• Elite Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+3 more
Pricop says

[...] You can’t just soft-disable people’s items and send them an e-mail AFTER you disable it. Do you even imagine what means to an author to soft-disable one of his best-selling item? We pay our bills from the [...]

I had a similar issue last year, and this was one of my main complains about Envato. My software was compeltely removed from the marketplace due to a DMCA being sent, with no prealable notification (I got one that my item was removed, after it was actually removed), luckly the DMCA complain has been retrieved (it wasn’t even founded), also the Community noticed the wrong action being taken on my software and they supported me on the Forums.

The fact that an item can be removed for 14 days just because they receive a DMCA without asking the Author about the situation is absurd if you ask me, you lose half a month of earnings, whether the DMCA complain is valid or not.

2145 posts aspire to create - create to inspire
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Beta Tester
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Germany
+3 more
Creattive says

[...] You can’t just soft-disable people’s items and send them an e-mail AFTER you disable it. Do you even imagine what means to an author to soft-disable one of his best-selling item? We pay our bills from the [...]

I had a similar issue last year, and this was one of my main complains about Envato. My software was compeltely removed from the marketplace due to a DMCA being sent, with no prealable notification (I got one that my item was removed, after it was actually removed), luckly the DMCA complain has been retrieved (it wasn’t even founded), also the Community noticed the wrong action being taken on my software and they supported me on the Forums.

The fact that an item can be removed for 14 days just because they receive a DMCA without asking the Author about the situation is absurd if you ask me, you lose half a month of earnings, whether the DMCA complain is valid or not.

if it really was a DMCA, envato must take it down unless you file a counter dmca. That is – afaik – the law in australia.

497 posts uouapps
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Jordan
uouapps says

We certainly don’t want to come across like we’re trying to be dictators on the forums :) As mentioned previously, and by others in this thread, there are many good reasons why we may decide to lock a thread.
Hi Travis, you guys are friendly and quite proactive when it comes to communicating with the authors but I personally feel like Envato rarely takes responsibility for a mistake, this thread below was locked in a sort of dictatorial way, every single person who commented on this thread agreed that it was an unfair action:
http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/envato-your-softdisable-action-is-unprofessional/129427

so you guys are passively affecting your reputation and the accumulation of all this annoying incidents can make us lose faith in this marketplace

117 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Serbia
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
NenadVFX says

This sums it up ;)
if ($item_in_top5_weekly_top_sellers) {
   return $warning;
else {
   return $soft_disable;
}

no, all items should be equal :)

I meant that is how it currently is. I agree all items should be treated equally.

No that wasn’t the only point here (that hurts me because from 10+ sales per day I came to zero! Which means hundreds of dollars lost)... I posted that because my file had only 5 stars ratings and only positive and great feedback from customers… and it was taken down because of Quality Review Check pending…

1148 posts
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
fillerspace says

Thanks for the staff reply Christian. I’m still a little unclear about the process. I understand that after a customer complaint, a reviewer will do a thorough QA and then the item will be soft-disabled if warranted. Do you actually contact the author at any point during that process? If not, that could be the problem. A customer complains on May 1st. The reviewer completes the QA process on May 15th, and the item is soft disabled. Had you contacted the author on May 1st to notify him that a complaint was received and the QA process would begin, he might be able to identify and fix the bug faster than the reviewer could verify it. He could then update the item, and the soft-disable would not be necessary.

117 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Serbia
NenadVFX says

I’m always more than glad to help my customers sometimes even if the questions are way beyond simple project editing… So disabling good rated and great selling item for “maybe possible quality reasons” before even contacting about that is just not fair.. I’ve got yesterday message from support that they will contact me shortly… and today I’ve got answer that that will be in next 1-2 days… before holiday and weekend when support is not available. So what to say?

By the way here’s ref number 558833 … which I received by support

and today I’ve opened support ticked #SGU-669-83779

So if somebody from staff can take a look at them to explain me what’s going so that I can fix it if something is wrong with it… I’ll really appreciate that.

Best regards, Nenad

4188 posts Community Mod Building awesome stuff for your mobile devices!
  • Community Moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Repeatedly helped protect Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Won a Competition
+9 more
Enabled Volunteer moderator says

This topic is meant for discussion and not for flaming, there’s no reason to lock it up. We just want to discuss.

I didn’t have any problem at all in the past weeks, support has been great, however, I see lots of threads being covered up around here. And I really means lots of them.

What happened to the transparent way of doing business? You think that by covering up and locking every topic with problems you’ll get people’s trust? I’m not sure if Envato staff is aware of this post https://medium.com/p/3a2af69cf977 but I can only guess that it won’t be long since we’ll see something like this for Envato. Honestly, this is just bad way of doing business.

