• Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Won a Competition
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • United States
+11 more
theMOLITOR says

Hey Armeani,

Keep at it. I too never had any schooling in this, so it took me longer than others to ramp up my design abilities (and I still have a ways to go). It’s very hard to be the judge of your own work. 5 years ago I remember thinking my stuff was really cool, but if I were to look at it today I would probably puke :sick:

As others have mentioned, the best way to learn (not make $) is to try and emulate (not rip off or copy) designs that you really like. For tracking inspirational sites, I created a gallery site of… well… gallery sites: http://gallerygalleria.com/ (again, I thought this site was awesome when I made it 4 years ago). Pick one and scope out some of the designs there.

Hope that helps!

Chris

31 posts
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
Armeani says

Hello theMOLITOR,

You said it all: “It’s very hard to be the judge of your own work.” But I will not give up and, as you still want to look at my previous projects and “vomit”!

And GalleryGalleria is a good idea, I think I will also build some sites for inspiration in my notebook.

Thanks!

31 posts
Armeani says

More one question: In your opinion where I can improve the template? Shadow, Gradient, what?

253 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
girlscancode says

Shadows and gradients are just details that can be applied to a template to make it look good. What you need is to invest some hours in design theory. Things like design hierarchy, fonts, etc.

I think you can count on the fingers from one hand the guys in here who went to a “big guys” design university :D Most of us are self taught!

Also, it’s no shame to not be a good designer! You can be an awesome coder, those make more money than a designer :)) If this is the case with you, you can pair up with a really good designer and work as a team!

31 posts
Armeani says

girlscancode, your attention to my case was amazing, and I now realize that graphic designer is not only creativity and have knowledge of codes and programs, goes far beyond!

As you said, there’s a whole theory, and I will work and study these matters, but not forgetting to practice.

Again, your attention really helped me, thanks! :)

31 posts
Armeani says

I found some sites that can give me this idea of ??design, fonts and colors.

Know other sites: inspiration, news and new ways to develop?

And, looking over my template, I agree that was not good! Actually stinks, too plain, unscented!

2 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sweden
DennisHultin says

Porticles was good, but not good enough.

When I come here as a buyer I expect the highest quality of work. This is the only reason I come back here, quality.

31 posts
Armeani says

Ok, Thaks everybody!

by
by
by
by
by
by