10 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
alisaleh says

Hello Developers,

I just want to raise a Question, what information do you need, to give a good price/timeline estimation ?

If I got an access to your mind and ask: “What Developers Want”. What would be the answer ?

sometimes I need a price and time estimation before I design the website, so I know how much it will cost me, then I charge the client before start designing.

I’m sure you’d understand and help.

Thanks.

Ali

281 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Located in Serbia
scrnjakovic says

You don’t need to access my mind, just send me an email O.o

If I understood you correctly, you charge for design + development, but you hire someone else to do the development, so you need to know how much will you be charged by the developer, so you can charge more to a client? This is bad practice.

If you’re designer, then you should just design and charge as much as you think is enough for time and effort you’ve put into that project.

Asking a dev how much does it cost and how much time will it take, is same as asking an architect how much does it cost to construct a building or asking construction workers how much time do they need to finish your house.

In both cases they require as much details as possible, and the hardest part is estimating how much time will it take, because you’ll always bump into a wall and it will often turn out that finding a solution to your newly problem is more time consuming process than one may assume at first. So as a client, you should keep that in mind and try to be as tolerant as possible :)

So when a client comes to me, I ask him to tell me everything about his project, provide as many details as he can, show me similar projects if exist, are there any deadlines (this has big impact on price, time is money), what is his budget(sometimes I don’t want to loose a client even if he isn’t paying as much as I’d charge, so I balance to make us both happy). UI related preferences mean a lot, they certainly can make a difference.

There isn’t short, simple and determined answer to that, at least not from my perspective, but hope this helps a bit.

10 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
alisaleh says

I totally agree with you.

But I can’t just charge for UI Design. I’m looking for someone to take my PSD and convert it to HTML or WP.

I don’t have a flat rate ! I always ask for details before start quoting. I believe and respect others to do the same. I was just looking for a way to work around this :D

Thanks for your feedback.

by
by
by
by
by
by