• Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
AdamGold says

Hi :) I was wondering what do you guys do with your old items which are no longer represents your design / code level? Especially when these items have lots for purchases but a bad rating. I am asking this because as you can see my old items are really design less (I was a really bad designer when I started :D) and one of them has a bad rating (Although I answered every support question that I could). Since them I got better and I am planning on releasing couple of new themes so I wondered.. Does it ruin my name? What would you do?

Thanks Adam

4335 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Community Moderator
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
+6 more
Reaper-Media Volunteer moderator says

I personally had a clear out of my portfolio a while ago, as you probably noticed, for exactly the same reason that you are considering doing the same. My answer to you is this, if a file is getting little or no sales, or the support upkeep is not worth the income, ditch the files ;)

It will be interesting to see other people’s feedback on this :-)

384 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • United Kingdom
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
EugeneO says

I wouldn’t put too much significance on the number of sales an item has done in total as deleting the item will not remove those sales from the sales total shown on your profile or in the Top Author’s list.

Really I think it comes down to a few factors:
  1. Does the file reflect well on you. Are the design and code still good enough?
  2. Is the time spent on support worth the bother?
  3. Is the item still selling?
753 posts
  • Exclusive Author
AdamGold says

I wouldn’t put too much significance on the number of sales an item has done in total as deleting the item will not remove those sales from the sales total shown on your profile or in the Top Author’s list. Really I think it comes down to a few factors:
  1. Does the file reflect well on you. Are the design and code still good enough?
  2. Is the time spent on support worth the bother?
  3. Is the item still selling?
  1. No. And not just that, I wasn’t very aware of the user-friendly thing so my old items are not very user-friendly (although I still provide support)
  2. I really don’t know..
  3. Yes, 3-6 sales per month.

@Reaper-Media – Thanks, but I am not sure if the support is worth the income.. Also, lots of users bought the file and I don’t know if it will be okay to delete it.

425 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Europe
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
readactor says

Also, lots of users bought the file and I don’t know if it will be okay to delete it.

what was happen to me, is that after deleting a theme i got few negative ratings, even the file wasn’t there. Not sure how was possible. Probably few buyers unhappy because the file was removed (what mean never new updates and support).

753 posts
  • Exclusive Author
AdamGold says

What do you think I should do?

3007 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
+2 more
duotive says

Leave it there. We have the same problem with our old theme, it’s bringing our profile down. What you can do is make new better themes and it will bring the profile back to 5 stars. That is what we plan to do, because if you remove the theme, you will still have those ratings saved….And let’s be serious, how many ratings can a theme like our old one and your old one get if they are selling 5 times a month?

753 posts
  • Exclusive Author
AdamGold says

Leave it there. We have the same problem with our old theme, it’s bringing our profile down. What you can do is make new better themes and it will bring the profile back to 5 stars. That is what we plan to do, because if you remove the theme, you will still have those ratings saved….And let’s be serious, how many ratings can a theme like our old one and your old one get if they are selling 5 times a month?

I hear you, but mine is 3 stars and my profile is 4 stars, so I think removing it will be ok, I know the profile rating won’t increase but at least there won’t be a 3 stars item in my portfolio.

3007 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
+2 more
duotive says

I hear you, but mine is 3 stars and my profile is 4 stars, so I think removing it will be ok, I know the profile rating won’t increase but at least there won’t be a 3 stars item in my portfolio.

True.

562 posts You Reap What You Saw
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
Bluz says

That won’t stop stupid clients from giving you bad rating for no reason, I have a 3 star theme which is not my most beautiful theme but in terms of coding it’s on of the best I made and still it has a 3 star rating, and it’s not because of support because I provide great support for my clients.

In my opinion, The real problem is that clients that are happy with your theme – don’t bother rating it, and clients that are unhappy for any reason what so ever, even if it doesn’t have any basis – give you a bad rating.

by
by
by
by
by
by