675 posts
    Has referred 500+ members Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Joined us in one of our Envato Live Events
+11 more
cudazi Envato team says

A question for all you wordpress developers, how much more time on average do you spend on developing your WP themes than just static HTML themes?

Just curious – Thanks!

burningstonecold
burningstonecold Recent Posts Threads Started
143 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Located in Australia Has sold $1+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
burningstonecold says

Well, It’d be an extra couple of hours. Between 3-4 for something basic yet functional in WP (Incl. Widget Sidebars, etc). But i’ll theme from scratch usually.

But if i did do it more often i’d probably knock it down to 1-2 maybe.

2952 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has referred 200+ members Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+10 more
DDStudios says

how much you charge /hours ? :P

2529 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has referred 10+ members Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market Interviewed on an Envato blog
+11 more
JeffreyWay says

Once you’ve worked with WordPress for a while, you’ll find that it doesn’t require too much work. Typically, you’ll have your own template that you can copy and paste from.

Maybe an extra few hours of work. Really…it all depends on the project. For a simple five page template, not too much longer.

623 posts
    Has referred more than 5000 members Has sold $2M+ on Envato Market Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market Had an item featured in a magazine
+9 more
Kriesi says

Well, for me its usually more then just a few ours. I always create a wordpress options page to make customization easier. Along with styles for all widgets, extra functions and goodies like style switcher, breadcrumbs and that like it always sums up…

As jeffrey said, I guess it really depends if you just want to convert a 5page template or create additional complex functions…

352 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years Has referred 50+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+6 more
danharper says

About a couple of hours, or even only half an hour for basic sites. For the most part, you can re-use WP files from other projects; and I’ve learnt a lot of tricks to get WP to do what I want, so it’s really as simple as swapping around a bit of code.

164 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years Has referred 10+ members Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
tonyc says

I recently made my own “Blank theme” which has most of my regularly used features in a theme (custom widgets, theme options etc.) but haven’t had the chance to test if it will speed up my development time. Up until now it took me about 5-6 days to get everything perfect. With this new framework of my own I hope it goes down to 2-3 days.

675 posts
    Has referred 500+ members Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Joined us in one of our Envato Live Events
+11 more
cudazi Envato team says

Thanks for the replies, I just need to find a good bare bones 2.7 theme to get going. :)

1589 posts Chris Robinson
    Has referred 500+ members Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+10 more
contempoinc says

I always first code out a full static XHTML version of the template, then as Jeffrey said as well, I copy paste the different pieces into the WP template files. I find it much easier and faster to develop sites like this.

So I guess to answer your question like everyone else said it depends on the complexity a basic WP conversion can take an hour or two, but something with a custom admin panel, multiple page or post templates and sidebars etc…can take quite a bit more time.

Just curious how many of you guys code out a static version first then copy paste the elements into the WP templates vs. directly coding the site within the WP templates?

156 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has referred 50+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
SachaG says

It takes me a lot longer, but probably because I always forget to style some small details in my html template and have to do it in the wordpress theme.

For my next wordpress theme I’ll probably use a theme framework, like:

http://themehybrid.com/archives/2008/11/hybrid-wordpress-theme-framework

or

http://themeshaper.com/thematic-for-wordpress/

Anybody used them before ?

by
by
by
by
by
by