• Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+5 more
Parallelus says

I’m not one for “blogging” and as such I don’t have my own site to editorialize as an outlet for my frustrations, but I need to vent this to someone. I’m very disappointed right now with BuddyPress.

I have not worked with BuddyPress much, but I’m adding it to one of my themes currently. From the very beginning I did not like the way it structured content. The main areas of the public site “Activities, Members, Groups, etc.” are ok, but the presentation of the content of those areas is confusing for viewers and seems to have a lot of duplication.

Every single entry is trying to give too much detail and in a way that feels like someone’s stream of thought. It’s hard to read and makes me want to leave the site. Even the BuddyPress site itself is difficult to read the forums because it follows these same content structures and my eye is fighting to find the real content on every post.

Beyond this presentation issue, I am amazed at how poorly documented it is. I have been constantly digging through the source code to find the functions that produce content because I want to make the display actually look good. Even more unbelievable is how many areas of the content layout are pre-determined by a function in the core without formatting parameters built in. I occasionally can add a filter or other method to change them, but often find myself writing a regular expressions to modify the output because even with filters the formatting has been saved to the DATABASE ! Who stores style and presentation information in the database!!!

Wow, no wonder BuddyPress isn’t more widely used. It’s extremely difficult to modify and customize without dipping into the core and making changes. Maybe after I finish this I’ll start my own fork of the BuddyPress project called “BetterBuddy” because I’m really unhappy with it.

3196 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Exclusive Author
organicbee says

I am amazed at how poorly documented it is. It’s extremely difficult to modify and customize without dipping into the core and making changes.

top two reasons IMO why Open-Source Platforms fail

229 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • United States
Pressateers says

I am amazed at how poorly documented it is. It’s extremely difficult to modify and customize without dipping into the core and making changes.
top two reasons IMO why Open-Source Platforms fail

Open Source is great, it’s just that the guy who made BuddyPress didn’t have developers in mind.

Hell, a plugin I paid for has terrible documentation – Cart66, that is. I guess they didn’t consider that someone (most likely a lot of people!) would want to display the “Cart66 users” name, or even username. And Cart66 should just extend the original WP User system, but that’s for another time.

356 posts
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Beta Tester
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
FutureSight says

Sorry for ya Parallelus, at least is not only you who got problems with development or software.

It is good that you are sharing this experience, probably you’ve save that way stress for few people.

1 post
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
ddarby14 says

I”m looking for a unique BP template (miserable results) and I am intrigued/inspired by your Mingle style. Is this by chance the one you’re adding BP integration to?

I share with you the frustration and hangup of BP – seems so close, yet so far in many ways.

Not sure how close you are to completion, but if I can help in any way, let me know.

1025 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Exclusive Author
+5 more
Parallelus says

I”m looking for a unique BP template (miserable results) and I am intrigued/inspired by your Mingle style. Is this by chance the one you’re adding BP integration to?

I share with you the frustration and hangup of BP – seems so close, yet so far in many ways.

Not sure how close you are to completion, but if I can help in any way, let me know.

Yes, Mingle is the one I’m adding BuddyPress to currently. I’m about a week (maybe 2) away from being totally done. If you’re interested in helping I’m looking for beta testers to start using it at the end of next week. Send me an email (click my avatar and use the form) and I’ll get in contact with you next week.

Thanks.

1 post
21applications says

You’ve hit the nail on the head re: functions / database embedding presentation – we’ve constantly had to battle this problem with the API in our BuddyPress development projects.

I remain amazed that WordPress haven’t taken charge, and re-factored the BuddyPress API to behave ‘correctly’.

Even more unbelievable is how many areas of the content layout are pre-determined by a function in the core without formatting parameters built in. I occasionally can add a filter or other method to change them, but often find myself writing a regular expressions to modify the output because even with filters the formatting has been saved to the DATABASE ! Who stores style and presentation information in the database!!!
1025 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Exclusive Author
+5 more
Parallelus says
21inspired said
You’ve hit the nail on the head re: functions / database embedding presentation – we’ve constantly had to battle this problem with the API in our BuddyPress development projects.

I remain amazed that WordPress haven’t taken charge, and re-factored the BuddyPress API to behave ‘correctly’.

Yeah, I actually think I’m over the hump on the majority of these issues. I’ve built my own functions to extend or modify the content as needed.

The more painful additions I built use regular expressions to find and replace HTML coded directly into the core. It’s not any fun, but it gives me the control I needed to style the content without core changes.

I’m doing beta testing now. If you’re interested I can send you a copy for testing. Just email me an let me know.

1 post
  • Exclusive Author
  • Italy
Iuppiter says

Excuse me, but i’m trying to add buddypess to mingle theme, and i find this post, because i can’t make it works! Can you help me? Sending me the code that i have to add to the pages? Thanks for the support ;)

3424 posts
  • Football Contest Participant/Runner-up
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Community Moderator
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
+5 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says
Iuppiter said
Excuse me, but i’m trying to add buddypess to mingle theme, and i find this post, because i can’t make it works! Can you help me? Sending me the code that i have to add to the pages? Thanks for the support ;)

You’ll need to contact the author directly to get support, especially since you don’t have a buyer’s badge. Make sure you use the account you used to purchase the item.

by
by
by
by
by
by