7576 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

a reviewer will do a thorough QA and then the item will be soft-disabled if warranted. Do you actually contact the author at any point during that process? If not, that could be the problem. A customer complains on May 1st. The reviewer completes the QA process on May 15th, and the item is soft disabled. Had you contacted the author on May 1st to notify him that a complaint was received and the QA process would begin, he might be able to identify and fix the bug faster than the reviewer could verify it. He could then update the item, and the soft-disable would not be necessary.
Hey Bryan!

That’s an interesting point. Under the current process we’d only contact an Author when the item has actually been soft disabled. I’m not sure too many Authors would appreciate us contacting them each time a customer raised an issue with their item, as most of the time we aren’t able to replicate the issues.

Christian

here is your error right here!

if the buyer request is genuine THEN contact the author BEFORE disable the item.

why is difficult to understand? really people did I miss something here? maybe is me

2635 posts Community Team
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+18 more
contrastblack Envato team says

Hey guys,

I’m not here to lock the thread (awww :D ), just to contribute to the discussion as I used to do more often a while back.

Please take a moment to check through all pages of this thread, and read every post carefully. Remember, as the OP’s intention is a productive discussion and not a rant, as is my intention to point out a one-sided road when I see one.

Notice there are 3 posts by the OP within the first page, consistent with the reason of opening it, supported by somewhat on-topic posts by Creattive, 2 by DigitalScience (based on a good personal example that fits to the OP’s scenario), a new author, a long time mod & elite author, and long time buyer (also elite :P).

Please take a moment to read through that page, a couple of times, and ask yourself, on a neutral level, did the moderator, buyer and new author get any part of their messages quoted? Supported? No. Why do you think that is the case? 2 options: they’ve been overlooked or they didn’t really fit into the scope of the thread (not true, as this one invites everyone to a “discussion”).

Moving on, page two, same story: valuable feedback from multiple members, yet the only visibly supported (i.e: connected posts, at least referencing any mention from a previous one), are from those that agree with what I’d like to call in this case “the flaw”. Even Doru’s post didn’t receive the attention it deserved, despite being objective and showing both sides of the case, at least from his point of view. Again, we have 2 “+1” posts, one that was also posted in the “dictatorial” thread you keep mentioning, and a new story that fits perfectly to the scope of the thread.

You still with me? Cool! Thank you, almost there.

We get to page 3 and this is where it gets really interesting. This is where a lot of good ideas start to pop up (how a soft-disabled page should look like, how comms could be handled, a long post by Christian from Support actually answering many of the questions on the previous page).

Skip to page 4 > no reference to any of the above positive, until mid-page, where fillerspace, an old member, hits the nail and addresses the information Christian provided, again, with some productive contributions to the topic.

This post, in the horrible mile-long format, should explain why sometimes a problem’s perception is multiplied, in a linear environment such as our forums, and what actually causes us to lock some threads after we posted. Even as I wrote this post, NenadVFX posted his ticket ID in here… good thing I refresh another tab to see them coming in. Whoa, look another one by Enabled, another long time moderator and valued author, quoting the OP and chiming in on the situation, and then Doru’s final message before this one. It’s very easy to lose track, very easy to select only the bits of information that fit a certain profile and skip the rest. As you can see, we don’t have that liberty, and we’re trained not to isolate one thing over another… but at one point it becomes impossible to follow the stream of a discussion with overlapping non-sequential flows of intertwining ideas. I mean… just as I was proofreading this, Doru managed to contradict my main argument, although almost nearing the end of page 4, where Christian also responded to fillerspace in the meanwhile :D

Of course, this doesn’t mean I don’t feel for the guy opening a thread because he has a problem (such as the recent one). Actually, I never lock a thread down without knocking on Support’s door or any other available to me for that matter, to ensure the matter is being looked into. Likewise, the thread which has become so popular, despite my best efforts of explaining the decision to lock it as I did so. A lot of continued, intended choices to ignore what I actually wrote in there, perhaps caused by the thought that it’s just some random snippet. Well, it isn’t. If I said it’s being brought up, it is going to be.

On that note, please accept my sincere apologies for stepping in on this conversation, with the sole intention to support a point of view that might differ from that of this thread’s majority. And do try to keep in mind that I respect each and every member of this community in an equal way, so for the sake of productivity, please stop taking my actions personally. I never locked my profile contact form from anyone willing to have a chat, quite the opposite. :)

Cheers!

Later edit: Doru did it again, man… such fast typing skills! :D

Once you’ve read this message, please do take a moment to scroll back to the previous pages, it’s worth a more careful read

29 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Venezuela
argenisferrer Envato team says

a reviewer will do a thorough QA and then the item will be soft-disabled if warranted. Do you actually contact the author at any point during that process? If not, that could be the problem. A customer complains on May 1st. The reviewer completes the QA process on May 15th, and the item is soft disabled. Had you contacted the author on May 1st to notify him that a complaint was received and the QA process would begin, he might be able to identify and fix the bug faster than the reviewer could verify it. He could then update the item, and the soft-disable would not be necessary.
Hey Bryan!

That’s an interesting point. Under the current process we’d only contact an Author when the item has actually been soft disabled. I’m not sure too many Authors would appreciate us contacting them each time a customer raised an issue with their item, as most of the time we aren’t able to replicate the issues.

Christian

here is your error right here!

if the buyer request is genuine THEN contact the author BEFORE disable the item.

why is difficult to understand? really people did I miss something here? maybe is me

I’d love to clarify! And hey community! :)

The thing is that if we have confirmed an item as malfunctioning or misleading, and decide to contact the author (instead of disabling it), then, potential new customers will be buying a product that we know is not 100% working or as described, which is not legal. That is the main reason right there, to continue to sell an item we know to have certain issues, as we can not expect customers to purchase something and wait for an update.

