tonyc says

Contacting the author directly would be the best option in such case.

30 posts
  • Located in Austria
SiGa says

Maybe it should be pointed out clearly that comments concerning problems are not welcome in the template section because they ruin the sales?

It just doesn´t match with my opinion that comments can outline informations for others, too, no matter if they´re written by customers or authors. By using only direct contacts, those informations would be kept underneath. For the moment it´s up to you to decide which way to go – comment or direct contact. As well as some authors skip the comments – or keep them.

4905 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+9 more
MarkBrodhuber Envato team says

The comments are there for suggestions, general comments, concerns/questions, pointing out issues, etc. SiGa, you were not wrong to post a comment if a file was not working properly. But if the author has fixed the error you pointed out, and the comment is no longer valid, he/she can ask to have the comment removed.

1589 posts Chris Robinson
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
contempoinc says

I think if you haven’t purchased the template and would like to point out an issue contact the author directly it’s a little more professional.

Now, if you have purchased the template then I think it’s appropriate to leave comments about issues, feedback customization requests, etc…

156 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
SachaG says

Maybe the author can use those comments as a way to show that he’s quick to fix problems ? This way potential customers know that they can expect good customer service !

We just need some kind of icon or tag that says “fixed !” on the comment reporting the problem, so that people know the issue has been dealt with.

30 posts
  • Located in Austria
SiGa says

Hm, I would´t hang it up on purchased or not. There are people, also other authors, who will recognize an issue though they just have a look and won´t purchase. But another one can see if it´s a user with experience and consider his/her arguments. And then there are maybe customers who purchased and wouldn´t recognize (and therefor wouldn´t comment) the issue just because they haven´t got enough experience to (immediately) do so. Or, just for example, if I don´t use IE6 (or Opera), I won´t know about issues concerning that browser. But well, I feel there´s a thin border between “pointing out” and “ruin sales”. :-) Thank you, your opinions are all worth thinking – and learning!

30 posts
  • Located in Austria
SiGa says

@ Koroshiya: That´s a VERY good idea, should be considered! It´s also what I meant talking about how an author handles problems – but you catched it better than me (sorry, my English isn´t perfect)! ;-)

by
by
by
by
by
by