112 posts Too Much is Never Enough
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has referred 100+ members
+3 more
premitheme says

... Mainly for WP themes/web templates’ previews, support forum and website/portfolio/blog.

I used “bluehost” before, now using “1and1”, I prefer 1and1, and I think that the problem with bluehost that they are not honest/transparent in their features and offers e.g. you register assuming you will get a specific package of features (as advertised) then after a year you find them disable some of these features.

Some people think that anything under 10$/month is just crap!

So, which one you prefer/use and why?

296 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
crossroad says

One of the worst thing about bluehost is their uptime. Often your website is down and their support is terrible, they just keep telling that it will be up in 10-15 minutes but it takes so long time. Did you face such thing? How’s the uptime of the 1and1?

56 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
bignet says

I am using godaddy hosting for 2 month without any problem.

2457 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
digitalimpact says

Recently switched to DigitalOcean (unmanaged VPS).

I agree there’s lots more work to do than on a shared server (where you have everything at the click of a button), but there’s a huge difference. I have control over every single setting in my environment and when it comes to WordPress, running nginx + Varnish is insanely fast.

There are some downsides, like having to learn Linux, understand and implement security, etc. And setting up a mail server is quite hard, but once you learn it, it all goes smoothly. Not to mention that sys admin skills are a good thing to learn.

Anyway, if you’re looking to setup your own VPS, I totally recommend DigitalOcean. 20GB space, 1 TB traffic, 512 MB RAM for $5/month. Very happy with it.

13 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Romania
mirceasandu says

I’ve been using hostgator for 3 years now but for some time I’ve been looking for something better ( although I am pleased with hostgator ) and I am very happy about digitalocean too, the vps setup is hard at first but you learn a lot of things which are useful in the long run + you can run almost any scripts you want ( like xmpp servers, etc ). I also use zpanel for easy management.

82 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
subwaymatch says

I’ve used a lot of services, but it’s still hard to find a clear answer. I tend to avoid hosting that advertise on TV (like Godaddy, 1and1). It just feels that the costs would flow into fees. Chat support is a must. This has always been the issue with Godaddy when dealing with clients’ accounts. If you’re a “techie”, I don’t think anything would beat AWS or Linode. I use InmotionHosting for low-traffic websites and Linode for all other stuff. 8-)

2457 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
digitalimpact says

I’ve used a lot of services, but it’s still hard to find a clear answer. I tend to avoid hosting that advertise on TV (like Godaddy, 1and1). It just feels that the costs would flow into fees. Chat support is a must. This has always been the issue with Godaddy when dealing with clients’ accounts. If you’re a “techie”, I don’t think anything would beat AWS or Linode. I use InmotionHosting for low-traffic websites and Linode for all other stuff. 8-)

I was initially looking at Linode, then came across DigitalOcean and went with the latter.

I’m curious, besides support, is there something else you would recommend Linode over DO for? The whole discussion I’m seeing on the internet is that Linode has better processors (more cores), but it looks like this only really counts for video encoding/decoding, while DO has the advantage of SSD.

Would better processors justify 4 times the cost for a VPS, if you only use it for a regular WP site with say, no more than a few 10k unique visitors/mo ?

493 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
wopethemes says

I’m using a cheap hosting in hostgator, everything is fine for now. maybe when I have larger traffic , I’ll find a cheap vps.

3567 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
KrownThemes says

@digitalimpact is it hard to configure your Linux server? How much it took you to learn all the stuff?

I’m getting a bit sick to pay $20/month to MT and not have such a good speed at all..

82 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
subwaymatch says

I was initially looking at Linode, then came across DigitalOcean and went with the latter.

I’m curious, besides support, is there something else you would recommend Linode over DO for? The whole discussion I’m seeing on the internet is that Linode has better processors (more cores), but it looks like this only really counts for video encoding/decoding, while DO has the advantage of SSD.

Would better processors justify 4 times the cost for a VPS, if you only use it for a regular WP site with say, no more than a few 10k unique visitors/mo ?

Honestly, I wouldn’t know because I haven’t tried Digital Ocean. Generally, people seem to recommend whatever they use when they “didn’t have any problem for x months”, so I just search for negative reviews instead. For Linode, I just didn’t find any negative reviews (or barely any) that raised a red flag. Digital Ocean seems to offer a pretty attractive option though. Back when I was choosing, DO didn’t exist. 8-)

by
by
by
by
by
by