I, of course, understand the point on losing potential business, but if an issue is confirmed by our staff, as an author, do you really want more customers purchasing the item (and potentially getting upset over it) if it has a known problem?

This is certainly an interesting case though.

2277 posts aspire to create - create to inspire
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+9 more
Creattive says

The problem with Nenad’s case is, that the item has been disabled for over 24 hours, but he hasn’t been contacted yet about the reason, although you say here that items only get disabled when the malfunction is already confirmed. Instead of that, he got a message that the review team will check it in the next FEW DAYS.

So it doesn’t seem to be that the malfunction has been confirmed before the item got disabled.

117 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+2 more
NenadVFX says

When I received that mail from support after 15 minutes I’ve contacted Envato Support on twitter with issue ref number to get explanation what I can do to fix it.
Immediately I’ve got respond from the staff member who actually disabled my item and send that mail to me… He told me that review team will need to check my item and that I’ll get explanation shortly… So I waited whole night and half day by the computer to receive that message and react if there’s a problem… But I didn’t got anything… I’ve contacted twitter support today again and from other staff member received answer that the review team will check it in next 1-2 days.
It doesn’t seem that somebody checked what’s wrong with my project (who had 5.0 rating and great feedback) before disabling it.

But as it seams now… My loss will be counted in thousands of dollars if this issue will not be fixed very soon.

29 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Venezuela
argenisferrer Envato team says

The problem with Nenad’s case is, that the item has been disabled for over 24 hours, but he hasn’t been contacted yet about the reason, although you say here that items only get disabled when the malfunction is already confirmed. Instead of that, he got a message that the review team will check it in the next FEW DAYS. So it doesn’t seem to be that the malfunction has been confirmed before the item got disabled.

That’s a good point, the thing is that ,as Christian said, there is more than one reason to disable an item. When we remove one, and let the author know that we disabled the item and are checking it, it is because an issue has been already detected, but requires further assessment, and that it usually takes 1-2 days to check that (although it can take more or less time depending on the situation, each case is different). This usually happens with Copyright related tickets, but can also happen with malfunctions/misleading content that needs to get a deeper look before allowing it to return to the marketplace.

1791 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Located in United States
+8 more
FinalDestiny says

Thank you for all your replies, I really appreciate it. I didn’t really mean to say that Envato is covering up threads, that’s only what it looks like, from a neutral perspective.

The main purpose for this discussion and my end goal was to find out more on soft-rejected items and maybe ask for a little bit more transparency in this process and mostly in topics where staff assistance is needed. Often we need to say something more but we can’t, because the topic gets locked. And the topic gets lost.

I have seen some great ideas here but mostly I would really support the idea of maybe switching a little bit the process of soft-disabling the item. I understand that the law force you to stop selling a product that’s not 100% as advertised or presented but in the case of an old item, it’s been the same for months, disabling a whole theme for a small theme bug (I don’t know, some missing padding or some widget that’s broken perhaps) is a little bit too much. You have sold the theme for months with those “bugs” so an extra 24-48 hours won’t do any damage. I’m sure if you let the user that reported the problem that you’ve notified the author and they have 48 hours to submit a fix… they wouldn’t complain. And everyone would be happy.

Once you get a popular item disabled for even 1 day, it will never get back there. It’s ruined and you can never get back those sales or the place in the popular list. Why get to that point when there are other ways of fixing it?

@Enabled If a blatant copy is found on the marketplaces, yes, I agree with the instant disabling. However, I’m mostly reffering to the soft-disabling of items, items that have been sold for months without anyone saying anything.

I’m really grateful to the support team, but in this matter it’s a matter of minutes, once you submit an update you can’t just wait 24 hours for the item to get back online. Sometimes it’s crucial to get the item back as soon as possible and you’d need 2 persons to help you with this matter: 1) a support team member(by using twitter I got pretty fast replies, but without it, it goes quite slow) and 2) a reviewer. It takes hours, if lucky, to get both of them on your case and put back online. It’s too much. There are solutions posted here that could make the process easier. :(

7576 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

just as clarification I’m referring to disabling items for type of bugs that don’t break the item, just appear in certain situations and not for all clients.

4664 posts Love & Light
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+8 more
digitalscience says

For the record, when my item was soft disabled back in 2012.. I was notified after being soft-disabled about the issue.. Original message here

“This is Sarah from Envato Support. We have initiated a quality review check of your item, Supernova XML Website. Unfortunately, we’ve had to soft disable the file. We’ve received some complaints and after a reviewer inspection we have found issues and/or bugs that need to be fixed.”

Then the email follows how the client was trying to run radio service streaming into a simple mp3 player which was not working… (obviously it was not intended to have this functionality which is what I could have told Envato in the first place)

I don’t really mind about the file since Flash is dead anyways, but just thought it was odd back then for Envato to disable the file without letting me know first and considering it was a top selling item which had been happily selling for years. But my point is you can’t make us feel at risk here with our own work that you can just take it down at any point without warning us first.. at least give us the benefit of the doubt.

603 posts Magento Elite & Gravity Maker
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+3 more
GravityDept says

I, of course, understand the point on losing potential business, but if an issue is confirmed by our staff, as an author, do you really want more customers purchasing the item (and potentially getting upset over it) if it has a known problem?

You can’t be serious.

Show me one item on all of ThemeForest or CodeCanyon that had zero bugs reported by buyers. That cannot be a valid reason for disabling without giving the author reasonable time to respond.

Think of how many bugs Envato has every month, and tell me that policy is justified.

by
by
by
by
by
by