4247 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+5 more
Aw_Shucks says

Hello everyone,

Seeing as the obviousness of the facts are made apparently available for calculation, I’ve made it my prerogative to bring them into the open, for good cause of course. I noticed the little facts that appear on the right side of my author panel that displays information about earnings, commission rates, and things that are measured with a record of time related to sales and uploads.

Starting with one fact: I have sold roughly $30,000+ worth of items. Envato took about $16,000+ of that total amount. Now, there are 478 authors ranked above me who have sold $30,000 and more. A simple calculation:

479 * $16,000 = $7,664,000

That is the estimated amount of money envato has earned by calculating the number of authors ahead of me, including myself, at the minimum of the $16,000 which envato receives as their share from total author’s sales. Given that $16,000 is the rough estimate for the amount of money that was syphoned from my total earnings, and there are 478 others across all marketplaces, this is how I’ve come up with the minimum that envato has earned from us authors.

Now given that there are several, or rather, many authors who’ve handed over $100,000 or more of their earnings to envato, it is clear that envato has made well over $12,000,000. And that is a low estimate given by generous observations.

But my point in making this post was to bring to the attention how envato is so willing to earn from their members, yet they are without clear reason as to why they will not let us receive our payouts the moment we request a payout. On top of that, they seem to be proudly charging everyone fees for either purchasing, or for selling. And it is clear that the ones who make the biggest and most sacrifices are the authors who sell their products through the services envato provides. And while they do a good job to capitalize on charging for providing their services, they see it fit to withhold our earnings for an entire month.

My proposal is that all members should be aware that envato has come to the point that they should be able to afford developing a system that allows all authors to withdraw an amount of money when authors request a payout. That is to say that when the moment the payout is requested, the payment should be processed to that author’s external account/s. I mean, come on! Do you really need to manually send out payouts? It is obvious that when you do it manually you are only biding your time. Because if you were to develop an automatic system allowing payouts at request, it should perform the same actions and procedures the same, if not better and more efficiently, than by doing it manually. I say $12,000,000+ would mean you have the resources and room for such a thing to be developed. Do it for the sake of your authors.

And what is the point of having a minimum withdrawl amount? Seriously, we authors have to wait until $50 ( for paypal ) or $500 ( for SWIFT ) has been earned. But why? The money isn’t credited to envato in any way. It is already in the author’s account. Therefore, since envato shouldn’t be allowed to take an account for an author’s earnings, there should be no minimum limit for requesting a payout, given that the amount requested is above $0.00 and has been earned by the author, of course. Fees, fees, and more fees. Profit at the expense of those who sacrifice their time, patience, and tolerance of your rules which only allow you to profit from those virtues and resources, resources you did nothing to create, but only to provide a service.

Here’s a good example. The birthday bundle. Not one file was included in the birthday bundle that was made by any envato staff member who did not already profit from the bundle at the expense of other authors who’s files were included. Only that envato can benefit from the birthday bundle, yet without any of the files being their own, with the exception of the authors chosen to be included in the share. Now that’s taking advantage of your authors, no way can it be seen that you are not taking advantage of them. So, do you really think it is too hard to give back to the community with a response approving the suggestion to make it possible to let authors withdraw their earnings at any given time? I believe you can afford it, and can do it.

Lock this, and I’ll exercise my freedom to speech and liberty to exercise my rights. Your company has become abusive to its subjects. Even while you are not acknowledging it.

// Aw_Shucks—

4140 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Brazil
+3 more
tsafi says

^Your point is logic, but think of this we all know what we/you sing in for with the Envato market, fact is and i can say as someone who know the freelance world well, 80% from all designers ,dev` and the rest of the Envato market freelancer, 5 years ago we will only dream on such an option in the freelance world to market our work and make money + the connection we all make .(for my perspective i found people here with crazy skills that can work for me or collaborate with me is priceless as a freelancer ) ,so ok they make money on your back nothing new + I want to see how you will be able to sell $30,000 without them in the real world with all the crazy competition (no dis respect and you are just one man ).

Thing is you really don’t have a strong or alternative way today as to the Envato market as a freelance in such a global scale (this is my opinion) ,so i look at this in a different point view, anything you get here as extra (for example when the rate went up ) is fine . And if I don’t like it… it’s not like collis put a gun on my head and force me to be a part of his tribe.

So ok you are not happy about withdrawal but who is ? or i can say and think of this from Envato perspective if they pay instantly how they are going to manage the dollar rate fee as a company for them on each instant payment, also as a company they need to roll their money, not logic that the total payment withdrawal tomorrow will be 1 million just saying and the next day will be half mil `, or i can say… show me a model like this that pay instantly, but i am sure you don’t care about that :P .

If you ask me just submit more files or start working your way as a shifter (but be a good shifter not like p&k), that`s what many do this day`s so me and Pez ` will be the last dev` here ……

4247 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+5 more
Aw_Shucks says

This explanation is for those who completely miss the point. I already understand that envato provides a service. I already understand that completely. And I don’t see why they can’t make it possible for those they profit from to withdraw when they need it most. An author’s earnings doesn’t come from envato’s pocket. So there is no harm in allowing an author to withdraw his/her own earnings. Envato already separates the difference in shares the moment a purchase is made. The author gets his/her commissions, and envato strips the rest. Why should I have to wait an entire month? Let alone get it 15 days later than when I truly need it most out of the month? It is something they can afford by now. This has nothing to do with a lack of appreciation. Rather it has to do with the acknowledgement of necessity, which was considered before to be something not worth the price of labor. Seeing the facts now, that excuse should no longer prove worthy of argument.

In fact, it would even be better to have payouts set at 2 times a month. It’s what most businesses do, if they aren’t paying their employees 3 to 4 times a month. And any company who sets their payments at 2 times a month are considerate of the necessity for their employees to have access to their earnings, due to their emplyees’ necessity to have payment for their bills and finances on the 1st of the month. The fact that envato, ( yes not a legally established ‘employer’ to authors ), processes payouts only 1 time a month is a great inconvenience to those who need to pay their bills on the 1st. We can’t always tell our billers that they have to wait up to 17 days to pay our bills. And it isn’t a practical argument to say that no one should rely on envato to make a living off of, when they themselves have released statements that support the idea of making a living off them. So, please keep your opinions to yourself. My arguments are due well without the placement of opinion. This is the reason they only include facts or arguably accurate statements about which are based on facts.

And another thing that crossed my mind. During their processing of payouts, envato should have no more access of an author’s information than 6 main things.
  • Author’s Member Name
  • Amount Author Is Requesting A Payout For
  • Date of Payout Request ( including Time if need specifying )
  • Email Address of Author Who Requests The Payout ( and any additional personal information required to complete the transfer )
  • Whereabouts for the payout to be transferred to
  • Payout Type

• If these things are confirmed manually, why can’t it be easy enough to have these things confirmed by an automatic system? All that would be needed from the author is a series of steps that confirm his or her identity for it to be approved. Go on, make your arguments. Paypal is a great example of such a system’s effectiveness. It can be done. To what extent should be carefully considered before anyone who has the means to complete it.
    by
    by
    by
    by
    by
    by