I would not even get out of the bed for less than $5K per month

421 posts Yes We Can
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
CRIK0VA says

In my practice i was working for 200 dollars per month. It was my first developer job) i was working 2 months and agter find a better company))

284 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
BizLogic says

I can’t even fathom working for $200 per month. What country was that?

821 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+6 more
LCweb says

I would not even get out of the bed for less than $5K per month

Are you a Qatar’s citizen? :D

284 posts
BizLogic says

Are you a Qatar’s citizen? :D
No, I just have almost 20 years experience in IT
228 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Has referred 10+ members
+4 more
GDragoN says

Development rate has nothing to do with the country you live in, if your clients are all around the world. They are paying your experience and knowledge and that has nothing to do with geography. If your clients are mainly local, than you need to adjust your rates to local market or you will loose clients.

Since I have no clients in my country I set my rate to standard rate of $30 to $50 per hour (depending on the work). In general rates in my country are up to $10 per hour for very experienced developers, and usually is about $6 per hour for most.

284 posts
BizLogic says

Development rate has nothing to do with the country you live in…
I disagree. Your rates have to be set at a level that allows you to live unless you have another source of income. This will vary depending on the Cost of Living at wherever you reside.
228 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Has referred 10+ members
+4 more
GDragoN says

Development rate has nothing to do with the country you live in…
I disagree. Your rates have to be set at a level that allows you to live unless you have another source of income. This will vary depending on the Cost of Living at wherever you reside.

So, same work for US client in total of 20 hours, in my country would be valued $200 and if done by developer in UK would be valued $1000, and that is OK by you? If that was the way things are done, development work would be done only by people living in India or China since they can have lowest prices? I had many clients that wasted money on cheap and badly done development work, and most clients are ready to pay more for quality development done quicker. If cost of living would control development prices, developers from Norway or Sweden would never find any work since they would need to set very high prices.

I believe that every developer should decide how much their time is worth, and to stick to their pricing and not undervalue their worth. In the beginning, you should start with lower pricing to build client base, learn and expand and increase prices to reflect all that.

284 posts
BizLogic says

So, same work for US client in total of 20 hours, in my country would be valued $200 and if done by developer in UK would be valued $1000…
Possibly.

...and that is OK by you?
Yes.

If that was the way things are done, development work would be done only by people living in India or China since they can have lowest prices?
That is the way most things are done. Have you not seen Apple’s overseas factories on the news? Have you not seen the label on almost every product? It says ‘Made in <where>’?

When it comes to Software Development most clients prefer suppliers w/ the best track records over the lower costing ones. Also serious businesses normal prefer a supplier that they easily reach or have a face to face conversation with.

If you’re not talking about Software Development, then yes, pretty much everything else is created where it can be done for the lowest price possible.

I had many clients that wasted money on cheap and badly done development work, and most clients are ready to pay more for quality development done quicker.
Yes, if you buy cheap you normally pay twice in the end.

If cost of living would control development prices, developers from Norway or Sweden would never find any work since they would need to set very high prices.
If they want to work & live like a bum on the street that’s not my problem.

I believe that every developer should decide how much their time is worth, and to stick to their pricing and not undervalue their worth. In the beginning, you should start with lower pricing to build client base, learn and expand and increase prices to reflect all that.
Common sense.
421 posts Yes We Can
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
CRIK0VA says

I can’t even fathom working for $200 per month. What country was that?

Moldova, Republic of)

by
by
by
by
by
by