• Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Philippines
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
bfintal says

Unfortunately, I really am out of ideas now regarding all these rejections.

You can see the theme here: http://themes.armyknife.gambit.ph/

I’ve previously asked in the forums as well as other feedback sites and have implemented the feedback of people, but still rejected. I’m afraid I really need replies and suggestions now.

I got this rejection message:

This File Did Not Meet Our Criteria

We would like to thank you for your submission but are, unfortunately, unable to approve it at this time as it does not meet our current quality requirements. Please continue reading as we’ve explained why we’ve declined your submission.

=== Why We’ve Declined Your Submission ===

I’m sorry but your latest review messages stands. There’s no significant improvements and changes you’re only making small changes. Right now your theme does not provide the necessary design quality to compete in the marketplace.

I also submitted a ticket asking for clarification, but the best reply that I got was:

the result and the execution are the two main consideration
1975 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Canada
mafloral says

Hey

Actually i like the theme, what did the reviewer say exactly?

Cheers

Lester

82 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
GJThemes says

You got 4 rejections on this one theme? I’d be curious what the reviewer first said as well because it would be interesting to see what they see. It’s definitely a “very” clean minimalist design concept you have in all 4 versions, but for me personally, your darker versions are too plain. The search field and breadcrumbs where they are almost look like they don’t belong in that area of the header…in other words, I would keep your navigation and logo in their own area and not blend it together with the other elements. I actually like your lighter versions better because for minimal designs, it’s best to use light colours. I would definitely suggest different bullet list styles because on at least a couple of the versions, they almost blend too much into the background colours. I would also change your heading typography to sans serif type fonts on your Charcoal demo like you have on your other ones (they look a ton better). You blog layout needs more margin space between posts and the sidebars. Your pagination needs a little more style too.

I like your Professional demo one the best of the 4 though, but I am thinking your images need something more, a bit more style (not too much though).

There’s a few things to rethink about the designs, but overall, the darker ones don’t work too well for me but the lighter ones are better with the Professional demo being my favourite of the 4. But I think it’s just a case of reorganizing where some elements are placed in the pages, header, footer, etc., and adding just a little more style to typography, image thumbnails…again, not too much more, but just that little extra enhancement.

Now, here is something to consider that if this theme is not approved on themeforest, you have a couple options: (1) offer it free on your website and promote it (there’s a benefit to this, called traffic), and then (2), sell it on your own website. Either option will at least give you more traffic and possible sales while you start to work on another theme.

Also consider this….you are already in Theme Forest with a couple successful themes, the Curvo (which I think is very cool) and the Amplus, so that is a good thing. Don’t give up because from what I can tell, even the top authors don’t get every theme in this site. And if this theme has had 4 rejections, then it’s time to move on to a new one.

340 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Philippines
bfintal says

The first rejection message I got was:

This File Did Not Meet Our Criteria

We would like to thank you for your submission but are, unfortunately, unable to approve it at this time as it does not meet our current quality requirements. Please continue reading as we’ve explained why we’ve declined your submission.

=== Why We’ve Declined Your Submission ===

Your template does not provide the necessary design quality to compete in the marketplace at this time and it will need significant improvements before it’ll be ready for review again. As higher quality designs become available in the marketplace, approval requirements will increase to maintain appropriate marketplace quality.

The 2nd and 3rd rejections were almost the same message. Support also got back to me saying that two of the reasons are that the theme looks generic and empty. :( They also told me that I need to make significant changes to the theme. This is really getting frustrating, since I can’t get the theme accepted but every time I ask for suggestions and feedback, I mostly get people commenting that they like it :confused:

Let me see what I can do regarding the main page header and searchbar. Maybe I should redesign that area.

Alright, let me change the fonts on the charcoal demo.

For the images, I was actually thinking of removing the small icons on the top left corner. Then maybe add a small border that moves away on mouse hover.

If I remember correctly, Amplus had way more many rejections before getting accepted.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I need more though!

82 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
GJThemes says

Unfortunately their form letters of rejection is too broad in reason and don’t say specifics, but at least their support got back with reasons, so that is a start.

But as I said, if you are getting this many rejections, you can either keep at it or move on to a new design. You mentioned that your Amplus had a lot more rejections, but then it got accepted, so that could mean this one of yours might go through the same process.

I think what makes it a bit harder is that you have 4 different versions of the same theme to choose, but perhaps choose one, make that the demo, but still provide the options to the buyer afterwards. Focus on the foundation design that is going to exist through each concept to maintain consistency across each version, but still allow the user to set their own options for select elements and colours, etc.

One thing that I do now with my themes is to sit back at different distances from the screen and look at the theme in the browser for a minute or two. If anything makes you think, then you know it needs changing. It’s the attention to detail that I believe the reviewer is going to be looking for. If one makes a theme based on another at themeforest, the trick is, how can you make it different, what would you do to make it more unique…

I think I will write an article on my site about this kind of thing :)

340 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Philippines
bfintal says

I changed the fonts and added a frame on the images which has a nifty hover effect: http://themes.armyknife.gambit.ph/minimal/

by
by
by
by
by
by