306 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • United States
DigitalRicky says

I wonder that too There should be a “designer-pass” to skip the useless information in school and jump right into the important stuff :p

I’m in high school atm, I get homeschooled mainly to work less hours and have no homework (although its kinda all homework) I do about 3-4 hours of school each day, then jump on the computer and practice, practice and practice

I’m also hoping, planning and praying to go to Vancouver Film School, main reason because there it is 1 or 2 years of college, none of those first two years of math, history, and blah blah blah… Oh did I mention Vancouver is a very beautiful place?

Although that is about 2-3 years from now, and who knows… with tough work I can already teach myself everything they teach in VFS , and skip those dumb History Of Animation classes ;D

If you are too lazy to self-teach yourself, AND get a diploma… You can always buy and island from gambled money, and make your own country :P

1685 posts Time is what you desire most, but waste carelessly.
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Europe
+1 more
Firsh says
I’m also hoping, planning and praying to go to Vancouver Film School, main reason because there it is 1 or 2 years of college, none of those first two years of math, history, and blah blah blah… Oh did I mention Vancouver is a very beautiful place.

VFS is the Harvard of VFX :) When I went to the maya course which cost ~$2.5k I told myself hey I could learn all this from video tutorials. Then I realized that’s not entirely true. I learnt tricks that I could search for days now and still wouldn’t have a clue of what is wrong. And at least I got some good connections, the feeling, the certificate. It was worth it for me.

Dreaming is not enough to get into VFS on any big school. If you plan on paying for the full tuition by yourself you’d have to work hard to get the money – or be rich by default :D. I wonder if there is a financial aid for international students. In my country you can go to a universtity for free is you are just a little bit smart. Not sure about international students…

348 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • India
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Shaan_007 says

i did joined one of the institute to learn flash And the teacher taught me only stop() and gotoAndPlay() in scripts and some motion tweening in animation and atlast he said “you wont be able to make anything from flash only, for a good project you will have to learn PS AI AE and blah blah blah” :D “for that join my other classes” :D

217 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
CreativeStable says

I live in Victoria so Im very close to Vancouver :) I have a lot of friends in Vancouver Film School and they LOVE it. Friends that have graduated have a very cool skillset but I am not sure how they are doing in terms of work.

I have a diploma in Multimedia Production and Design. It was a 2-year program at Selkirk College. I thought it was a GREAT program… I learned a ton in everything from web development to 3d animation to business and communications. They also have small class sizes and the tuition is quite reasonable. Selkirk College has a few campuses but the one I went to was in beautiful Nelson BC :) Highly recommended.

http://selkirk.ca/programs/dmm/danm/details/

I also went to Victoria School of Business and Technology for a web design certification and web development diploma but I do not recommend that place… haha you can msg me if you want details.

I don’t think that a piece of paper will help you get a job really, but I learned a lot in school that I never would have if I was on my own… so in that sense it has definitely helped me get work. I work fulltime as a web developer at a very nice agency in victoria now.

4247 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
Aw_Shucks says

If I had gotten a diploma, I would have also bought a mat. Then I coulda set my diploma on my mat, and I would have gone down in history as some cool person with the title of, “diplomat”. Yeah. And I could have started on with my diplomatic regime. And stuff.

306 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • United States
DigitalRicky says
I’m also hoping, planning and praying to go to Vancouver Film School, main reason because there it is 1 or 2 years of college, none of those first two years of math, history, and blah blah blah… Oh did I mention Vancouver is a very beautiful place.
Dreaming is not enough to get into VFS on any big school. If you plan on paying for the full tuition by yourself you’d have to work hard to get the money – or be rich by default :D. I wonder if there is a financial aid for international students. In my country you can go to a universtity for free is you are just a little bit smart. Not sure about international students…

The only financial aid aka the scholarship is only allowed for Canadian students :( I’d seriously rob the US treasury to go there

And thanks for the link CreativeStable, I looked around the site and it looks pretty good Its always good to have a backup plan huh :)

553 posts Fuel Your Web
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Europe
Pirenko says

Like in most of the jobs you don’t really need any diploma. I have 2 diplomas and none of them has to do with flash. I took some lessons related to webdesign, I’m a Macromedia Certified developer, but most of my work comes from experimentation.
It’s great to study, but without talent and a lot of work the diploma won’t take you anywhere.

by
by
by
by
by
by