14 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Netherlands
tomdekok says

Purchasing themes, obviously I will go for responsive themes anytime. After all, there is an immense shift going on from desktops to mobile devices. Fortunately most themes are responsive, so enough choice. However, there’s one thing that most of them lack: the integration of retina processing.

When a theme says ‘responsive’, it says ready for mobile devices. With most of these being retina and growing, that should mean the ability to upload at least a regular logo and a retina sized logo. But well, I haven’t come across this option yet. It’s a miss, because there’s nothing more disturbing than a blurry logo. It’s the first thing a visitor sees. Crisp fonts and images, but a blurry logo? Why?

So dear developers, please go and integrate retina logos with your themes. It’s a relatively small thing to do for you and then you can truly boast ‘responsive and retina ready’. Wouldn’t that be neat? :)

Thanks for reading! Tom

2485 posts Premium Scripts, Plugins and Themes
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+6 more
LucidStudios says

Purchasing themes, obviously I will go for responsive themes anytime. After all, there is an immense shift going on from desktops to mobile devices. Fortunately most themes are responsive, so enough choice. However, there’s one thing that most of them lack: the integration of retina processing.

When a theme says ‘responsive’, it says ready for mobile devices. With most of these being retina and growing, that should mean the ability to upload at least a regular logo and a retina sized logo. But well, I haven’t come across this option yet. It’s a miss, because there’s nothing more disturbing than a blurry logo. It’s the first thing a visitor sees. Crisp fonts and images, but a blurry logo? Why?

So dear developers, please go and integrate retina logos with your themes. It’s a relatively small thing to do for you and then you can truly boast ‘responsive and retina ready’. Wouldn’t that be neat? :)

Thanks for reading! Tom

You should try http://www.totorotimes.com/news/retina-display-wordpress-plugin/

14 posts
  • Located in Netherlands
tomdekok says

That is cool stuff! Didn’t know it existed, thanks for letting me know!

Still think it should be integrated in a theme for beginners especially – I am not, but I had enough trouble getting js to work on the logos :)

Thanks again, Tom

595 posts Fuel Your Web
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
+5 more
Pirenko says

When a theme says ‘responsive’, it says ready for mobile devices.
I see and kind of agree with what you say. I just want to add that there’s a separate field on which the author says if the product is retina ready. So, for now, they are treated as independent things.
You might also take a look at this thread: http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/retina-display-ready-attribute/75121
14 posts
  • Located in Netherlands
tomdekok says

Okay, I will, thanks!

625 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
ChapterThemes says

When a theme says ‘responsive’, it says ready for mobile devices.
I see and kind of agree with what you say. I just want to add that there’s a separate field on which the author says if the product is retina ready. So, for now, they are treated as independent things.
You might also take a look at this thread: http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/retina-display-ready-attribute/75121

They should always be treated as different things. Not all mobile devices are retina

3072 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+5 more
wickedpixel says

It’s funny how a smaller screen requires bigger images in order to look fine. Well, at least until retina monitors will become something regular.

14 posts
  • Located in Netherlands
tomdekok says

I am not sure if they are different things in the sense that I am talking about it. Yes, retina ready is not responsive. But when – and since – a theme is created to function on mobile devices and many demos actually provide iPhone and iPad views for the demo, why not a retina logo? It apparently is made for these devices. I do not see the logic in this. Also, many questions in the comments are like “how do I get rid of the blurry logo?”. That by itself shows that this is missing in my opinion.

Also, it doesn’t matter if not all mobile devices are retina, since the @2x version is only used when it is retina. It doesn’t bite non-retina devices, correct? :)

14 posts
  • Located in Netherlands
tomdekok says

It’s funny how a smaller screen requires bigger images in order to look fine. Well, at least until retina monitors will become something regular.

haha agree!

1661 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+9 more
flashedge says

Ironic that we as poor developers are asked to always support everything, while those who make these newfangled devices don’t give a @#$%. Imagine when they come up with a @4x resolution, you’re screwed again. I guess we’ll need to work with vectors somehow to get rid of this issue.

by
by
by
by
by
by