If me, that have been around for 2 years now, having lots of items, start to lose credibility in Envato even though I didn’t have any problem, just imagine how the others will feel. You can’t just soft-disable people’s items and send them an e-mail AFTER you disable it. Do you even imagine what means to an author to soft-disable one of his best-selling item? We pay our bills from the earnings, we deserve at least a warning.

And even if you’d do the things the same, most of us fix the issues within..minutes of seeing it. However, reviewing that file again can take more than 1 day. Imagine what it means to have one item down for 1-2 days.

Try to FIX the problems, not to cover them up. You’re locking everything up, my trust in Envato is nearly zero right now and I guess this happens for lots of other authors. I can only hope I won’t have such problems.

So, what do you guys think? Also, please, let’s keep it calm here so they won’t lock this one up as well.

Again: This topic is meant for discussion and not for flaming, there’s no reason to lock it up. It’s not about any ticket or anything to fix.

Mate, my answer to this matter is soley as an author, as you’ve helped me around many times in the past, I only see it fair to do the same. Envato, from my opinion as an author, not as a representative of Envato isn’t trying to cover up anything. Soft disabling items, is a legal matter, and infringements, errors and what not can cause a hassle for Envato. At the end of the day, picture yourself having a company, with the number of authors Envato has, and items that have simple errors or in graver cases, files that infringe copyrights. I truly beleive this procedure is made in such fashion that a substandard item will be soft disabled, and in case the item is okay, it will be reinstated. The ammount of staff, necessary, to simply investigate items over and over and over and over before proceeding to soft disable, would be huge. This method is far more effective.

And furthermore, if a blunt copy of an item appears on the frontpage, I am pretty sure you would agree with me, that an INSTANT soft/hard-disable without any comments would be great, untill further notices or changes are brought to that item.

No offence intended bud, just trying to look at things from another perspective!

PS: I’m a member here for more than 5 years now, and that’s just my opinion, my opinion does not reflect Envato’s opinion and is NOT an official statement by Envato.

7282 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Beta Tester
+1 more
doru says

if it really was a DMCA, envato must take it down unless you file a counter dmca. That is – afaik – the law in australia.

Not sure DMCA applies to australia. is an US law. envato need to bother about DMCA because they operates in US, that is true.

But if you check Pricop post, his issue is that the DMCA was not genuine, something that envato should had checked before removing the item.

Is not that for every DMCA request one needs to remove an item. It needs to be genuine else is void.

7282 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Beta Tester
+1 more
doru says

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to chime in regarding the Soft Disablement of Themes and other items, as clearly this has pushed some buttons and there’s a consensus forming that’s not entirely correct.

..... Happy to clarify anything.

- Christian

thank you for the answer.

for the copyright and author request there isn’t even a debate.

but the explanation why you don’t contact author first for bug only reasons is weak.

first you say that if the item is broken or not work as advertised you need to issue a refund. That is correct but doesn’t have any connection with contacting the author.

Before you issue a refund you will need to investigate the complain from the buyer. Is in the legal agreement terms but I will not lose time to find the particular paragraph. The investigation part should have “contacting the author” step and collaborate with him. There is no legal rule that force disable first ask later upon you.

You say that you don’t contact authors because they take too long 3 -5 days many don’t work on weekends or they don’t even answer.

Those that don’t answer are a special case but really 3 to 5 days and no weekends sound a good case when one contacts envato support. How can you ask us to answer faster than envato support?

But one day or ten is not an excuse to not contact the authors at all if as you said they usually answer in 24 hours.

Collaborate with those that you can collaborate, why punish them?

229 posts Envato Market Support
  • Envato Staff
  • Support Staff
  • United Kingdom
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Attended a Community Meetup
+1 more
MhW Staff says

a reviewer will do a thorough QA and then the item will be soft-disabled if warranted. Do you actually contact the author at any point during that process? If not, that could be the problem. A customer complains on May 1st. The reviewer completes the QA process on May 15th, and the item is soft disabled. Had you contacted the author on May 1st to notify him that a complaint was received and the QA process would begin, he might be able to identify and fix the bug faster than the reviewer could verify it. He could then update the item, and the soft-disable would not be necessary.
Hey Bryan!

That’s an interesting point. Under the current process we’d only contact an Author when the item has actually been soft disabled. I’m not sure too many Authors would appreciate us contacting them each time a customer raised an issue with their item, as most of the time we aren’t able to replicate the issues.

Christian
by
by
by
by
by
by