156 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
SachaG says

A while back I noticed that a lot of the rejected themes posted here included the same mistakes: no grid, weak contrast, poor color choices… so I decided to write a detailed tutorial on how to improve a design according to a few key principles.

The talent level on Themeforest has really gone up dramatically in the past few months, so I don’t know if it will really be that useful here… But in any case here is the first part, I’d love to know what you think:

http://www.themedesigner.net/improving-a-design-step-by-step-part-1/

2715 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Pulled off some great moustache to raise money or awareness for Movember Australia
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Switzerland
+7 more
DanielKeller says

thanks, it is useful, at least for me…. even I use grids, and I would never use such poor color combinations :D

156 posts
+3 more
SachaG says

Well I created a really bad design on purpose, I wouldn’t use those colors… and I hope nobody else does either!

552 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Located in Canada
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
OurWebMedia says

Hello,

I printed this earlier and took it to the hospital with me to read while we waited.

I really enjoyed what you wrote. I did personally learn from this and I am certain others will as well. Thanks for taking the time to post up this information.

2324 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+6 more
CreativeMilk says

nice but dont get me wrong i have seen you post more links to your stuff and selfpromotion is forbidden so whats the deal MOD ’s?

:)

156 posts
+3 more
SachaG says

I’m really glad to know that you were reading my work in such special circumstances! And if you liked it, you will like part 2 even more, because I’ll focus on some more advanced design details.

291 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
+3 more
rtofvnt says

Good stuff.

I need little help – there is a website: http://reviewmydesign.net/ – it’s not mine, so if you remove link, I don’t care – but it seems like its dying …if you see how many people review those designs, you just don’t want to waste your time to upload. Question is – where I can find something like this, that help improve templates ? I’m working at this moment at hosting template but I can’t find anyone who could be honest and tell me – Matt – it is great / rubbish.

Cheers.

156 posts
+3 more
SachaG says

Actually I was thinking about doing something like this for my blog. I would take someone’s template and show them how to improve it. And then hopefully, thanks to those changes it would be approved. I would call it “extreme theme makeover” ;)

So feel free to send me a screenshot or a link to your template if you’d like to be the first!

156 posts
+3 more
SachaG says
by
by
by
by
by